Author Topic: Senate immigration debate stalls after Democrats block first GOP amendment  (Read 405 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate immigration debate stalls after Democrats block first GOP amendment
by Susan Ferrechio | Feb 13, 2018, 1:15 PM

What was supposed to be an open-ended debate on immigration reform stalled on Tuesday when Democrats objected to the Republican's first amendment, which would punish so-called sanctuary cities.

Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., blocked a request by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., to start by debating the sanctuary city language. Without Schumer's consent, the debate cannot begin until either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

The amendment mirrors legislation written by Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., that would withhold certain federal funds from jurisdictions that do not cooperate with federal immigration officials when it comes to illegal immigrants.

Schumer argued Tuesday that the Toomey bill has nothing to do with the legislation that the two parties hope to pass, which would provide protection for so-called Dreamers in exchange for border security money, changes to chain migration and an end to the visa lottery system.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senate-immigration-debate-stalls-after-democrats-block-first-gop-amendment/article/2648959
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Senate immigration debate stalls after Democrats block first GOP amendment
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
Without Schumer's consent, the debate cannot begin until either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

So Schmuckie is just stalling.  Not a damn thing he can do except that.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."