Author Topic: World's Largest Mercury Reserve Found Underneath Arctic Permafrost, And Climate Change Will Release  (Read 446 times)

rangerrebew

World's Largest Mercury Reserve Found Underneath Arctic Permafrost, And Climate Change Will Release It All
7 February 2018, 6:22 am EST By Aaron Mamiit Tech Times

Researchers found the world's largest reserve of natural mercury hidden underneath Arctic permafrost. The discovery, however, comes with the warning that the toxic element may be released if the permafrost thaws due to climate change.   

The world's largest reserve of natural mercury was found hidden underneath Arctic permafrost, but the discovery comes with the realization that climate change could release the toxic element.

Research from about a year ago warned that increasing temperatures and rainfall due to climate change may lead to heavy land runoff. This would lead to increased levels of mercury in the ocean and its creatures, as high as seven times the current rate. The new study shows another way on how climate change will expose humanity to mercury poisoning.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/220514/20180207/worlds-largest-mercury-reserve-found-underneath-arctic-permafrost-and-climate-change-will-release-it-all.htm

Offline Joe Wooten

888ohnoes

What happened to this mercury during the warmup after the ice age when it was warmer on the planet 5000 years ago than it is now? Infact, what happened to it during the Roman warm period at the height of the Roman Empire?

crickets......

Offline Suppressed

888ohnoes

What happened to this mercury during the warmup after the ice age when it was warmer on the planet 5000 years ago than it is now? Infact, what happened to it during the Roman warm period at the height of the Roman Empire?

crickets......

Are you claiming there was permafrost collapse during those times?
I was unaware of that...can you provide more info?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

Are you claiming there was permafrost collapse during those times?
I was unaware of that...can you provide more info?

Are you claiming that periods of much warmer temperatures for extended periods of time did not impact the permafrost?

Life is fragile, handle with prayer