Author Topic: Jail the Guilty, Repeal FISA  (Read 395 times)

Offline endicom

Jail the Guilty, Repeal FISA
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:39:41 am »
American Greatness
Angelo Codevilla
Feb. 6, 2018

The House Intelligence Committee’s summary memo of highly classified FBI and Justice Department documents confirms what has been public knowledge for over a year: Some of America’s highest officials used U.S. intelligence’s most intrusive espionage tools to attempt to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, and then to cripple Donald Trump politically. Being of one mind with the rest of the Obama Administration and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, these officials acted symbiotically and seamlessly with them, regardless of any cooperation that may have existed.

The party-in-power’s use of government espionage to thwart the opposition violates the Fourth Amendment and sets a ruinous precedent. Having done so under color of law—specifically, the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA)—makes it a lot worse.

More... https://amgreatness.com/2018/02/06/jail-guilty-repeal-fisa/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Jail the Guilty, Repeal FISA
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:46 am »
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. Codevilla on this.  We need FISA but it needs to be MUCH more closely supervised by congress.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:48:07 am »
Isn't FISA supposed to be about monitoring terrorist? How does spying on your political opponents rise to the level of terrorism?

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:51:27 am »
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. Codevilla on this.  We need FISA but it needs to be MUCH more closely supervised by congress.

You may be right but then responsibility becomes split three ways instead of two.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 01:53:23 am »
You may be right but then responsibility becomes split three ways instead of two.

That is true. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:51 am »
Isn't FISA supposed to be about monitoring terrorist? How does spying on your political opponents rise to the level of terrorism?

In 1978? I don't think so. Terrorism has become an external threat but wasn't much of a threat at that time.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act was supposed to keep the intel agencies from abusing their surveillance abilities. I see Codevilla as saying that FISA has become a blame-shifting mechanism for the intel agencies.