Author Topic: Trump defends the NRA as a group of 'patriots' who want to 'do the right thing'  (Read 302 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump defends the NRA as a group of 'patriots' who want to 'do the right thing'
CNN EXPANSION DC 2017 Kaitlan Collins

By Kaitlan Collins, CNN
Updated 2:30 PM ET, Thu February 22, 2018

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump defended the National Rifle Association on Thursday, saying he believes the organization wants to "do the right thing" in wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that killed 17 people.

Trump, during a roundtable discussion on school shootings with state and local officials at the White House, said he had spoken to officials from the NRA, calling them "good people" and "patriots" who are "ready to do things."

"They're ready to do things," Trump said. "They love this country. The NRA is ready to do things. People like to blame them, and they do have power and all of that, but they want to do things. I told them, 'We're going to have to toughen up.' It doesn't make anyone look good. We can't allow that to happen."

Continued at: https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/politics/donald-trump-nra/index.html

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"If they seize power ... our American freedoms could be lost and our country will be changed forever," he said. "The first to go will be the Second Amendment," LaPierre said.

That is good fundraising material, but I sincerely doubt there would be 38 States to ratify repealing 2A. That said, the country has done stupid things before, like allowing the direct election of senators and prohibition. Still, I think we're a long way from repeal but definitely in danger of major restrictions.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.