Author Topic: Clarence Thomas SCOLDS fellow Supreme Court justices after refusing to hear gun rights cases…  (Read 3013 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The Supreme Court has passed on hearing a two cases involving California and their gun laws.

The first one:

FOX BUSINESS – In a blow to gun rights activists, the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday turned away a challenge to California’s 10-day waiting period for firearms purchases that is intended to guard against impulsive violence and suicides.

The gun rights groups and individual gun owners who challenged the law had argued that it violated their right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment. The challengers did not seek to invalidate California’s waiting period for everyone, just for people who already owned guns and passed a background check.

The second one:

The high court on Tuesday also declined to take up a National Rifle Association challenge to California’s refusal to lower its fees on firearms sales and instead use a surplus generated by the fees to fund efforts to track down illegal weapons.

Justice Clarence Thomas was clearly displeased that the court passed on taking up these cases, scolding them in his dissent:

In his dissent, Thomas scolded his colleagues. “If a lower court treated another right so cavalierly, I have little doubt this court would intervene,” Thomas wrote. “But as evidenced by our continued inaction in this area, the Second Amendment is a disfavored right in this court.”

Thomas said he suspected that the Supreme Court would readily hear cases involving potentially unconstitutional waiting periods if they involved abortion, racist publications or police traffic stops.

“The right to keep and bear arms is apparently this court’s constitutional orphan. And the lower courts seem to have gotten the message,” Thomas added.

http://therightscoop.com/wow-clarence-thomas-scolds-fellow-supreme-court-justices-after-refusing-to-hear-gun-rights-cases/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fantom

Personally, I am not comfortable with SCOTUS hearing any Second Amendment cases until Trump appoints two more in the mold of Gorsuch.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Personally, I am not comfortable with SCOTUS hearing any Second Amendment cases until Trump appoints two more in the mold of Gorsuch.

Given his decision on bumpstocks today...I'm not sure he'll appoint another pro 2A SCOTUS Justice before he leaves office.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:10:19 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fantom

Given his decision on bumpstocks today...I'm not sure he'll appoint another pro 2A SCOTUS Justice before he leaves office.

It is a dog and pony show...kabuki theatre txradioguy.  The "bumpstock" thing. Politics , have to play the game..... :shrug:

Personally, I am fine with Trumps judges. Hope we get three more SCOTUS. The Judges are one of the bestest things from Trump..... amongst many other.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Did Gorsuch concur with Thomas' dissent?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline skeeter

Agree. Because gun owning Californians are counting on the SCOTUS to stop the accelerating rash of ridiculous 2A infringements being passed willy nilly in this state.

The 10 day waiting period law is positively tolerable compared to some of the other dumb-ass laws the lunatics in this state have passed recently.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Good question....
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I wanna know....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Bump stocks are stupid but I want one now.

They won't stop with bump stocks.   They go for more.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@Sighlass
@Cyber Liberty

Apparently Justice Thomas was the only one to publish a dissent, and no one joined him.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Fantom

Not really a "dissent". As there was no SCOTUS decision, it was rather more a remark.

Having said that, I would hope Gorsuch was of sound enough mind not to bring Second Amendment cases up where there are only three sure votes.

Jus' sayin'.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Sighlass
@Cyber Liberty

Apparently Justice Thomas was the only one to publish a dissent, and no one joined him.

Trump skates...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

Bump stocks are stupid but I want one now.

They won't stop with bump stocks.   They go for more.

Of course, the "Slippery Slope".

I find this massively amusing to the fallacy  of logical argument. To a "Logician" the "Slippery Slope" is a logical fallacy.  I.E.  one cannot logically say that banning... say "machine guns" will lead to a ban on say"semi-autos".

Yet here we find ourselves... ban semi autos.

And that is the fallacy of a Logicians argument.... the "Slippery Slope" is a demonstrable fact.

Frederick Douglass

Offline skeeter

Of course, the "Slippery Slope".

I find this massively amusing to the fallacy  of logical argument. To a "Logician" the "Slippery Slope" is a logical fallacy.  I.E.  one cannot logically say that banning... say "machine guns" will lead to a ban on say"semi-autos".

Yet here we find ourselves... ban semi autos.

And that is the fallacy of a Logicians argument.... the "Slippery Slope" is a demonstrable fact.

Operating the bolt on a single shot rifle takes only a second or two longer than it takes to pull a trigger twice.

Accept a ban on all semi auto rifles, which will follow a ban on AR15s as sure as the sun will rise in the east, and you've  accepted a ban on all firearms, you've surrendered the field.

Offline Fantom

Operating the bolt on a single shot rifle takes only a second or two longer than it takes to pull a trigger twice.

Accept a ban on all semi auto rifles, which will follow a ban on AR15s as sure as the sun will rise in the east, and you've  accepted a ban on all firearms, you've surrendered the field.

888high58888  Right.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Or, in the mold of Thomas.  Can you imagine what could get done with several more of him?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Lee Harvey Oswald did pretty well with a bolt action single-shot.  Granted, the range was about point blank.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

Or, in the mold of Thomas.  Can you imagine what could get done with several more of him?

I would take a bakers dozen. Clarence, Scalia, and I believe Gorsuch.... sad, nine of them do not sit the Court.

Frederick Douglass

Offline skeeter

Lee Harvey Oswald did pretty well with a bolt action single-shot.  Granted, the range was about point blank.

Yes it was. Fact is they cannot be allowed to ban AR15s or 6.5mm Carcanos will be illegal in private hands within 5 years.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:50:52 am by skeeter »

Offline Fantom

Texas tower as to the effect of a bolt action.  Then there is the mad minute... the Brits and the .303 enfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibb5eX58hI

Frederick Douglass

Offline dfwgator

Showed what one motivated Marine and his rifle can do.

Offline Fantom

Yes it was. Fact is they cannot be allowed to ban AR15s or 6.5mm Carcanos will be illegal in private hands within 5 years.

Well, they can ban all of it.

Makes the decision for this Simple Bricklayer rather easy. Outlaw again... I may as well own a real AK-47 or a SAW... instead of the  semi- auto version I lost in a boating accident last year.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Justice Clarence Thomas issued an angry, 14-page dissent in which he complained that lower courts have failed to give the Second Amendment "the respect due an enumerated constitutional right." But none of the court's other conservatives joined him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/20/supreme-court-wont-hear-challenge-californias-waiting-period-gun-purchases/354376002/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@LauraTXNM

Nobody concurred with the dissent.  The ruling is available at the link.   The dissent starts on page 34.   I find one reference saying gorsuch didn't take part but not sure if that means the vote or just part of it.  The vote was not released
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

Here it is...

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-342_4hd5.pdf

No, Gorsuch didn't file any dissent on the summary disposition of the case by order.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:30:44 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn