Author Topic: Cruz braces Texas GOP for volatile election season amid Democratic enthusiasm  (Read 1093 times)

Offline libertybele

IMHO our Country and the GOP in general is in trouble.  IF Texas goes, so does the country.   I hope people heed Cruz's words of warning ... you know darn well his own party isn't going to help him!

Cruz braces Texas GOP for volatile election season amid Democratic enthusiasm

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz is preparing Texas Republicans for a turbulent election year amid super-charged Democratic enthusiasm — including in his own re-election campaign......

..........Cruz warned of an "incredible volatility in politics right now," calling Democrats "stark-raving nuts" in their opposition to Trump. He pointed to Trump's recent State of the Union address and Democrats' reluctance to applaud, saying the scene "underscores the political risk in November."

"Let me tell you right now: The left is going to show up," Cruz said, delivering the keynote address at the party's Lincoln Reagan Dinner. "They will crawl over broken glass in November to vote."......

Cruz is feeling the heat in his own bid for a second term. O'Rourke, who has sworn off money from political action committees, outraised Cruz in the last three months of 2017, $2.4 million to $1.9 million. It was the second quarter in which O'Rourke's haul was bigger than that of Cruz, who still maintains a healthy cash-on-hand advantage.

Speaking with reporters here Saturday afternoon, Cruz said he was "absolutely" prepared for his re-election campaign but also acknowledged O'Rourke's fundraising prowess.....

"It’s true my Democratic opponent is raising a lot of money," Cruz said. "We’re not going to take it for granted. That’s a manifestation of the energy on the extreme left.".....

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/10/cruz-braces-texas-gop-volatile-election-season-amid-democratic-enthusi/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

... Cruz said, delivering the keynote address at the party's Lincoln Reagan Dinner

Enough with the keynotes Ted.  Time for some retail politics instead.  Get out there and start pressing the flesh.

We need to keep this seat.

Offline corbe

Cruz will not lose this unless he's caught with a live boy or a dead girl and Trump's friend publishes the photos in the National Enquirer, still the glass is always half full.  If he loses he has no Ties to the GOP and more time to try and build a 3rd party challenge to the Uniparty in 2020.   
    A Man can dream can't he?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline anubias

Cruz will not lose this unless he's caught with a live boy or a dead girl and Trump's friend publishes the photos in the National Enquirer, still the glass is always half full.  If he loses he has no Ties to the GOP and more time to try and build a 3rd party challenge to the Uniparty in 2020.   

Yes, a man could.

But Cruz isn’t losing.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's clear that Cruz voted for that budget as a prudential decision per getting reelected.  One may not agree with the reasoning but he does need to be concerned, Beto's not doing too bad. Shut down the government; and you can bet it'd be a hot potato issue.

Offline endicom

Wouldn't the live boy give him Austin?

Offline Fantom

And a Pizza franchise.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

And, parts of Houston.   But, not enough to win.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Enough with the keynotes Ted.  Time for some retail politics instead.  Get out there and start pressing the flesh.

We need to keep this seat.

Don't worry about it.  Ted's seat is safe and he already knows exactly how to campaign, thanks.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

Don't worry about it.  Ted's seat is safe and he already knows exactly how to campaign, thanks.

I'm not so sure about the bolded part @Emjay, he got beat by Trump, not exactly a resume enhancer.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I'm not so sure about the bolded part @Emjay, he got beat by Trump, not exactly a resume enhancer.
Not in Texas, he didn't.  And that's where he is running for re-election.

And BTW, EVERYONE got beat by Trump, so what exactly is your point?  The whole world is dumb?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:17:13 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline corbe

Not in Texas, he didn't.  And that's where he is running for re-election.

And BTW, EVERYONE got beat by Trump, so what exactly is your point?  The whole world is dumb?

Very valid points @IsailedawayfromFR My Point is/was that IMHO Ted was the Best Guy up there and actually had as much if not more Campaign experience (Yes, in Texas) than DJT and still got beat in spite of the fact that the President kept shooting himself in the Foot!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   Very valid points @IsailedawayfromFR My Point is/was that IMHO Ted was the Best Guy up there and actually had as much if not more Campaign experience (Yes, in Texas) than DJT and still got beat in spite of the fact that the President kept shooting himself in the Foot!

The fact that Trump was a strange but overwhelming Phenomenon the likes of which we will never fully understand, combined with the fact that Trump was leading and expected to win (which he actually did, by the way) does not mean Ted got beat.

At least I wouldn't single out Ted.  He just got swept up in the Tsunami like everyone else.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Good to hear @Emjay .... it's just that Ted's worry about it surprised me a bit.

Offline TomSea

https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/set/donald-trump-approval-june-2017

Trump's approval ratings have been higher in Texas than Cruz's, UT's poll showed that, not sure if the above link shows it but I read that.

Texas became a minority state in 2005, the Hispanics may already have enough to flip it though the real forecast is for 2024.

Whomever gets the vote out, could win. Note, Cruz was not going to take a controversial stance on the budget.

Offline TomSea

O'Rourke and all of those dems need to compromise on abortion, they won't win any conservative areas, generally, as long as they are such choicers. They did win in Alabama but that was a big exception. Roy troubled too many people.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The Texas abortion Barbie Party doesn't stand a chance in flipping Teddy's seat.  This all just Austin and Harris county BS and wishful thinking.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline anubias

The Texas abortion Barbie Party doesn't stand a chance in flipping Teddy's seat.  This all just Austin and Harris county BS and wishful thinking.

It will be a cold day in hell before “Beto” beats Cruz.

Offline WingNot

It will be a cold day in hell before “Beto” beats Cruz.

He isn't even a (slur removed - cool it @Wingnut ).  But he stayed in a San Antonio H. I. once.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:37:26 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline jpsb

This will be a turn out election, if the Dems turn out in force and the GOP doesn't Ted will have a
serious problem. Lot's of Cali/Yankee voters and illegal voters here in Texas now. So Ted does have
his work cut out for him.  The valley, Austin, Dallas and Houston will go to the Rats, that is a lot of
votes.

I think Teds wins it but it is not a sure thing not with all the "new" voters Texas now has.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:09:24 pm by jpsb »

Offline anubias

He isn't even a spic.  But he stayed in a San Antonio H. I. once.

He’s a mick, isn’t he?  He thinks using “Beto” will get Hispanics to vote for him.  What Mexican is going to vote for “Beto” with an Mc last name?  The guy is a moron.

Offline WingNot

He’s a mick, isn’t he?  He thinks using “Beto” will get Hispanics to vote for him.  What Mexican is going to vote for “Beto” with an Mc last name?  The guy is a moron.

I do believe he is a Lucky Charms boy.

Offline goodwithagun

He isn't even a spic.  But he stayed in a San Antonio H. I. once.

Hell, at first I thought he was the Zumba guy :shrug:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

Hell, at first I thought he was the Zumba guy :shrug:

Here he is doing the workout.
! No longer available