Author Topic: Trump Questions Israel's Interest In Making Peace  (Read 352 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Questions Israel's Interest In Making Peace
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »

JERUSALEM (AP) — President Donald Trump questioned Israel's interest in making peace with the Palestinians in an interview published Sunday, spotlighting its West Bank settlements as a complicating factor.

In the interview in the Israel Hayom daily, Trump also cast doubt on the Palestinians' desire to strike a deal. But his comments about Israel mark rare criticism from a president who has publicly sparred with the Palestinians while forging warm ties with Israel ahead of the expected presentation of a U.S. peace outline.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-questions-israels-interest-making-peace-150441371.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump Questions Israel's Interest In Making Peace
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:25:52 pm »
Israel has made peace 3 times after defeating opponents in 1948, '67, and '73.  The losers don't get to dictate terms decades later.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:55:24 pm »
I question Yahoo news everyday and I don't believe this story for a minute.

I haven't read the story as I don't visit that site.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:00:06 pm »
I question Yahoo news everyday and I don't believe this story for a minute.

I haven't read the story as I don't visit that site.

It’s actually an AP story, covering the Israel Hayom interview.  I use Yahoo, because it’s an aggregate site and the searches tend to give me better results than Google.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:31 pm »
'Right now, I would say the Palestinians are not looking to make peace, they are not looking to make peace. And I am not necessarily sure that Israel is looking to make peace. So we are just going to have to see what happens,' Trump was quoted as saying.

So, this is the bullshit throwaway comment they decided to focus on to try and gin up friction between Israel and the USA.

Piss on the press. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 07:51:16 pm »
Here's the interview in Israel Today  ....  The whole interview is worth reading.

Trump to Israel Hayom: The Palestinians are not looking to make peace
Israel Hoyam, Feb 11, 2018

In interview with Israel Hayom Editor-in-Chief Boaz Bismuth, U.S. President Donald Trump says, "I have achieved more than I had promised" in first year of term • "Israel has to be careful with settlements," he says, adding that Israelis and Palestinians would be "foolish" not to make a peace deal.

"I expect to be here a long time," U.S. President Donald Trump said to me when I asked him whether the ayatollah regime would still be in place in Iran when he leaves office. "We will see."

When it comes to the leader of the free world, a remark like this can be taken as a semi-threat. One thing is clear: The U.S. no longer views Iran as a "stabilizing" power, or even remotely as one of the good guys in the region, the way Trump's predecessor, President Barack Obama, often did.

I interviewed Trump before the latest escalation in Israel's north, before Israel clashed with Syrian and Iranian forces at the Syrian border on Saturday. But even then, it was painfully clear that Syria and Iran are testing the U.S., checking how far they can push the Americans (including reports of chemical attacks and hospital bombings in recent days).

When I asked Trump if Israel is free to operate in Syria and in Lebanon against Iranian targets, he adopted an air of uncharacteristic ambiguity. But the message was clear – when it comes to Iran, it is best to let actions do the talking. The U.S. is keeping its cards close to the chest.

<snip>

Q: Will Israel have to give something in return for the decision on Jerusalem?

"I think both sides will have to make hard compromises to reach a peace agreement."

Q: Obviously there is suspense in Israel about the imminent peace plan. When will the U.S. unveil its peace plan?

"We are going to see what goes on. Right now, I would say the Palestinians are not looking to make peace, they are not looking to make peace. And I am not necessarily sure that Israel is looking to make peace. So we are just going to have to see what happens."

Q: Will settlements be part of the plan?

"We will be talking about settlements. The settlements are something that very much complicates and always have complicated making peace, so I think Israel has to be very careful with the settlements."

Read more:  http://www.israelhayom.com/2018/02/11/trump-to-israel-hayom-palestinians-are-not-looking-to-make-peace/