Author Topic: Ex-Trump campaign aide pleads guilty in Russia probe  (Read 188 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Ex-Trump campaign aide pleads guilty in Russia probe
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »
WASHINGTON (AP) — A former top adviser to President Donald Trump's election campaign pleaded guilty Friday to federal conspiracy and false-statements charges in the special counsel's Russia investigation.

The plea by Rick Gates revealed that he is planning to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation as it continues to probe the Trump campaign, Russian election interference and Gates' longtime business associate, Paul Manafort.

Gates, 45, of Richmond, Virginia, made the plea at the federal courthouse in Washington. He admitted to charges accusing him of conspiring against the U.S. government related to fraud and unregistered foreign lobbying as well as lying to federal authorities in a recent interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-trump-campaign-associates-face-more-charges-050743063--politics.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Ex-Trump campaign aide pleads guilty in Russia probe
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »
On Friday, Manafort said in a statement that he maintains his innocence.

"I had hoped and expected my business colleague would have had the strength to continue the battle to prove our innocence. For reasons yet to surface he chose to do otherwise," Manafort said. "This does not alter my commitment to defend myself against the untrue piled-up charges contained in the indictments against me."

This may have something to do with it.....

Under the terms of the plea, Gates is estimated to face between 57 and 71 months behind bars. Prosecutors may seek a shortened sentence depending on his cooperation.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.