Author Topic: U.S. judge rules it would be ‘tyranny’ to force Christian to bake cake for lesbian ‘marriage’  (Read 599 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: LIFE SITE NEWS

URL: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/the-stuff-of-tyranny-christian-baker-scores-major-victory

by Fr. Mark Hodges

BAKERSFIELD, California – It would be a violation of free speech for a Christian baker to be forced to make a same-sex "wedding" cake, a California judge ruled on Monday.

Cathy Miller owns Tastries Bakery, where 40 percent of her business is wedding cakes, many of which she personally designs. Last August two lesbians asked her to design a special cake to celebrate their “marriage,” and Miller politely redirected them to an accommodating competitor.

Nevertheless, as is the well-established LGBT pattern, the lesbians sued Miller anyway. They filed a complaint with the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing, accusing Miller of violating California’s Unruh Civil Rights Act, which criminalizes denying service based on sexual orientation. Oral arguments were heard Friday.

Judge Lampe said that to force a Christian to create a cake that celebrates something against their religion is "violence."

“The State is not petitioning the court to order defendants to sell a cake. The State asks this court to compel Miller to use her talents to design and create a cake she has not yet conceived with the knowledge that her work will be displayed in celebration of a marital union her religion forbids,” Judge Lampe’s ruling reads. “For this court to force such compliance would do violence to the essentials of Free Speech.”

The judge issued his ruling Monday, stating it would only be discrimination if Miller refused to sell an existing product to the lesbians. He discerned that forcing a business owner to violate his/her beliefs is “the stuff of tyranny.”

“Cathy will gladly serve anyone, including same-sex couples,” Charles LiMandri of the Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund explained to the court. “But Cathy will not use her artistic talents to express messages that conflict with her sincerely held religious beliefs about marriage.”

(Excerpt) Read more at ABOVE LINK ...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This issue finally found a Judge who does not have the Liberal agenda blinders on. From the beginning, this case was always an open-and-shut issue. You cannot, through force of State, force anyone to create a work of art.

You could try to capture an artist and beat him until he paints your portrait, but it will never work. Art comes from the soul and heart of a person. It cannot ever be forced, no matter how much the artist is starved and beaten.

And who would want to eat a cake made by a person who has already declared that he does not want to make it? I wouldn't eat it. It would have a bad aftertaste.

But, we all know this was never about a cake. It is and always was about the gay mafia persecuting Christians just for the hell of it. Finally, a Judge with common sense put an end to this nonsense.

The day I see a gay couple suing an anti-homosexual Muslim bakery (which will never happen), I may believe that the homosexuals are at least a tiny bit serious. Until then, this will come across as what it is, anti-Christian bigotry.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Exactly right!  I was too lazy to right that this morning.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
it would be ‘tyranny’ to force Christian to bake cake for lesbian ‘marriage’

Yes.  Yes it is.

And yet we have our resident Leftist insisting that tyranny is coming from Christians who refuse to submit and serve a homosexual celebration of perversion with their art, craft and business services.

But, we all know this was never about a cake. It is and always was about the gay mafia persecuting Christians just for the hell of it. Finally, a Judge with common sense put an end to this nonsense.

The day I see a gay couple suing an anti-homosexual Muslim bakery (which will never happen), I may believe that the homosexuals are at least a tiny bit serious. Until then, this will come across as what it is, anti-Christian bigotry.

Yes, and AMEN!

It was never about 'equality' - it was about punishing Christians for their belief that their behavior is sinful and reprehensible.

Because Liberal Left is allied with Islam in opposition to a common enemy - the Gay Mafia will not attempt to demand a Muslim bakery make them cakes to celebrate their behavior.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Hoodat

There are a lot of people in this country (and even one on this board) who wholeheartedly support tyranny.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
There are a lot of people in this country (and even one on this board) who wholeheartedly support tyranny.

Unfortunately, that is very true!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Yes, but only if it's the right kind of tyranny - whatever that means.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline SirLinksALot

This issue finally found a Judge who does not have the Liberal agenda blinders on. From the beginning, this case was always an open-and-shut issue. You cannot, through force of State, force anyone to create a work of art.

I am interested in knowing WHO appointed this judge. It would never have been Governor Moonbeam or Grey Davis. I'm not even sure if Arnold appointed the judge.

Offline SirLinksALot

I am interested in knowing WHO appointed this judge. It would never have been Governor Moonbeam or Grey Davis. I'm not even sure if Arnold appointed the judge.

I stand corrected. This judge was never appointed.

It says here:

https://ballotpedia.org/David_R._Lampe

California held general elections for local judicial offices on November 8, 2016. There was a primary on June 7, 2016. The filing deadline for candidates who wished to run in this election was March 31, 2016. A total of 351 seats were up for election. Incumbent David R. Lampe ran unopposed in the election for Office 19 of the Kern County Superior Court.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Guess he shot his wad weighing in on this case in a previous thread the other day.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm more than sure that even if the homosexuals forced a Christian baker to make them a cake, they would never eat it. They would defile it, make fun of it, and eventually throw it out.

If I owned a Christian bakery, and some Judge through 'force of State' forced me to make a cake for a homosexual wedding, I would agree to make it with one caveat.

I would petition the Judge, 'If you are going to force me to make the cake by force of Law, then you also have to force them to eat the cake, by force of Law. That is to say that if I make it, they have to eat it. And I want to be there, to be able to witness them eating it. Eat up boys. Enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:12:52 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'm more than sure that even if the homosexuals forced a Christian baker to make them a cake, they would never eat it. They would defile it, make fun of it, and eventually throw it out.

If I owned a Christian bakery, and some Judge through 'force of State' forced me to make a cake for a homosexual wedding, I would agree to make it with one caveat.

I would petition the Judge, 'If you are going to force me to make the cake by force of Law, then you also have to force them to eat the cake, by force of Law. That is to say that if I make it, they have to eat it. And I want to be there, to be able to witness them eating it. Eat up boys. Enjoy it.

No force of the state can impel or make me defy the law of God to do that which is accommodating abomination. 

Even if their agents want to put a gun to my head and force me to do what they demand.

Hopefully if the homo tyrants ever actually get away with doing that under the color of law - the Statists they get to do their bidding will quickly run out of agents to enforce that mandate.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
No force of the state can impel or make me defy the law of God to do that which is accommodating abomination. 

Even if their agents want to put a gun to my head and force me to do what they demand.

Hopefully if the homo tyrants ever actually get away with doing that under the color of law - the Statists they get to do their bidding will quickly run out of agents to enforce that mandate.

Well, if you make the cake out of blessed communion bread, and blessed holy water, and blessed communion wine, who knows? Watch them eat it while reciting the Lord's prayer, and maybe you will save some of them.

Hey. You guys wanted a 'Christian' cake. Well, here it is. Now eat it!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:08:11 pm by 240B »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Well, if you make the cake out of blessed communion bread, and blessed holy water, and blessed communion wine, who knows? Watch them eat it while the Lord's prayer, and maybe you will save some of them.

Hey. You guys wanted a 'Christian' cake. Well, here it is. Now eat it!
Bad idea, really. Nothing would give some people greater pleasure than to obtain the consecrated host to defile.  But having something like an appropriate Bible verse printed on the platter underneath might be good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Is this the judge's final ruling on this, or is this the same story we were talking about the other day that was just the judge declining an injunction?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Is this the judge's final ruling on this, or is this the same story we were talking about the other day that was just the judge declining an injunction?

Same one.  June is the trail date.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Same one.  June is the trail date.

Yeah, I just looked at the huffingandPuffington Website, and they said it was June.  Too bad for lifesitenews that their reporting is so sloppy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Schwarzenegger, in his one act of sanity.

Later that same judge ran for the position and got elected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:07:39 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington