Author Topic: Former Trump aide tells loved ones of plans to plead guilty, cooperate with special counsel  (Read 274 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-aide-richard-gates-poised-plead-guilty-cooperate/story?id=53300996

President Donald Trump’s one-time campaign aide Richard Gates has told family and close friends in a letter sent this morning he plans to plead guilty Friday in the special counsel’s criminal case against him, setting up the potential for Gates to become the latest well-informed Trump insider to assist in the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential contest, according to sources close to the matter.

The potential for a guilty plea could dramatically change the dynamics in the investigation, just one day after special counsel Robert Mueller added a raft of new financial and tax charges to the criminal case against Gates and his longtime colleague, Paul Manafort.

Gates has for weeks been vacillating between fighting the charges and pleading guilty, and remained undecided through much of this week, according to the sources. Legal teams for President Trump and Manafort appeared to be unaware as late as Thursday about Gates’ intentions.

In the letter obtained by ABC News, Gates writes to family and friends “despite my initial desire to vigorously defend myself, I have had a change of heart,” Gates explained. “The reality of how long this legal process will likely take, the cost, and the circus-like atmosphere of an anticipated trial are too much. I will better serve my family moving forward by exiting this process.”

more at link

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Just as Judge Nap on Fox suggested would happen.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

setting up the potential for Gates to become the latest well-informed Trump insider

Considering Gates was a campaign staffer backbencher for about a month and the charges against him and Manafart all stem from shady paperwork from 15 years ago, what makes him a "well-informed Trump insider"?

Offline skeeter

Its good to see news with such buoyant undertones for a change.

Its easy to envision the reporter and editor giggling like grade school girls as they pecked away at their laptops putting this story together.