Author Topic: White House: Trump willing to 'improve the federal background check system' for gun purchases  (Read 1563 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House: Trump willing to 'improve the federal background check system' for gun purchases
by Anna Giaritelli | Feb 19, 2018, 9:26 AM

President Trump is open to congressional efforts to enhance the federal background check system for gun purchases, the White House said in a statement issued Monday morning, less than a week after the Parkland, Fla., massacre.

"While discussions are ongoing and revisions are being considered, the president is supportive of efforts to improve the federal background check system," Shah said.

Shah added that Trump spoke on Friday with Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, about a bipartisan bill he introduced with Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn. The legislation would improve how state and federal governments report on people who are convicted of crimes, and could ban more from purchasing guns.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting last Monday resulted in the death of 17 people. Fourteen others were wounded in the attack.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-trump-willing-to-improve-the-federal-background-check-system-for-gun-purchases/article/2649452
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

"We've got to protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately, immediately! Harrumph, harrumph!"

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Because the FedGov did such a great job in stopping it in the first place. An acquaintance made up this graphic to show all the failure points that took place...

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Because the FedGov did such a great job in stopping it in the first place. An acquaintance made up this graphic to show all the failure points that took place...

@AbaraXas
Great graphic but the only part I disagree with the is the teacher one.   The first people shot in this case were teachers who tried to stop him from entering the school.  They were unarmed and died.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I wish Republican spokespeople would get more informed about gun violence.

There was a show on Fox this morning with a Dem and a Pub.  The Dem had one of those scruffy beards ...the 5 days ones and his hair was scruffy as well.  He was way too old to attempt the young hippy look.

So he immediately trotted out the meme of how the U.S. has more gun violence than any other country.  So, just yesterday, I read that if you remove 4 major U.S. cities (all of them with the strictest possible guns laws from the equation) the U.S. is close to the bottom in gun violence.

How come if I know that statistic, no PUbs seem to?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The Republican dude did point out that our public schools are the only 'public' places in America that are gun free and therefore, a gun maniac can enter a school with the certainty he won't get shot.

All other public places and buildings have armed security.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

@AbaraXas

What were they supposed to charge him with, when they were called to his home?  Was it always because of him?  Was there a charge they could have held and convicted him on (before the animal one)?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:49:09 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GrouchoTex

@AbaraXas

Visions of ISO9000 flashed into my head upon reading your flow chart...

Offline libertybele

This is such CRAP!  Don't these stupid liberals realize that someone who is going to obtain a gun with the intent to plot a mass shooting isn't going to register the freakin' weapon nor go through a background check?

This time the issue isn't going to go away and if Trump even slightly bends to the left on this they will not be satisfied until we are made to hand over our weapons.

The FBI needs a drastic overhaul as does our DOJ.  Put armed guards in the schools and put up barriers around the entry ways so gun slinging maniacs have no way to enter!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@AbaraXas

Visions of ISO9000 flashed into my head upon reading your flow chart...

The fellow who drew that is thoroughly familiar with ISO9000.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

President Trump is open to congressional efforts to enhance the federal background check system for gun purchases ...

I think this ranks as one of the best noncommittal replies I've seen in a long time.  Well done, Mr. President.   ^-^

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Laz "I'd Hit that" Mataz!   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Laz "I'd Hit that" Mataz!   

Yep, he can be pretty smart when he leaves his character behind.

Offline GrouchoTex

Yep, he can be pretty smart when he leaves his character behind.

Now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while, from TOS.
I hadn't been there in a long time now.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@AbaraXas

What were they supposed to charge him with, when they were called to his home?  Was it always because of him?  Was there a charge they could have held and convicted him on (before the animal one)?

It appears that at least one time when the mother called the police, she declined to have him charged with "elder abuse".   That would have started a legal process.  I don't know how we convince people to turn in their children/family. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline GrouchoTex

We were told that the reason the Bush administration created the Department of Homeland Security was so that all these local, county, state and Federal alphabet agencies could all have real-time  access to the same data.

What happened to that?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
So, just yesterday, I read that if you remove 4 major U.S. cities (all of them with the strictest possible guns laws from the equation) the U.S. is close to the bottom in gun violence.

How come if I know that statistic, no PUbs seem to?

That would be racist, for it would demonstrate the fact, blacks commit murder at around 7 times the rates of whites.

And we can't have that being discussed.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

The fellow who drew that is thoroughly familiar with ISO9000.
I assume that means "government style flow charting?"

Offline LauraTXNM

So, just yesterday, I read that if you remove 4 major U.S. cities (all of them with the strictest possible guns laws from the equation) the U.S. is close to the bottom in gun violence.

Ooh, which ones?  Did Los Angeles make the list?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

It appears that at least one time when the mother called the police, she declined to have him charged with "elder abuse".   That would have started a legal process.  I don't know how we convince people to turn in their children/family.
A few years ago, I heard that police, when called for "domestic violence," were REQUIRED TO ARREST ONE PARTY.

My point, is a family member should perhaps, not be the decision maker. We learn later, that "declined to press charges," was not the proper choice.

So called ELDERS can be intimidated.

Offline LauraTXNM

A few years ago, I heard that police, when called for "domestic violence," were REQUIRED TO ARREST ONE PARTY.

My point, is a family member should perhaps, not be the decision maker. We learn later, that "declined to press charges," was not the proper choice.

So called ELDERS can be intimidated.

I completely agree. 

Offline truth_seeker

Ooh, which ones?  Did Los Angeles make the list?
The highest murder rates in California are Salinas and San Bernardino (perhaps Hispanics) and Oakland (blacks).

Here is a list of the top 30 cities in the country, ranked by murder rate (demographics should be obvious):

(Lost Angeles not on list.)

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#31

Offline LauraTXNM

The highest murder rates in California are Salinas and San Bernardino (perhaps Hispanics) and Oakland (blacks).

Here is a list of the top 30 cities in the country, ranked by murder rate (demographics should be obvious):

(Lost Angeles not on list.)

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#31

Thanks for this!

Offline truth_seeker

Thanks for this!

Different states have different typical "cities." Both Lost Angeles and San Diego are huge sprawling areas, comprised of typical inner city high-crime districts, as well as very rich low-crime districts (Hollywood Hills, La Jolla).

Offline Applewood

We were told that the reason the Bush administration created the Department of Homeland Security was so that all these local, county, state and Federal alphabet agencies could all have real-time  access to the same data.

What happened to that?

They were also supposed to cooperate and work with one another.  From the Stephen Paddock case, it looks like the fed agencies (FBI) are too busy staking out their turf to bother keeping local law enforcement in the loop.  The feds sure don't share with the public either.  Whatever happened to transparency?