Author Topic: Several Brands of Dog Food Have Been Recalled For Salmonella  (Read 514 times)

Offline Suppressed

Several Brands of Dog Food Have Been Recalled For Salmonella
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:56:07 pm »
Kirsten Korosec
Fortune
February 14, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/several-brands-dog-food-recalled-170952353.html

Salmonella is showing up in a variety of pet foods, prompting the Food and Drug Administration to issue recalls and safety warnings for dog food products from five different companies since the beginning of February, including Raws For Paws Dog Food, Red Barn Pet Products, and Smokehouse Pet Products.

The FDA is also investigating a pattern of contamination in raw pet foods made by Arrow Reliance Inc., which produces products for Darwin’s Natural Pet Products and ZooLogics Pet Food.

[...]

Excerpt.  Please go to link for details.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:36:03 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Several Brands of Dog Food Have Been Recalled For Salmonella
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 07:56:24 pm »
@Freya  Doggie Ping
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:12 pm »

Excerpt.  Please go to link for details.

Rookie.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:48:28 pm »
I make dog treats for my dog.  He is allergic to chicken and I prefer grain free.  Almost all the treats have some chicken in them.  The ones that are truly single source are expensive.  Great Pyrenees respond poorly to discipline, especially physical discipline.  They were bred to be independent and that is what you get.  You do much better with positive reinforcement (that way the bad dog harangue has at least some meaning).   Atticus is very motivated by food.  Hence treats that are very low calorie, have no grains and nothing he is allergic to.  I can use them as positive reinforcement without turning him into a giant white bowling ball and without breaking the bank.

And I know the treats are safe.  I store them in the freezer and only put them in the treat jar a few at a time.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »
I make dog treats for my dog.  He is allergic to chicken and I prefer grain free.  Almost all the treats have some chicken in them.  The ones that are truly single source are expensive.  Great Pyrenees respond poorly to discipline, especially physical discipline.  They were bred to be independent and that is what you get.  You do much better with positive reinforcement (that way the bad dog harangue has at least some meaning).   Atticus is very motivated by food.  Hence treats that are very low calorie, have no grains and nothing he is allergic to.  I can use them as positive reinforcement without turning him into a giant white bowling ball and without breaking the bank.

And I know the treats are safe.  I store them in the freezer and only put them in the treat jar a few at a time.

I would be interested in learning the recipes for the treats that you make. I cook for my dog as she has a very tender tummy and doesn't tolerate commercial food, but I still use commercial dog treats (Milk Bone) for rewards. She loves them, but since I prepare her regular food for her anyway I've thought about making treats as well. Unfortunately, some of the recipes that I've seen online don't seem like something my dog would actually like.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 04:48:00 am »
I make pumpkin cookies with a can of pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie filling) oatmeal, rice flour, cinnamon, molasses. and an egg. I think it could be made without egg, too.  I don't have exact measurements but I found the recipe online. My dogs also love sweet potato cookies.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 05:00:11 am »

Shit! This is bad news. I guess the poor people will have to eat cat food till this get sorted out.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:36 am »

Shit! This is bad news. I guess the poor people will have to eat cat food till this get sorted out.

Who can afford dog or cat food these days, especially this Raw Food stuff??
+++++++++