Author Topic: Senators reach bipartisan accord on long-term spending deal  (Read 619 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senators reach bipartisan accord on long-term spending deal
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:08:00 pm »
Senators reach bipartisan accord on long-term spending deal
by Susan Ferrechio | Feb 7, 2018, 12:48 PM

Republicans and Democrats have reached an agreement to fund the government for the remainder of the fiscal year and set spending caps for the next two years, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., announced on the Senate floor Wednesday.

The bipartisan deal lifts mandatory federal spending caps imposed under the 2011 Budget Control Act. The deal would provide the Defense Department with an additional $80 billion over the cap while the nation's domestic budget would receive a boost of about $60 billion.

Democrats had been demanding "parity" as part of the deal, meaning that domestic spending gets the same increase the defense spending gets as part of any deal. Still, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., signaled his support for the deal.

"This deal doesn’t have everything Democrats want it, it doesn’t have everything Republicans want it, but it has a great deal of what the American people want," Schumer said on the floor. "This deal is a genuine breakthrough. This is a first real sprout of genuine bipartisanship."

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/senators-reach-bipartisan-accord-on-long-term-spending-deal/article/2648385
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Senators reach bipartisan accord on long-term spending deal
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:46 pm »
And more deficits for all. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »
My guess is that Pelosi and Schumer have consulted on this.  House Dems will protest, knowing it’ll go through.  They’ll use it in areas they think they can challenge seats to paint Republicans as reckless deficit spenders and try to retake the House.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:30:59 pm »
This is still not a budget.  It simply continues to authorize what was authorized before, with limited exceptions.

Our Congress, led by Ryan and McConnell are worthless.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:40:04 pm »
Our Congress, led by Ryan and McConnell are worthless.

Professional can kickers.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:57:55 pm »

Pity, I was so looking forward to the dems beating themselves 'Bout the head and shoulders with illegals over Americans and shutdown.

Oh well.

Truthfully folks with only 51 Senators, at least 4 of which are regressives or hateful traitors. Little more can be accomplished. Give a solid 55-58 R Senate.....maybe then the filibuster can be dumped.

With President Trump, I certainly feel it might just be so.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:42:35 am »

Pity, I was so looking forward to the dems beating themselves 'Bout the head and shoulders with illegals over Americans and shutdown.

Oh well.

Truthfully folks with only 51 Senators, at least 4 of which are regressives or hateful traitors. Little more can be accomplished. Give a solid 55-58 R Senate.....maybe then the filibuster can be dumped.

Well, my two cents.  Unless there is some accountability and responsibility rendered upon the corrupt individuals within the DOJ and the FBI (and IMHO the CIA), it really doesn't matter who holds the majority -- the leftist remain in control. I find no one being held accountable alarming to say the least. Also, consider that we have judges ruling against this President and others refusing to comply with policies that he is trying to put forth, so the GOP holding the majority doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. 

With that being said, I see two huge red flags that remain very unsettling about Trump. Why has he allowed Bammy holdovers to remain in play (Rosenstein as a good example) and why would he offer a pathway to citizenship, thus granting the DEMS millions of additional voters?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:00 am »
I will sleep peaceful tonight in the knowledge of the passage of this momentum bilateral  bicameral bicya  achievement.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:20:32 am »
   Sad really, McConnell has given Ryan enough Dems to override the HFC. 
   Can't really blame Trump for this since we knew he rarely ever talked of the Debt/Deficit during his Campaign, it probably would have triggered his 'King of Debt' nickname. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:04 am »
Well, my two cents.  Unless there is some accountability and responsibility rendered upon the corrupt individuals within the DOJ and the FBI (and IMHO the CIA), it really doesn't matter who holds the majority -- the leftist remain in control. I find no one being held accountable alarming to say the least. Also, consider that we have judges ruling against this President and others refusing to comply with policies that he is trying to put forth, so the GOP holding the majority doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. 

With that being said, I see two huge red flags that remain very unsettling about Trump. Why has he allowed Bammy holdovers to remain in play (Rosenstein as a good example) and why would he offer a pathway to citizenship, thus granting the DEMS millions of additional voters?

Last first as is my wont.

Putting on the table irresistible bait, for the so called illegal aliens known as "Dreamers", is one shrewd move. Yes we are a bit piqued 'Bout it but consider. Now the dems have to deliver.. it has been offered , the scent is in the air for all the illegals covered. This is known in poker as "Calling the Bluff". And raise...Wall, end chain immigration and other required chips to stay at the table. Looks like it worked... the dems will soon no longer have the governmnet shut down chip to play...they folded.

Now it puts DACA ...Wall.... all that on the table alone. Deal shifts to the right... new hand Dealer(Trump) calls the game. "Lady Death" I think. It is a version of "Mexican Sweat"...http://poker.excite.co.uk/mexican-sweat-poker.html ........ how apropos  do you not think? In Lady Death, or as I learned it..Senorita Del Muerto. When the Queen of Spades is turned upright in any hand.  All cards are collected, deal shifts to the right... same game, pot stays and however wishes to engage in the next round anties up.

It is one hell of a pot builder. 2018 anyone?

As for the holdovers... this is one area I think Cruz would have been better prepared for. But we do have to understand the ground we are deployed on. Government is decisively populated by the left...part of the "March thru the Institutions" of the marxist. It is easy for an incoming marxist like obama to decimate what few humans/Conservatives have gained a small foothold... for Trump/Cruz or any acting on Conservative principles to do so in reverse is almost impossible.

The terrain is what it is.

As for obama/marxist judges. Do not give up hope..... that is what the marxist count on. Vote.. the only option in opposition too them.

Do you realize, it was only in '92 that R's gained the House... not since that crippled scumbag FDR did that happen. Likewise as long, never have R's held the Senate with a filibuster proof majority... much less a supper-majority. Now is not the time to go wobbly, till now it has all been defensive delaying the marxist tide. I am reminded about something... something 'Bout the "Sunshine Patriot".

Oh yeah.

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

― Thomas Paine, The Crisis

Time for me to retire, day three flu. Tamiflu is good , but one is still sick.
On the 'marrow friend.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 02:05:15 am »
   Very Enlightening and being a poker player I understand your analogies, Thanks for that POST @Fantom
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 02:59:01 am »
And more deficits for all.
Tremendously huge deficits.  The best deficits.  The best.  We're going to deficit so much, you're going to be so sick and tired of deficits.  Believe me.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:26 am »
   Sad really, McConnell has given Ryan enough Dems to override the HFC. 
   Can't really blame Trump for this since we knew he rarely ever talked of the Debt/Deficit during his Campaign, it probably would have triggered his 'King of Debt' nickname.

I blame President Trump.  President Trump is the beneficiary of a rising stock market he doesn't control, yet blameless for the legislation he will sign?  President Trump calls for bi-partisanship in his SOTU.  Here is bi-partisanship.   

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-king-of-debt-224642

“I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me,” Trump told Norah O’Donnell in an interview that aired on “CBS This Morning.” “I’ve made a fortune by using debt, and if things don’t work out I renegotiate the debt. I mean, that’s a smart thing, not a stupid thing.”

It's not only bi-partisanship, it's another promise kept by President Trump.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 03:18:52 am »

Oh well.

I agree.  We need to concentrate on getting a bigger majority in both houses, especially the Senate.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 03:19:49 am »
I blame President Trump.  President Trump is the beneficiary of a rising stock market he doesn't control, yet blameless for the legislation he will sign?  President Trump calls for bi-partisanship in his SOTU.  Here is bi-partisanship.   

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-king-of-debt-224642

“I’m the king of debt. I’m great with debt. Nobody knows debt better than me,” Trump told Norah O’Donnell in an interview that aired on “CBS This Morning.” “I’ve made a fortune by using debt, and if things don’t work out I renegotiate the debt. I mean, that’s a smart thing, not a stupid thing.”

It's not only bi-partisanship, it's another promise kept by President Trump.

Of course you blame Trump.  You wouldn't want to throw us all into shock.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 04:08:50 am »
Of course you blame Trump.  You wouldn't want to throw us all into shock.

I'd like to believe you are just as concerned about the massive and unsustainable debt we are passing on to our children and grandchildren.  It would not surprise me at all that we share this value.  If you want to condemn the rats and republicans, I agree, but history is not going to take about the McConnell/Schumer deficits.  They are going to talk about the Trump deficits much like they talk about the Reagan deficits.  This will be President Trumps legacy.

and he doesn't seem concerned about it at all.

I wonder if republicans would have fought harder for spending restraint under President Hillary.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 12:17:11 pm »
I'd like to believe you are just as concerned about the massive and unsustainable debt we are passing on to our children and grandchildren.  It would not surprise me at all that we share this value.  If you want to condemn the rats and republicans, I agree, but history is not going to take about the McConnell/Schumer deficits.  They are going to talk about the Trump deficits much like they talk about the Reagan deficits.  This will be President Trumps legacy.

and he doesn't seem concerned about it at all.

I wonder if republicans would have fought harder for spending restraint under President Hillary. 

Fighting is not the same as winning.  To win in the Senate we need more than 51 minus 4.  The midterms are critical.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:03 pm »
Fighting is not the same as winning.  To win in the Senate we need more than 51 minus 4.  The midterms are critical.

Exactly.

And the Dems always want "parity.'  Kind of sound like "party," huh?

*****rollingeyes*****
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra