Author Topic: Cow, Soy or Almond: Which 'Milk' Is Best for You?  (Read 1349 times)

rangerrebew

Cow, Soy or Almond: Which 'Milk' Is Best for You?
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:07 am »

Cow, Soy or Almond: Which 'Milk' Is Best for You?

By Alan Mozes

HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Feb. 1, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Almond milk, soy milk, rice milk and coconut milk may all offer lactose-free alternatives to cow's milk, but new research suggests that the dairy version remains the most nutritious option.

The finding stems from a Canadian analysis that assessed the nutritional value of a single serving of the four most popular plant-based milks relative to cow's milk.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20180201/cow-soy-or-almond-which-milk-is-best-for-you#1

Offline Applewood

Re: Cow, Soy or Almond: Which 'Milk' Is Best for You?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
Well, I can't tolerate most dairy, so real milk is out for me. 

Nothing wrong with the other milks. If they are deficient in certain nutrients, you could always use other food sources of those nutrients.  Or take supplements.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:28:51 pm »
Well, I can't tolerate most dairy, so real milk is out for me. 

Nothing wrong with the other milks. If they are deficient in certain nutrients, you could always use other food sources of those nutrients.  Or take supplements.

I am not lactose intolerant but I don't particularly care for drinking milk. never did even as a kid. I don't even use it on cereal, I mix my granola with yogurt and some fresh fruit instead. Now cheese on the other hand..... ^-^
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
Mooo Juice for me.   Whole milk.  None of that No fat, Low fat, 1%, 2%  crap.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:02 pm »
I actually like Almond milk on my cereal, though I usually use 0% Skim milk, and I even will drink it now and again.

It kinda looks like bluish white water, but you can get used to it.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »
I actually like Almond milk on my cereal, though I usually use 0% Skim milk, and I even will drink it now and again.

When I cook or bake, if milk is called for I use either whole or 2%.

For a while I was making breakfast smoothies with almond milk and really liked them. One that was my particular favorite was almond milk, some unsweetened dark coco powder, a banana and some fresh strawberries, a small spoon of peanut butter and ice, blended in a blender.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:18:39 pm »
The most nutritious and the most digestible milk for humans is, naturally, mother's milk. Why so many people are disgusted by this idea is a genuine mystery. It is OK to ingest the lactic secretions of a bovine, or camel, or goat, but the idea of eating from the breast of a woman is abhorrent to most adults? Why is that?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:23:09 pm »
Waiting for Frank to chime in here.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:26:23 pm »
The most nutritious and the most digestible milk for humans is, naturally, mother's milk. Why so many people are disgusted by this idea is a genuine mystery. It is OK to ingest the lactic secretions of a bovine, or camel, or goat, but the idea of eating from the breast of a woman is abhorrent to most adults? Why is that?

Just for clarification, are you talking about mothers breast feeding their infant babies or adults breastfeeding from the breast of a woman? The latter is natural and good, the former, well that's more than a bit weird.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:30:59 pm »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:34:41 pm »
Just for clarification, are you talking about mothers breast feeding their infant babies or adults breastfeeding from the breast of a woman? The latter is natural and good, the former, well that's more than a bit weird.

Thank you for making my point. LOL!

It is only weird because we think it is weird. By drinking cow's milk you are in essence sucking the teat of a cow. How is that more 'natural' than sucking the teat of a woman?

In many/most non-Western countries, a lot of countries, women breastfeed anyone, from infant to old age, when they are ill to help them heal. It is the victorian hang-ups in Western culture that prevent us from doing the same.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:36:05 pm »
Okay.  That was weird....  I'm walking away from this thread now.......

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:49:11 pm »
Okay.  That was weird.

Said the guy with two pencils in his nose...

Online DB

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 10:55:10 pm »

It is only weird because we think it is weird. By drinking cow's milk you are in essence sucking the teat of a cow. How is that more 'natural' than sucking the teat of a woman?

In many/most non-Western countries, a lot of countries, women breastfeed anyone, from infant to old age, when they are ill to help them heal. It is the victorian hang-ups in Western culture that prevent us from doing the same.

So what would a human milk dairy look like?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:39 pm »
Waiting for Frank to chime in here.

That may explain why the coffee cream two sugars my secretary gets me every morning tastes different than Dunkin's. I'll have to inquire tomorrow after she is done picking up the pens I throw on the floor the night before.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:39 pm »

:nometalk:

Remind me to never accept an invitation from you for tea.

! No longer available

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 11:03:33 pm »

For a while I was making breakfast smoothies with almond milk and really liked them. One that was my particular favorite was almond milk, some unsweetened dark coco powder, a banana and some fresh strawberries, a small spoon of peanut butter and ice, blended in a blender.

Wow.  That sounds absolutely delicious!  I'm going to try it! 

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 12:08:04 am »
Look. I am only stating reality and facts. By drinking cows milk you are suckling at the teat of a cow, by proxy. Whenever you eat Goat Cheese, which is very good btw, you are suckling at the teat of a goat, by proxy.

So which would you rather have? Would you rather curl up with the wife, or with a goat? Either way you are doing the same thing. If you can choose to suckle on a lactating cow or a lactating beautiful woman, well, the choice is obvious.

I don't do beastiality.

Now come on guys, this is only an intellectual exercise. I did try to suckle on my ex-wife at her request, but it didn't work. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know how to do it right, so...it didn't work. I'm not advocating this stuff as a lifestyle. I'm only pointing out contradictions in current modern day society.

Offline anubias

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:29:37 am »

I use almond milk with yogurt and a ton of berries, banana, nuts, and green leafy veggies to make my morning “green” smoothie.  Tastes delicious and the carbs are absorbed quickly enough to get me through my bike ride.  With everything else that calls for milk, I use whole cow’s milk or heavy whipping cream if trying to amp the calories.

Offline anubias

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 12:30:56 am »

:thumbsup:

I freeze enough fresh peaches in the summer to last me through the year.  I use them instead of ice for taste and also the calories.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:38:48 am by anubias »

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:53 am »

Offline musiclady

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 01:38:17 am »
Wingnut wrote:
"Mooo Juice for me.   Whole milk.  None of that No fat, Low fat, 1%, 2%  crap."

Right on.
Same here!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 01:59:02 am »
I am not lactose intolerant but I don't particularly care for drinking milk. never did even as a kid. I don't even use it on cereal, I mix my granola with yogurt and some fresh fruit instead. Now cheese on the other hand..... ^-^

I don't drink a lot of milk either.... Hot chocolate now and then, and chocolate or strawberry shakes...

But since I started down this path I am on, cooking for myself, I am astounded just how much I use... I live alone and cook from scratch most of the time...I can easy go through a gallon in a week or 10 days.

Now, to be fair, I would say the lion's share of that is to be found in the manufacture of sausage gravy and the like... And mashed potatoes and yams.. But seriously, it is enough to make me change my long term storage to include powdered milk (and powdered butter).

As for anyone dealing with lactose intolerance - Try raw milk from an ancient breed. That worked in many of my friends and their families. Zero problem with milk of that kind.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:59:46 am by roamer_1 »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:30 am »
I don't drink a lot of milk either.... Hot chocolate now and then, and chocolate or strawberry shakes...

But since I started down this path I am on, cooling for myself, I am astounded just how much I use... I live alone and cook from scratch most of the time...I can easy go through a gallon in a week or 10 days.

Now, to be fair, I would say the lion's share of that is to be found in the manufacture of sausage gravy and the like... And mashed potatoes and yams.. But seriously, it is enough to make me change my long term storage to include powdered milk (and powdered butter).

As for anyone dealing with lactose intolerance - Try raw milk from an ancient breed. That worked in many of my friends and their families. Zero problem with milk of that kind.

If you have allergies cows milk can make them worse.  It increases the mucus your body makes.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.