Author Topic: Time to Break Up the Big Four (AAPL, GOOGL, FB, AMZN)  (Read 907 times)

Offline endicom

Time to Break Up the Big Four (AAPL, GOOGL, FB, AMZN)
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:16:15 pm »
PJ Media
Michael Walsh
Feb. 11, 2018

Back in July, in this space, I warned about the dangers of the emerging tech monopolies, principally the weaponizing of Amazon via its ownership of the Washington Post.

In the background, but very much part of the conversation, is Amazon's engorgement on the  The Washington Post company, a once-honored (Watergate!) news organization that Amazon boss Jeff Bezos essentially bought for parts -- the main part being the still-influential newspaper in the Imperial City of Washington, D.C. This isn't so much of a financial investment as a form of protection money -- although  Bezos had the chutzpah recently to whine about the deleterious effect of Google and Facebook on print's advertising base, and to make a pitch to the U.S. government for anti-trust protection.

More... https://pjmedia.com/michaelwalsh/time-break-big-four/

Offline endicom

Re: Time to Break Up the Big Four (AAPL, GOOGL, FB, AMZN)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:20:28 pm »
This opinion seems to be growing.

Philosophically, I should be against such government action. But the world does not give a whit for my philosophy so maybe they should be broken up.

I think it interesting that these companies are all NASDAQ listed. NASDAQ used to be the slums a small company sought to rise above.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:36:47 pm »
Or, you know, you could let Amazon, which by the way does not profit from its e-commerce operations, collapse under its own promises. Not granting them any more special privileges and not begging them to come to your town would be a good start.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:39:25 pm »
Or, you know, you could let Amazon, which by the way does not profit from its e-commerce operations, collapse under its own promises. Not granting them any more special privileges and not begging them to come to your town would be a good start.

How have costumers been harmed by Amazon?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:49:10 pm »
How have costumers been harmed by Amazon?

Setting aside political bias, I find that Amazon offers me as a consumer, great values.

--Streaming video content
--Streaming music content
--Products for great prices, plus shipping very fast.

By owning WaPo they do NOT have monopoly power. Regarding the abovementioned products, they do not hold monopolies.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:40 am »
We did that with AT&T and here they are again reforming as a conglomerate, scooping up TV in DirecTv and now news with CNN.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington