Author Topic: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks  (Read 13805 times)

Offline DB

Re: BREAKING: TRUMP DIRECTS SESSIONS TO BAN BUMP STOCKS
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2018, 07:17:15 pm »
People have liability insurance for their cars.  Homeowners often have liability insurance for their swimming pools.  I don't think it's that uncommon.

Cars are normally operated on the public roads. Cars that are not operated on public roads do not require insurance.

Pools have liability because lawyers have forced that upon people. Pools don't travel onto other peoples property...

What about a chain saw? Nail gun? Welding equipment? Knives, hammers, any number of other things. How about insurance for the pain medication you might buy that could get in the wrong hands...

Does insurance stop people from driving drunk or without a license? Do people who ignore the law buy insurance?

No.

Name one case where insurance might have prevented a school shooting or any other criminal activity where the law is ignored?

You are just putting up another impediment to exorcising a basic constitutional right without any actual affect on criminal behavior.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2018, 07:18:48 pm »
@thackney and as I noted earlier...state insurance regulators could make the cost of a "gun insurance policy" so expensive it prohibits most people from ownership...creating a defacto gun ban.

And I totally agree, this could be an issue.  Some states already have really expensive car insurance.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:10 pm »
I was mainly asking about "gun insurance" in case there's a hunting accident and the injured person needs medical care, physio, etc.

The closest you can get to something like that is the insurance policies offered by USCCA and the NRA's Carry Guard.  Those are mainly to protect a gun owner in the event they use their weapon in self defense.  My USCCA policy provides $500K for legal fees money for me while I'm in court in case I'm in a jurisdiction that has a gun grabbing DA or police chief...and up to $100K for bail money.

To the best of my knowledge there is no insurance to protect you in the event of a negligent discharge...which is what an accidental shooting really is.

Nor should there be. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2018, 07:21:08 pm »
And I totally agree, this could be an issue.  Some states already have really expensive car insurance.

And the gun hating states already have impossibly high fees for carry permits trying to dissuade people from buying guns.  Seattle taxes every individual bullet you buy in a box.  California has slapped some very high taxes outside normal sales taxes on the purchase of a firearm.

There is a clear history of abuse of the law and the 2A by states already.  Adding this to their arsenal of anti 2A measures isn't a good idea.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online roamer_1

Re: Trump to take steps to ban bump stocks
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2018, 07:21:50 pm »
It takes a year and a background check up the wazoo to get a concealed carry permit in Dutchess County NY. If you need to carry because of an imminent threat, you’re as good as dead.

Not so here. And I might add that this bump stock furor really won't effect me. Montana won't honor it for manufacturers in state selling to Montanans.

But you are all too willing to try to take rights away from me because you are already under draconian laws. You should be thinking the other way around.

And I'll beg to differ. No matter where I am, if I need a gun, I will go get it, and I will have it very quickly. For all your silly laws, I will bet good money that I can go down to your town and buy anything the hell I want, right off the street.

I stand by my statement. Post Parkland Florida, a bump stock ban would be both symbolic and meaningless. Look, a significant percentage of Americans are moderate voters and squishy libs. They need their meaningless symbolism, it comforts them. Who are we to deny these Americans and potential cross over voters?

NO. it is NOT meaningless. It is legally limiting the fire rate, necessarily. That effects trigger systems, that effects customization.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2018, 07:22:50 pm »
Trump won't gain one vote from this...the people whining aren't going to vote for him anyway. All he did was piss off conservatives.

THAT'S A FACT.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:39 pm »
Would you support an insurance requirement as part of a carry license?

LOL! Oh HELL NO.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »
Cars are normally operated on the public roads. Cars that are not operated on public roads do not require insurance.

Pools have liability because lawyers have forced that upon people. Pools don't travel onto other peoples property...

What about a chain saw? Nail gun? Welding equipment? Knives, hammers, any number of other things. How about insurance for the pain medication you might buy that could get in the wrong hands...

Does insurance stop people from driving drunk or without a license? Do people who ignore the law buy insurance?

The reason we have car insurance, is to help the victim if we are at fault in an accident.  That's the ONLY reason I was asking about insurance -- in case of some kind of accident.  I'm not being critical; I was just curious how this is handled.  If there is a hunting accident, wouldn't insurance be helpful to pay for the injured person's medical expenses?  Or repair a window or something if it gets broken?   It just seems like it would be helpful rather than having to pay out of pocket. 

I'm not making any proposal at all.  I just know we live in a very litigious society (I'm sure that's 9/10 of the swimming pool coverage).   And sometimes someone is legitimately injured.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2018, 07:28:16 pm »
What about if it was for carrying outside your home?

NO. That's the very same thing as requiring it.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2018, 07:30:09 pm »
People have liability insurance for their cars.  Homeowners often have liability insurance for their swimming pools.  I don't think it's that uncommon.

@LauraTXNM
What would the purpose of the insurance to be other than increase the cost of exercising a Constitutionally protected right?

Would insurance have paid for this guys actions?  Would it have stopped him?  If I legally use my firearm for self defense should my insurance have to pay for the attackers injuries?

What insurance company would sell policies under these circumstances?

If you're only talking accidental or negligent use of firearms then you are saying its appropriate to force 100 million gun owners to buy insurance because approximately 3,800 people made a mistake.

Then theres the 31,959 accidental deaths caused by falls.   Or the 42,032 caused by accidental poisoning.      Just curious if you think we should have to carry insurance for those other causes of the 135,928 accidental deaths as well.  (less than 34,000 are from motor vehicles)
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2018, 07:30:27 pm »
Again the answer is no if it's forced upon us as a requirement to have a permit. 

Heck, I'm against the permit in the first place.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:40 pm »
So we can't be required to show a govt provided ID in order to vote.

But forcing people to jump through all kinds of hoops to own a firearm is ok?

Do I have that correct?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »
@thackney and as I noted earlier...state insurance regulators could make the cost of a "gun insurance policy" so expensive it prohibits most people from ownership...creating a defacto gun ban.

And once tyrant-enablers like Jazzy get some kind of registration and insurance mandate to own a gun, the moment the next nut job uses a gun in a mass murder event (like all the felons in Chicago that miraculously are able to obtain firearms) - these same people will 'scream enough is enough' and demand confiscation and that only government agents are permitted to have weapons.

Because that is where ALL of this goes.  Everything being discussed is simply how many increments do we have to go through in order to achieve the defacto abolishment of the 2nd Amendment?

And as always - the Elites will be exempt from the laws they push on us little people.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:18 pm »
And once tyrant-enablers like Jazzy get some kind of registration and insurance mandate to own a gun, the moment the next nut job uses a gun in a mass murder event (like all the felons in Chicago that miraculously are able to obtain firearms) - these same people will 'scream enough is enough' and demand confiscation and that only government agents are permitted to have weapons.

Because that is where ALL of this goes.  Everything being discussed is simply how many increments do we have to go through in order to achieve the defacto abolishment of the 2nd Amendment?

And as always - the Elites will be exempt from the laws they push on us little people.

You nailed it sir.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »

Do I have that correct?

You are tracking.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »

Do I have that correct?

Excellent point.

And YES - because voter fraud is an inalienable and uninfringible right for the Left.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:09 pm »

Do I have that correct?

Yes, and the "logic" was brought to you by the same people that thought it was a good idea to fine people who can't afford to purchase health insurance.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:19 pm »
I was mainly asking about "gun insurance" in case there's a hunting accident and the injured person needs medical care, physio, etc.

So basically, take the ability of gun ownership and use... the ability to defend, away from the poor.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »

@LauraTXNM
From what I've experienced most hunting accidents do not actually involve the gun.  They involve falling, over exertion or vehicle accidents.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2018, 08:02:17 pm »
@LauraTXNM
From what I've experienced most hunting accidents do not actually involve the gun.  They involve falling, over exertion or vehicle accidents.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »
@LauraTXNM

Thanks.  That's more what I was trying to ask -- if someone like Dick Cheney's friend gets shot in a hunting accident, how do you all deal with it?  Does Dick Cheney just pay the medical expenses out of pocket?  If I hit someone with my car, I can pay personally or put it on my insurance. 

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2018, 08:05:20 pm »
Sorry if I derailed your all's discussion.  I wasn't asking about insurance because of the FL shooter.  I was really just curious if it ever comes up.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:07 pm »
LOL.  Firearm insurance.  This will create a whole new industry for the government; providing subsidies for democrat voters who can't afford the insurance.

In Florida auto insurance is not required if you escrow $100,000.  Curious if the insurance proponents would find that just as acceptable.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:31 pm »

Did you hear about the picture of Rob Porter’s ex-wife with the black guy?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:20 pm »
Thanks.  That's more what I was trying to ask -- if someone like Dick Cheney's friend gets shot in a hunting accident, how do you all deal with it?  Does Dick Cheney just pay the medical expenses out of pocket?  If I hit someone with my car, I can pay personally or put it on my insurance.

@LauraTXNM
How do you handle it if you injure someone with any tool?   Either they pay for it themselves, ask you to pay or they can seek remedy through the civil courts.

As far as I know my health insurance will pay if I am accidentally shot, knifed, clubbed, beaten with a squirrel or fall and break my leg.