Author Topic: Dems flip seat in Florida state special election  (Read 286 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems flip seat in Florida state special election
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:05 am »
Dems flip seat in Florida state special election
By Reid Wilson - 02/13/18 07:43 PM EST

Democrats on Tuesday won yet another special election for a state legislative seat once held by a Republican, this time in a battleground seat south of Tampa, Fla.

With all precincts reporting, attorney Margaret Good (D) took 52 percent of the vote, ousting Sarasota real estate agent James Buchanan (R).

Good won despite Buchanan's well-known name: His father, Rep. Vern Buchanan (R), owned some of the largest car dealerships in the area. He now represents a district in Congress that includes the legislative seat in which his son ran.

President Trump carried the state legislative district by a five-point margin in 2016. It came open when the incumbent Republican quit to spend more time with her family and building her business.

—This breaking news story will be updated.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/373735-dems-flip-seat-in-florida-state-special-election
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Dems flip seat in Florida state special election
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:17 am »
As usual the GOP isn't getting their act together and is blowing their chance to make some definitive changes that would ensure maintaining our majority for a very long time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:23:41 am »
The wife is from Tampa.  We lived there for a bunch of years.  The place is a shithole of liberal scum these days.  I hate driving there to see her rents.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:13 am »
Rick Wilson @TheRickWilson

1/ It was our party before it was Trump's party. Trump's party gets their asses beat like a rented mule in an R + 5 District.
http://enight.elections.myflorida.com/ElectionResults/default?Election=02/13/2018

2/ This is one of the most Trump areas of Florida. They had Corey Lewandowski there doing MAGA rallies. The R was the son of a Congressman and raised a MILLION DOLLARS for a state house race.

3/ This area is so reliably Republican it's absurd. The county chairman was one of Trump's earliest endorsers. This was Katherine Harris country.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:35:24 am »

Spoken like a true ... whatever.

Trump certainly carried this district by far more than even voted. Low vote turnout... dem all out spending win ..does not mean a thing.

But if it get you off, well Councler, ....count me unsurprised. Trail lawyers are no doubt gleeful in this.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:28:36 pm »
@mystery-ak

One of the reasons this is "telling" "interesting" "perhaps predictive", is,
one historical voting pattern:

Republicans will come out to vote if the election is about asst. dog catcher, in other words, any election about anything.  Democrats tend to vote heavier in presidential years and not so much in non-presidential years.  That is why Republicans have the advantage in non-presidential years.

Here we have a non-presidential year and Democrats are out voting Republicans and this is happening in special elections, Dems are winning.  Dems are voting in special elections - that is telling, perhaps predictive.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:01 pm »
Rick Wilson @TheRickWilson

LOL. Citing the professional loser Rick Wilson. Can you direct me to where Rick has won a tough election or any election for that matter?

BTW since when do shit seats in state races have anything to do with the President. This is a local election with dynamics only locals have a clue about.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 02:41:43 pm »

Here we have a non-presidential year and Democrats are out voting Republicans and this is happening in special elections, Dems are winning.  Dems are voting in special elections - that is telling, perhaps predictive.

Predictive that FL is going Rat? Of course it is. Just ask any of the poster who live there.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 02:43:53 pm »
Democrats are more driven to vote. It doesn't take as much money to "get out the vote" in these elections. It would be interesting to see which polls had the highest turnout.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:35 pm »
@mystery-ak

One of the reasons this is "telling" "interesting" "perhaps predictive", is,
one historical voting pattern:

Republicans will come out to vote if the election is about asst. dog catcher, in other words, any election about anything.  Democrats tend to vote heavier in presidential years and not so much in non-presidential years.  That is why Republicans have the advantage in non-presidential years.

Good analysis.

Other than tax cuts the Pub legislature has done nothing to get the base excited. I know the Rats are way down in fund raising compared to the Pubs, but the Rats have all the unions and free media in their favor. I won't be surprised to see the House flip and the Senate only with marginal gains for the Pubs. We will look back and regret that the Pubs blew a once in a generation opportunity to turn the govt around and reassert republican govt.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »
Good analysis.

Other than tax cuts the Pub legislature has done nothing to get the base excited. I know the Rats are way down in fund raising compared to the Pubs, but the Rats have all the unions and free media in their favor. I won't be surprised to see the House flip and the Senate only with marginal gains for the Pubs. We will look back and regret that the Pubs blew a once in a generation opportunity to turn the govt around and reassert republican govt.

You are acting like this is a national election. This was for a FL state rep seat. This has to do more with whatever FL state politics are going on than anything that is going on in DC.

Can anyone tell me what the big issue in this race was? That seems to be mysteriously missing in everyone's Trump bashing here and if anyone has worked one of these local shitseats, they would know that local politics is what runs these things.