Author Topic: Trump legal team builds case against Mueller interview, cites Clinton precedent  (Read 324 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Rowan Scarborough - The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 14, 2018

President Trump’s legal team is citing a three-pillar argument to convince investigators, and the public, that President Trump shouldn’t sit down for an interview with special counsel Robert Mueller.

Mr. Mueller wants access to the president as part of an inquiry into suspected obstruction of justice in the firing of the special counsel’s longtime friend, FBI Director James B. Comey, in May. The president’s legal team has resisted but not given a firm no.

Here are the arguments against an interview.

• The White House has given Mr. Mueller unprecedented access to White House documents and people.

• There is no stated crime.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/14/trump-lawyers-resist-robert-mueller-interview-cite/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“The president cannot interfere in a counterintelligence investigation,” Mr. McCarthy wrote in National Review. “Trump can no more obstruct the Russia investigation by taking actions that could conceivably affect it than Obama could obstruct the Russia investigation by being briefed on it and giving the FBI directions on it. Counterintelligence investigations are conducted for the president.”

He's correct and that's why the 'potus wants to know everything we're doing' text fell flat.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:22:16 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

He's correct and that's why the 'potus wants to know everything we're doing' text fell flat.

Say again?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

Say again?

There was an initial reaction to the Strzok tweet.  People believed it pointed to collusion and/or obstruction.  The context was regarding a counterintelligence investigation.

Presidents have the authority to be informed and direct those.  That's not the case with criminal investigations.  Unfortunately, this came from Sen. Ron Johnson, who had previously embarrassed himself with the 'secret society' nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:29:53 pm by edpc »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Trump legal team is right on this. Muellers investigation has so far been undisciplined and unfocused with a very vague and unspecifiic methodology to achieve the supposed goal of digging up election collusion with the Russians.

This is the is the Office of the President. By no means should Mueller be able to walk in with perjury traps and other gotchas just to come up with something from this fishing expedition. Either it be something concrete, or no dice.

I never agreed with Clinton's impeachment on perjury charges about sex, and I don't agree with any kind of perjury snags today.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

I never agreed with Clinton's impeachment on perjury charges about sex, and I don't agree with any kind of perjury snags today.

He lied to a grand jury.  It doesn't matter what it was about.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

He lied to a grand jury.  It doesn't matter what it was about.

In terms of the POTUS, the Constitution, and High Crimes and Misdemeanors? Yes it does. Impeachment is not a political gotcha, certainly not over sex. The standard was cheapened by doing that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

In terms of the POTUS, the Constitution, and High Crimes and Misdemeanors? Yes it does. Impeachment is not a political gotcha, certainly not over sex. The standard was cheapened by doing that.

He also suborned perjury and obstructed justice in an investigation directly involving him.  Nixon was on the verge of impeachment over a B&E he had nothing to do with.  Part of the definition includes abuse of authority.  If Clinton wasn't guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors, the terms have no meaning.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
He also suborned perjury and obstructed justice in an investigation directly involving him.  Nixon was on the verge of impeachment over a B&E he had nothing to do with.  Part of the definition includes abuse of authority.  If Clinton wasn't guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors, the terms have no meaning.

Which was all in relation to the Lewinsky investigation, which in relation to all else that was going on in the admin was sideshow carnival stuff, but they chose that road anyway.

And now, anytime a GOP president peeps the wrong way, they want to impeach them.
The Republic is lost.