Author Topic: Will a cold winter kill off ticks?  (Read 307 times)

rangerrebew

Will a cold winter kill off ticks?
« on: February 11, 2018, 02:37:05 pm »
Will a cold winter kill off ticks?
February 9, 2018 by Matt Shipman, North Carolina State University

The bad news is that even particularly harsh winter weather – like that experienced by much of the East Coast this year – won't kill off ticks. They are hardy little critters. However, a brutal winter could still have an effect on tick populations. Maybe.

Let's start with how ticks deal with the seasons.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-02-cold-winter.html#jCp

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Will a cold winter kill off ticks?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 03:04:44 pm »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:13:15 pm »
Here in central PA, we had a bout of really super cold weather earlier in December, temps in the daytime not getting above the teens and low temps at night well below zero. It was so bad that my kitchen drain froze for several days.

I would have thought it might have killed off the damned stink bugs, but no, in just in the last two weeks, I've killed about 6 of them in the house. 

Fortunately I've not seen any millipedes. OMG! I've had a really problem with them, finding 4 or 5 a day in the kitchen or bathroom or the curled up dead carcasses everywhere else until it got cold including a couple in my bed.

8888crybaby
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 03:38:35 pm »
I've seen many very frigid winters in northern Illinoisy and the ticks survived them all.