Author Topic: BREAKING>> Active Shooter Florida High School... Developing... Multiple victims...  (Read 24723 times)

Offline Suppressed

An 18 year old can join the Military and be shipped to Iraq and Afghanistan and get his limbs blown off, but can’t buy a gun?

If that law is passed, then they need to raise the age to 21 for joining the Military and voting.

Or lower everything back to 18 as it should be, including alcohol.  If a kid is old enough to vote and join the Military, then he is an adult.

@anubias  I think this sums it up well:
! No longer available

It's a Sorry World
by Tim Wilson

You can go to war when you're 18
But you can't buy a beer
You can launch missiles from a submarine
But you can't buy a pistol here
You can breathe chemical weapon fumes
But they don't want you to smoke
So when you're shootin' up a bar in Baghdad, don't order a rum and coke

You can have sex when you're 17
You just can't have the cigarette
You ain't old enough for a slot machine
Or to lay down a football bet
But they'll take you at the clinic if you're 15
And your folks don't have to know
Or you can take penicillin,
Just don't watch people gettin' naked on video

You can be a governor at 21
Or a president at 35
You can be the senator from South Carolina
If you can just stay alive
They'll throw you in with sharks when you're 12 years old
Teach you to scuba dive
But when you're 94 and can't see anymore
they'll still let you drive

Just don't get caught with no beer in your hand if you just turned 18
They don't mind you ownin' acetylene torch
and a gallon of gasoline
You just can't buy smokes at the liquor store or y'all will both go to jail
But they'll sell you a rope
so you can hang yourself while you're listening to Nine Inch Nails

It's a sorry world
It's a sooo-rry world
It's a sorry world when you can raise younguns but you can't smoke a Marlboro
It's a sorry world when you're 17 and you can't call a callgirl.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:44:23 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Problem is, brain chemistry works independently from morality and discipline ;(.

And firearms in the hands of proficient and law abiding citizens puts a quick end to those acting violently because of bad brain chemistry.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline verga

I cannot confirm if this is true or not, but I heard on the radio during an interview with Gov Rick Scott, that in Florida, he would have had to been 21 to purchase a pistol but at 18, could legally purchase an AR15. If that is true, that's rather stupid.
@Neverdul New York State is even more stupid. You can by a rifle, shotgun, and ammunition at age 18. You can take your concealed carry pistol class at age 18. You are not allowed to purchase a pistol from a dealer until you are 21, but are allowed to buy it from a private seller. When my neighbor turned 18 he got his permit, he gave me the cash and I bought he pistol for him from a dealer then turned around and sold it to him with out even putting it on my permit. All legal.   
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
An 18 year old can join the Military and be shipped to Iraq and Afghanistan and get his limbs blown off, but can’t buy a gun?

If that law is passed, then they need to raise the age to 21 for joining the Military and voting.

Or lower everything back to 18 as it should be, including alcohol.  If a kid is old enough to vote and join the Military, then he is an adult.

Yep!
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Family must be rebuilt over 'It Takes A Village'.

It's up to Parents to teach Gun Safety.

Or expand the Village, like in Israel.  Everyone serves, and rifles are an everyday sight.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Or expand the Village, like in Israel.  Everyone serves, and rifles are an everyday sight.
Actually, before the Gun Free School thing, it was not unusual to see the pickups in the High School parking lot here with an impressive array of long guns in the rifle racks. No one ever thought of shooting up the school, and the kids went hunting after school let out. It wasn't until the country, led by the media, got its collective panties in a knot at the sight of a firearm that the "Village" chased guns into hiding.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Actually, before the Gun Free School thing, it was not unusual to see the pickups in the High School parking lot here with an impressive array of long guns in the rifle racks. No one ever thought of shooting up the school, and the kids went hunting after school let out. It wasn't until the country, led by the media, got its collective panties in a knot at the sight of a firearm that the "Village" chased guns into hiding.

I am proud of my community that posts a sign that says: Attention Please be aware that the staff at ****** ISD may be armed and will use whatever force is necessary to protect our students.

God Bless Texas!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LauraTXNM

That's more like the countryside where I grew up.  I think too few people are familiar with guns now; if everyone served and had some weapons training, it would be more practical and demystify guns.  I actually am going to take my son to shoot skeet; I'd rather he do that instead of playing Call of Duty.

To be fair, if you live somewhere where guns aren't usually seen, it can be freaky/unexpected/worrisome to see one.

My husband doesn't get any of this; he's from Toronto.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

I am proud of my community that posts a sign that says: Attention Please be aware that the staff at ****** ISD may be armed and will use whatever force is necessary to protect our students.

God Bless Texas!

I think that is great, though very sad it's necessary.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Some of those available guns were used to keep Charles Whitman under cover and distracted while authorities made it to the UT clock tower platform.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:18:10 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

I remember when my high school in a rather affluent suburb of Pittsburgh had a rifle team, and no one gave guns - or high schoolers toting guns in cars - a second thought.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

I think there was an armed security officer at the school.

There was.

Broward Co. sheriff says there was an armed officer on campus at time of shooting
Associated Press
10:09 AM, Feb 15, 2018
1:24 PM, Feb 15, 2018
https://www.wptv.com/news/state/broward-county-sheriffs-office-to-hold-1030-am-news-conference

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — The Broward County sheriff says there was an armed officer on campus at the time of a deadly high school shooting.

Sheriff Scott Israel said Thursday the officer never encountered the suspect during the Wednesday afternoon attack that killed 17 people.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LauraTXNM

I remember when my high school in a rather affluent suburb of Pittsburgh had a rifle team, and no one gave guns - or high schoolers toting guns in cars - a second thought.

I know a Boy Scout troops here -- yes, in Los Angeles -- still teach marksmanship.  I wish we could make that kind of team sport shooting a bigger deal. 

Offline LauraTXNM

There was.

Broward Co. sheriff says there was an armed officer on campus at time of shooting
Associated Press
https://www.wptv.com/news/state/broward-county-sheriffs-office-to-hold-1030-am-news-conference

PARKLAND, Fla. (AP) — The Broward County sheriff says there was an armed officer on campus at the time of a deadly high school shooting.

Sheriff Scott Israel said Thursday the officer never encountered the suspect during the Wednesday afternoon attack that killed 17 people.

[...]

So how much armed security is necessary for a 3000- student high school?  There was an "accidental" shooting at a middle school here last month; I was surprised there wasn't a metal detector.

Offline mountaineer

I know a Boy Scout troops here -- yes, in Los Angeles -- still teach marksmanship.  I wish we could make that kind of team sport shooting a bigger deal.
Quite agree. And since I haven't said so already, welcome to TBR!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So how much armed security is necessary for a 3000- student high school?  There was an "accidental" shooting at a middle school here last month; I was surprised there wasn't a metal detector.

Shooter probably knew exactly where he was and planed to avoid him.  One is not enough and some need to be generally unknown.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

Some of those available guns were used to keep Charles Whitman under cover and distracted while authorities made it to the UT clock tower platform.
@edpc

The day that man was on the top of the Texas University in Austin bldg. shooting people, I was in Austin in a hotel room working on my Master's degree thesis while my husband was attending a convention of band directors.  The University had their own TV channel and I watched that unfold minute by minute.  I couldn't believe not far from me, people were being killed by this killer, shooting down into the people.  I saw people hiding behind trees, anything they could get behind making themselves as small as possible. Every time he shot, you could see a puff of smoke rise where he was.  The people who were shot were lying there as no one could get to them without being a target. I will never forget that scene unfolding on the TV screen.

When that was over, the steps up to the tower were closed off so no one could get on top again.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Victoria33

But didn't the autopsy on Charles Whitman find a brain tumor that led the police to believe that is what caused him to shoot people from the tower, and his wife prior to the event?

I'm sorry you saw this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:49:18 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
In the latter part of the sixties we were practicing with .22 caliber shooting into bullet traps in the tennis courts of my junior high and the Boys and Girls club across the street. This wasn't somewhere in rural America it was Buena Park, CA. Also on campus was the California Cadet Corps and they drilled and went all over campus with their plugged 1903 Springfields. No one freaked out, police weren't called and no one talked about using a gun to kill anyone, except those we were at war with.
 Society has gotten to a place where too many people deal with unhappiness, or hurt feelings by deciding to kill someone and when they act out they will do it with whatever they have access to, and it hasn't always been with a gun. But guns are an easy target, especially those big black scary ones. Our population has grown so much and so much more packed together that while I doubt the percentage of mental defectives has really grown we see more because of instant news and that same instant news is very attractive to a defective that wants attention.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@Victoria33

But didn't the autopsy on Charles Whitman find a brain tumor that led the police to believe that is what caused him to shoot people from the tower, and his wife prior to the event?

Post-mortem autopsy of his brain revealed a glioblastoma multiforme tumor the size of a walnut, erupting from beneath the thalamus, impacting the hypothalamus, extending into the temporal lobe and compressing the amygdaloid nucleus (Charles J. Whitman Catastrophe, Medical Aspects. Report to Governor, 9/8/66).

Yes and your hypothalamus deals with mood, appetite, and sleep.  Leading up to the events, Whitman had experienced major headaches, weight gain from overeating, insomnia, and angry outbursts.  A contributing factor.  Sure.  The cause?  Probably not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:01:15 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
@Freya

I may remember he shot his wife and I did not hear he had a brain tumor so I don't know if that is true.  A brain tumor is no reason to kill people - "Oh, I have a brain tumor so I will kill people."  There had to be another reason why he did that.  I do know someone needed to kill him right then.  I think I remember he shot the first cop that made it to the top of the building and the second cop killed him.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Larry Elder was talking about this, Israel has had armed teachers and other precautionary measures for decades.  Precautionary measures probably include at the least, metal detectors.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:01:11 am by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Post-mortem autopsy of his brain revealed a glioblastoma multiforme tumor the size of a walnut, erupting from beneath the thalamus, impacting the hypothalamus, extending into the temporal lobe and compressing the amygdaloid nucleus (Charles J. Whitman Catastrophe, Medical Aspects. Report to Governor, 9/8/66).

Yes and your hypothalamus deals with mood, appetite, and sleep.  Leading up to the events, Whitman had experienced major headaches, weight gain from overeating, insomnia, and angry outbursts.

Thanks for the information- this event was practically before my time.....
@edpc

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
There was.

Associated Press

[...]

An armed staff member may help but if it is a pistol against a semi-automatic weapon, sometimes, it might not work very well and I don't expect to see staff carrying semi-automatic weapons.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Freya

I may remember he shot his wife and I did not hear he had a brain tumor so I don't know if that is true.  A brain tumor is no reason to kill people - "Oh, I have a brain tumor so I will kill people."  There had to be another reason why he did that.  I do know someone needed to kill him right then.  I think I remember he shot the first cop that made it to the top of the building and the second cop killed him.

I just remember seeing a TV movie on this, a few years back on the ID Discovery channel. So sad. I've had a few psych classes yet I can't phanthom why someone would kill another person. Especially planning it. I guess that's why there's a commandment "Thou shall not murder"