Author Topic: Florida school shooting: 19-year-old accused of killing 17 is a 'broken child,' lawyer says  (Read 1677 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Florida school shooting: 19-year-old accused of killing 17 is a 'broken child,' lawyer says

By Karma Allen
    EMILY SHAPIRO

Feb 15, 2018, 3:25 PM ET

A day after the Valentine’s Day massacre at a Florida high school left 17 people dead, the suspect's public defender called the accused gunman a "broken child."

Public defender Melisa McNeill appeared with the school shooting suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, at a brief court appearance today.

"My children they go to school in this community and I feel horrible for these families," McNeill said, adding, "and Mr. Cruz feels that pain."

Students, parents and faculty at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland are struggling to fathom why the former student allegedly opened fire there Wednesday as law enforcement officials searched for clues and the school district denied suggestions that it had been warned.

Besides the 17 killed, more than a dozen others were injured, some critically, after the suspect stormed the school.

more
http://abcnews.go.com/US/students-parents-desperate-answers-police-investigate-florida-school/story?id=53103817
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
"and Mr. Cruz feels that pain."

He's just the innocent victim of an evil gun.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I'm guessing the only reason this kid has a public defender is because Geragos and Allred took each other out in a collision, trying to get there first.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:33:54 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

Calling a 19 year old a child is part of the problem. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

At 19, he's practically a baby compared to the 26 year olds that can stay on their parent's Obamacare plans.

Offline mountaineer

At 19, he's practically a baby compared to the 26 year olds that can stay on their parent's Obamacare plans.
Also a problem!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Right you are!

Online Lando Lincoln

It can be an assault on our sensitivities but the same Constitution that ensures our right to keep and bear arms allows for due process and legal representation for this hideous perpetrator. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Frank Cannon

"Yes the rumors are true. I am a bottom feeding shitbag lawyer."

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
It can be an assault on our sensitivities but the same Constitution that ensures our right to keep and bear arms allows for due process and legal representation for this hideous perpetrator.

That is correct.  This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate. Give the bastard a fair trail then hang him in front of every one in the town square
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Yes, that is true - and important not to forget.   But I hope (assuming the death penalty exists in Florida) that prosecutors don't take the easy way out and let him plead guilty in exchange for avoiding a date with the gibbet jockey.  As a taxpayer,  the last thing I want to do is pay for this idiot's upkeep for the next sixty years.  Justice, to be worthy of the name, needs to be swift and sure.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Lando Lincoln

That is correct.  This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate. Give the bastard a fair trail then hang him in front of every one in the town square

True enough - we've bastardized the process so it will take a lifetime to complete. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline edpc

Yes, that is true - and important not to forget.   But I hope (assuming the death penalty exists in Florida) that prosecutors don't take the easy way out and let him plead guilty in exchange for avoiding a date with the gibbet jockey.  As a taxpayer,  the last thing I want to do is pay for this idiot's upkeep for the next sixty years.  Justice, to be worthy of the name, needs to be swift and sure.   

Florida does have capital punishment and prosecutors will likely seek it.  However, that will take a lengthy process of appeals and you never know what future governor may commute the sentence to life.  So, your last statement is correct.

Offline edpc

Cruz looks like the WV twins you find in a web search of 'inbred.'

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

"Yes the rumors are true. I am a bottom feeding shitbag lawyer."

I hope I never need a public defender.  But I am glad that our system provides them for those who need them, guilty or not.  And I'd bet this woman works for not much money -- nobody becomes a public defender to get rich.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hope I never need a public defender.  But I am glad that our system provides them for those who need them, guilty or not.  And I'd bet this woman works for not much money -- nobody becomes a public defender to get rich.

DITTO....well said
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline WingNot

Ah Jesus...another one of the misguided has landed here on our island..       
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:40:23 am by Wingnut »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ah Jesus...another one of the misguided has landed here on our island..     

Everyone is entitled to a lawyer, even this scumbag.

That is no way to welcome a new member..be nice.
Support the USO

Offline WingNot

That is no way to welcome a new member..be nice.

Oh bullshit. I smell a rat.  You want to be nice...have at it. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I wish you would all quit bickering and eat me.

The nerve of this woman to say the shooter felt the pain of his victims' families. That's just beyond ....
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

I wish you would all quit bickering and eat me.

The nerve of this woman to say the shooter felt the pain of his victims' families. That's just beyond ....

Whatever is eating you died.  It was a sign to others not to  risk it.

Offline dfwgator

Other 19 year-old "Children" with guns.....

Offline WingNot

Other 19 year-old "Children" with guns.....

What a bunch of Snowflakes.   

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A day after the Valentine’s Day massacre at a Florida high school left 17 people dead, the suspect's public defender called the accused gunman a "broken child."

I do not care. 

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
"and Mr. Cruz feels that pain."

He's just the innocent victim of an evil gun.

No, he's just crazy.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.