Author Topic: Age limit for buying AR-15 assault rifle 'on the table': White House  (Read 2728 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Age limit for buying AR-15 assault rifle 'on the table': White House
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
France has an interesting option. Instead of banning guns, or banning lorries (trucks, in American-speak) the French instead propose to put the dead bodies "on the table." Burying the dead would be "banned."

The French argue, "Trump's America is missing another opportunity, to feed its migrants."

"During WWII, millions of dead bodies went to waste. But we say "never again.' This time we vow to salvage everything possible."

"We urge President Trump to join this international programme to save humanity, by eating humanity."

"Let's work together to turn this mass murder thing,, around for the benefit of all mankind."

Inspiration for this programme was found at the 2018 Vinter Games of the Olympics, in Korea. Sources indicate they don't let a dog go to waste, and somebody suggested 'what about humans?'
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:10 pm »

So you managed to score a weapon at some random auto-parts store. That sounds fairly back-alley to me. That is not at all the point. Restricting sales to minors does not affect the black market. So then, what does it hurt? If it has no effect, then just do it. Who cares?

So the restriction only impact those who are concerned with following the laws. 

A person who decides to shoot other people obviously isn't concerned with following the laws.

If your goal is to stop the obvious law breaker, more laws is not the answer.  It only makes the law abiding with few choices for self defenses.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 05:38:02 pm »
If your goal is to stop the obvious law breaker, more laws is not the answer.  It only makes the law abiding with few choices for self defenses.

We live in a country and a time when that kind of common sense no longer exists or applies among the vast majority of the population.

They want what feels good and assuages their snowflake sensibilities.

If abolishing the Constitution makes this people feel safe and secure - then they will be all for it.

Because you know.... times have changed and so must we.

To hell with the selfish that refuse to surrender their rights so the snowflakes can feel safer. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 06:21:08 pm »
If they're going to raise the age limit at which you can legally purchase a rifle.  Then Congress also needs raise the age at which you can serve in the military...drive a car and vote to the same age.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 06:29:00 pm »
 :thumbsup:
If they're going to raise the age limit at which you can legally purchase a rifle.  Then Congress also needs raise the age at which you can serve in the military...drive a car and vote to the same age.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:42 pm »
That is not what I am talking about. Do we want 12yr olds or 16yr olds to be able to BUY guns? It is about buying guns, not using them.

Of course. I bought and owned guns WAY before 18/21. What business do you have denying that?

How the hell do you intend to stop them from buying?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:44:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:18 pm »
There is always some jackass that ruins things for everyone. When I was a kid, I could not buy the glue for all the Revell kits I used to get for Christmas and my birthday.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
France has an interesting option. Instead of banning guns, or banning lorries (trucks, in American-speak) the French instead propose to put the dead bodies "on the table." Burying the dead would be "banned."

The French argue, "Trump's America is missing another opportunity, to feed its migrants."

"During WWII, millions of dead bodies went to waste. But we say "never again.' This time we vow to salvage everything possible."

"We urge President Trump to join this international programme to save humanity, by eating humanity."

"Let's work together to turn this mass murder thing,, around for the benefit of all mankind."

Inspiration for this programme was found at the 2018 Vinter Games of the Olympics, in Korea. Sources indicate they don't let a dog go to waste, and somebody suggested 'what about humans?'

Someone's been reading Jonathan Swift ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 06:51:35 pm »
There is always some jackass that ruins things for everyone. When I was a kid, I could not buy the glue for all the Revell kits I used to get for Christmas and my birthday.

#WhyWeCan'tHaveNiceThings
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline thackney

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »
Related to the discussion:

Existing federal and state laws concerning the permitted age for the purchase and possession of hand guns and long guns.

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess
http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/minimum-age/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 07:10:18 pm »
Related to the discussion:

Existing federal and state laws concerning the permitted age for the purchase and possession of hand guns and long guns.

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess
http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/minimum-age/

The people around Giffords should know better.  Age and weapons aren’t the issue.  She was shot by a known mentally ill person over 21 with a Glock 19.  His history should have disqualified him from ownership of weapons at any age.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 12:39:25 am »
NONE of all this macho bravado is relevant to my only point. Yes. I agree with all of you. When I was a kid, home alone, and hungry. I picked up a gun, got some food, and cooked and ate it. I did all that stuff just like you guys ("us") did. True story, my mom was actually mad that I didn't save any for her. You snooze, you lose. That's ok. I'll go get her one. She has to cook it herself.

That is not what I am talking about. Do we want 12yr olds or 16yr olds to be able to BUY guns? It is about buying guns, not using them.

This is not about shooting competitions or hunting. Do you want some pissed off kid to be able to go and buy a goddam Luger? That is an insane idea.

@240B

You are worried about a non-existent problem. Where the hell is a kid going to get the money to spend to buy a Luger or a AR-15? They don't have jobs,so any money they have they get from their parents.

Yeah,I am old enough to remember lusting after a 03 Springfield from the NRA through the mail for $12.95 in "new condition" when I was a 12 year old kid,but I couldn't even come up with $12.95,and there was no way in hell anybody was going to give it to me.

The days of $12.95 03's are long-gone and never to return.

Since "the state" in all it's wisdom determines that 16 year olds are mature enough to get a license to operate something a lot more dangerous than a rifle,why not set the age at 16,and since 16 year olds are still minors,make parental permission a requirement? We all know 16 year old kids who are responsible,and we all know 40 year olds we wouldn't trust to do anything but screw up.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:06 am »

So you managed to score a weapon at some random auto-parts store. That sounds fairly back-alley to me. That is not at all the point. Restricting sales to minors does not affect the black market. So then, what does it hurt? If it has no effect, then just do it. Who cares?

@240B

You asked the wrong question. You should have asked "Since people who really want one can buy one on the black market,why bother to restrict sales to people legally?"

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:59 am »
You asked the wrong question. You should have asked "Since people who really want one can buy one on the black market,why bother to restrict sales to people legally?"

Because 'kids' generally don't have an auto-parts store nearby doling out automatic weapons. Yes. Mentally ill people can get them, of course. But that doesn't mean we can't be more careful. What 19 year old kid buys 10 weapons in a year.

Look, don't get me wrong. I'm with you guys. However, there are normal realistic changes we could make to stop children from being able to buy guns. I don't like kids with guns.

Put me on the anti kids with guns lobby. It is hard for me to understand the pro kids with guns people.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2018, 01:34:33 am »
aligncare wrote:
"Once the public at large large learns that an AR15 is only cosmetically different from virtually any other semi automatic rifle..."

This is never going to happen.
The AR has been around since the 1960's.
If a sizable contingency of "the public" doesn't understand what it is by now, they're never going to.

This gets WORSE with the younger mushheads, because they've been indoctrinated by the leftist-communist "public education system" that a "black rifle" is some kind of souped up murder machine -- just because it's black.

Again, this line of reasoning is a dead ender.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2018, 01:45:44 am »
aligncare wrote:
"Once the public at large large learns that an AR15 is only cosmetically different from virtually any other semi automatic rifle..."

This is never going to happen.
The AR has been around since the 1960's.
If a sizable contingency of "the public" doesn't understand what it is by now, they're never going to.

This gets WORSE with the younger mushheads, because they've been indoctrinated by the leftist-communist "public education system" that a "black rifle" is some kind of souped up murder machine -- just because it's black.

Again, this line of reasoning is a dead ender.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2018, 02:15:04 am »
You obviously have never lived or worked on a ranch or farm. Weapons are necessary, even in the hands of a 13 year old. Blanket top down rules make little sense.

Yes, but on a farm or ranch, the 13 year old will be armed by his or her parents.  A ban on, say, under 21's buying semiautomatic weapons is not the same as a ban on under 21's being issued those weapons by their parents. 

In Britain drinking laws limit the age at which one can buy beer, wine or spirits (with different ages), without the nonsense about not being able to serve alcoholic beverages to older children.  Families sometimes go to the pub and the parents buy a round of beer for the whole family, no problem.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:16:38 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2018, 02:28:45 am »

Because 'kids' generally don't have an auto-parts store nearby doling out automatic weapons.

@240B

Ok,to start,you misread the story. The kid didn't buy a gun at a auto parts store. He bought it at a flea market from a guy that was selling auto parts.

Further more,selling is NOT "doling out"

Yes. Mentally ill people can get them, of course. But that doesn't mean we can't be more careful. What 19 year old kid buys 10 weapons in a year.

What kid has enough money to buy 10 weapons a year? Did he buy them,or were they guns that belonged to his mother and father that he inherited? Yeah,it does make a difference.

Look, don't get me wrong. I'm with you guys. However, there are normal realistic changes we could make to stop children from being able to buy guns.

Children don't buy guns. They are children and don't have any money. In this case,the "child" you are talking about is a legal adult.

I don't like kids with guns.

Ok.
It is hard for me to understand the pro kids with guns people.

I may be wrong,but I suspect most of them were like me,and have been owning guns since they were children. I got my first guy when I was 8. A double barrel 12 gauge with hammers on it that used to belong to my grandfather.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2018, 02:31:01 am »
aligncare wrote:

@Fishrrman

Dat bees racist,'n shit.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:31:54 am by sneakypete »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2018, 02:40:43 am »
@240B

@sneakypete
Ok,to start,you misread the story. The kid didn't buy a gun at a auto parts store. He bought it at a flea market from a guy that was selling auto parts.

This statement is not helping your argument. lol funny stuff. haaha

The rest of what you said...I agree.
The kid was a freaking nutcase with very, very, Liberal parents. Who knows where those guns came from? Or the money?

Further more,selling is NOT "doling out"

What kid has enough money to buy 10 weapons a year? Did he buy them,or were they guns that belonged to his mother and father that he inherited? Yeah,it does make a difference.

Children don't buy guns. They are children and don't have any money. In this case,the "child" you are talking about is a legal adult.

Ok.
I may be wrong,but I suspect most of them were like me,and have been owning guns since they were children. I got my first guy when I was 8. A double barrel 12 gauge with hammers on it that used to belong to my grandfather.

If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 03:15:22 am »

Because 'kids' generally don't have an auto-parts store nearby doling out automatic weapons. Yes. Mentally ill people can get them, of course. But that doesn't mean we can't be more careful. What 19 year old kid buys 10 weapons in a year.

Look, don't get me wrong. I'm with you guys. However, there are normal realistic changes we could make to stop children from being able to buy guns. I don't like kids with guns.

Put me on the anti kids with guns lobby. It is hard for me to understand the pro kids with guns people.
you mean semiauto, right?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28:06 am »
you mean semiauto, right?
@IsailedawayfromFR

Yes. You are correct. I conflate the two because I tend to use them the same way. They seem like the same thing to me. Although, semi auto do use less ammunition. I did notice that.

Anything that you don't have to cock the hammer, or manually chamber a round, in my mind that is what I call an automatic weapon. It is a semantic thing that I can't seem to overcome.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 04:39:04 am »

This statement is not helping your argument. lol funny stuff. haaha[/size]

@240B

You don't know the difference between an auto parts store and a flea market,and *I* am the one that is funny?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2018, 04:51:48 am »
what part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand? of course in today's courts, those are just meaningless words on an old parchment.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2018, 05:40:23 am »
My 2 cents. As an NRA member and an owner of an AR I find nothing wrong with the age 21 proposal. With the exception being military. And there is nothing stopping the parent from being the buyer and gifter of the AR to their child, who would or should be the best judge of the child's maturity. Most of us gun owners got our first gun in that way.
Not all privileges of being adult begin at 18. Can't drink or visit a Casino until 21. Run for Congress until 25, and Senate age 30. President? Age 35. With age comes more responsibility and accountability.   But there will always be those who will accept no gun laws as constitutional.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:52:47 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn