Author Topic: How Much Does the U.S. Government Subsidize Electricity Generating Technologies?  (Read 823 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

When considering only the portion of fossil fuel support that relates to electric power, renewables receive far more federal help

Exactly what is a subsidy, who pays for them, and who benefits? Everybody in the energy business has an opinion but few people agree on any one answer. The American Petroleum Institute, an oil and gas trade association, offers a fact sheet arguing that their industry isn’t subsidized; the Nuclear Energy Institute offers an analysis that reaches contrary conclusions. Renewables either receive disproportionate largess or are underfunded, depending on whom you ask.

While these questions incite cross-talk, not cross-tabulation. But we elected to do the latter as part of a comprehensive, interdisciplinary research project called the Full Cost of Electricity (FCe-) conducted by the University of Texas at Austin Energy Institute. Our analysis of energy subsidies aims to estimate the magnitude of federal financial support offered to various electricity supply chains and technologies—gas turbines, nuclear power plants, wind turbines—from mine-mouth to wall socket.

Over the period 2010 to 2019, we identified 76 programs worth US $11 billion to $18 billion per year that met our criteria for intentionality, selectivity/preferentiality, and the potential for wealth transfer. Bottom line? In total dollars, the fossil fuel industry receives benefits comparable to that for the renewables industry, but when considering only the portion of fossil fuel support that relates to electric power, renewables receive far more support.

Different technologies benefit from different kinds of financial support, a complex arrangement that lends itself to calculations that tell only part of the story. Renewable generation is supported by direct subsidies (money for electricity) while generation from fossil fuels is supported via indirect subsidies (tax preferences on fuel production). Some would argue that subsidies need to be narrowly defined as transactional, à la money for electricity. We disagree.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/policy/how-much-does-the-us-government-subsidize-electricity-generating-technologies
We are pouring many billions into power generating schemes that yield a paltry % of US electricity production.

And most of that is from hydro-electric power which is not receiving the levels of subsidies that wind, solar and biomass are receiving.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

I think the second graph is quite informative for what we get in return for the dollars spent.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think the second graph is quite informative for what we get in return for the dollars spent.

Yeah, and this is in the WSJ today.

Mandates, Not Market Prices, Likely to Keep U.S. Solar Growing
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mandates-not-market-prices-likely-to-keep-u-s-solar-growing-1519128001
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington