Author Topic: Report: VA Secretary Shulkin Turned Summit in Europe into 'Sightseeing' Trip  (Read 757 times)

Offline endicom

Townhall
Cortney O'Brien
Feb. 14, 2018

VA Secretary David Shulkin and his wife enjoyed some tennis matches at Wimbledon last year during a trip through Europe. The problem? Taxpayers reportedly footed the bill. Shulkin, the only holdover in Trump's cabinet from the Obama administration, is accused of improperly accepting the sports tickets and thousands of dollars in flights during a trip that was supposed to be for a veterans affairs summit.

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/02/14/report-va-secretary-improperly-accepted-wimbledon-tickets-n2449226

Offline endicom

I think this is common but don't think it would be news if Her Hillary was in office.

Offline Concerned

I think this is common but don't think it would be news if Her Hillary was in office.

I sure hope it's not common to make "false representations to a VA ethics lawyer and (to alter) an official email to secure approval for taxpayer funding" for spouses of government employees.   I just don't understand why these cabinet members think they're entitled to travel with their spouses at taxpayer expense, for first class flights, and for charter flights.  That's just outrageous IMO, and it sure doesn't sound like it's "efficient, effective, accountable" as Trump's Budget claims.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Concerned

A Republican member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee called on VA Secretary David Shulkin to resign Wednesday after an internal investigation found Shulkin had improperly accepted Wimbledon tennis tickets and charged taxpayers for his wife's airfare during a European trip last summer.

Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., an Army veteran and a retired Marine Corps officer, tweeted that Shulkin "must RESIGN now."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/14/gop-rep-calls-on-va-secretary-shulkin-to-resign-over-europe-trip-expenses.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline endicom

I sure hope it's not common to make "false representations to a VA ethics lawyer and (to alter) an official email to secure approval for taxpayer funding" for spouses of government employees.

My experience tells me that it probably is common. If you've found one doing it in what seems a routine fashion then you're probably within sight of a hundred more.

Thanks for the link in your next post.

Oceander

Rhetorically speaking: how damned hard is it to figure out that you shouldn’t be charging your employer, or the taxpayers, for your personal pleasure trips?

Offline endicom

Rhetorically speaking: how damned hard is it to figure out that you shouldn’t be charging your employer, or the taxpayers, for your personal pleasure trips?

Experientially speaking, pretty damned hard for many or most people.