Author Topic: Man sues Microsoft for $600M after a forced Windows upgrade destroyed his PC  (Read 480 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Man sues Microsoft for $600M after a forced Windows upgrade destroyed his PC
Fox News, Feb 22, 2018, Brooke Crothers

The lawsuit against Microsoft may seem outlandish, but it expresses a not-uncommon user complaint.

Filed this month by a “Frank K. Dickman Jr.” of Albuquerque, N.M., the lawsuit seeks damages of $600 million from Microsoft and its CEO Satya Nadella.

The plaintiff’s PC, an Asus laptop, came loaded with Windows 7, but then became “non-functional immediately” when the upgrade to Windows 10 failed, according to the complaint filed in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado earlier this month.

The upgrade “deleted the cached, or backup, version of Windows 7,” the complaint states.

“The only sensible remedy is for Microsoft to supply the OEM version of its operating system by download from its website and confirmed by the key code which came with the computer,” the filing notes.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/02/22/man-sues-microsoft-for-600m-after-forced-windows-upgrade-destroyed-his-pc.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I think he added a few too many zeros.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If MS is smart, they'll offer to settle out-of-court by presenting this guy with a brand new iMac Pro....!  ;)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If MS is smart, they'll offer to settle out-of-court by presenting this guy with a brand new iMac Pro....!  ;)

maybe they could give him a life.  Cuz this turkey needs one badly.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

Quote from: the OP
“The only sensible remedy is for Microsoft to supply the OEM version of its operating system by download from its website and confirmed by the key code which came with the computer,” the filing notes.

LOLwhut?

the Win10 ISO is readily downloadable and the installation will phone home for the already registered key.

And the win7 ISO is also readily downloadable, and Win7 can be reinstalled with a simple nuke and pave, using the key off the box itself.

I feel his pain, but someone needs to turn their collar around and preach to the boy about backup.

ALL computer systems should be considered to be volatile at any given moment... That an install borked should be no surprise.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:46:12 am by roamer_1 »

Re:  Reply #4

@roamer_1 was quoting the article, not me.

Online roamer_1

Re:  Reply #4

@roamer_1 was quoting the article, not me.

@Right_in_Virginia
Fixed... Just a lazy quote of the OP on my part... I knew it wasn't you personally.
Sorry about that.

Offline RoosGirl

Frank Dickman?  Really?  And a Jr.  Hilarious.

@Right_in_Virginia
Fixed... Just a lazy quote of the OP on my part... I knew it wasn't you personally.
Sorry about that.

Thanks.