Author Topic: 2 killed, more than 140 injured after 6.4 magnitude earthquake strikes Taiwan's coast  (Read 814 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Two people were killed and nearly 150 people were injured after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Tuesday near the coast of Taiwan, leaving several people trapped under the rubble in toppled buildings, according to local reports and postings on social media.

Taiwan's premier said at least 144 people were injured after the earthquake hit the east coast of Taiwan, about 14 miles east-northeast of Hualian. The quake was reported around 11:50 p.m. local time, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. Preliminary information stated the quake was about six miles deep.

Another 5.1 magnitude tremor was felt shortly after. 

Dramatic photos of damage after the quake showed Marshal Hotel in Hualien partially collapsed, according to the Taiwan Observer. Rescue teams are responding to the area and people are believed to be trapped in the hotel. 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/02/06/6-4-magnitude-earthquake-shakes-taiwan-topples-buildings-reports-say.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
When I am in California, I usually try to stay on ground floors in the hotel, just in case. Based on that picture, that might not have been the best plan, depending on which side of the building you are on.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

Posted an hour ago on Facebook (on a Christian music site I visit):
As many of you may have heard from the news lately, Taiwan has been rocked by a series of earthquakes over the last week. I am a missionary here, been here 9 years, and we've never had anything like this. We've had 2 that measured over 6.5 and many that have been between 5.4 and 6. We had one day last week where we had THREE 6.0 earthquakes in one hour.

We could really stand to have your prayers. ...

The likelihood is that these quakes are setting up for something bigger coming. Taiwan has had a 7.3 in the past (9/21/99) that killed over 2400 people and it's not at all unlikely that something like that might be coming. Please.... keep us in your prayers.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Taiwan earthquake: Slanted residential complex tilting further into ground
Straits Times, Feb 7, 2018

HUALIEN (AFP) - Four mobile cranes were used to prop up a residential and commerical complex which was left tilting perilously after the magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit Taiwan's coastal city of Hualien.

Rescue efforts were suspended on Wednesday afternoon after incessant rainfall caused the building to tilt at an alarming rate of five cm per hour, reported TVBS News.

The Yun Men Tsui Ti complex houses an apartment block, a restaurant, shops and a hostel.

The quake left the 12-storey building leaning to one side, its lower floors crushed like pancakes.

The Hualien local fire service said 147 of the 213 residents from the building remained unaccounted for. Four bodies were recovered throughout the day.

One local who lives nearby told AFP how he watched the tower block partially collapse.

More:  http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/taiwan-earthquake-tilting-residential-complex-used-to-be-most-expensive-in-hualien

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:13:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline thackney

Those "braces" on the side of the building are like toothpicks holding up a truck.  They would barely slow it down if it starts to go.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

How would you like to be on the crew putting those braces in place?

Offline mountaineer

Those photos are stunning.

Aftershocks continue to rattle Taiwan after a strong earthquake that killed at least six people and injured more than 200 others.

The powerful 6.4-magnitude tremor struck at 23:50 (15:50 GMT) about 20km (12 miles) off the island's east coast.

Multiple buildings across the city of Hualien have been badly damaged. More than 140 people still remain unaccounted for from one building....

About 40,000 homes are without water, and highways and bridges have been closed.

Offices and schools in the city will remain closed on Wednesday.  ...
More, including videos, at BBC News

Offline mountaineer

Taiwan quake highlights hi-tech island's shoddy building past
Amber WANG
AFP•February 7, 2018

Taiwan has built itself a reputation for cutting edge technology, efficient public transport and safe streets. But an earthquake has again highlighted the well-off island's history of shoddy construction and questionable safety standards.

It has become a familiar sight. A quake strikes Taiwan, rattling homes and nerves but leaving most of the epicentre intact, except for one or two isolated spots where it strikes with deadly force.

Usually the collapsed buildings are old, built before Taiwan brought in better building codes, and still have not been reinforced. ...

Cheng Ming-chang, former head of the Tainan Civil Engineers Association in southern Taiwan, told AFP the "biggest barrier" to quake preparation was funding to reinforce the older buildings. ...  Full story by AFP via Yahoo News

Offline Suppressed

When I taught geology class, especially with engineering students, I showed a photo from a Japanese earthquake with "earthquake-proof construction"...a bunch of buildings totally intact, but lying on their sides.  Just because the building is built to withstand the quake doesn't mean the geotechnical properties of the soil to keep it up are there.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

When I taught geology class, especially with engineering students, I showed a photo from a Japanese earthquake with "earthquake-proof construction"...a bunch of buildings totally intact, but lying on their sides.  Just because the building is built to withstand the quake doesn't mean the geotechnical properties of the soil to keep it up are there.

San Fran soil liquefaction zones.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:52:07 pm by edpc »

Offline thackney

San Fran soil liquefaction zones.

Earthquake Park in Anchorage, Alaska already lived through that.  Lasting tribute to the event.

http://www.alaska.org/detail/earthquake-park

This 134-acre park is set in the woods where, in 1964, an entire neighborhood slid into the ocean during last century's most powerful earthquake. The earthquake was measured at a 9.2 on the Richter scale and lasted 4 minutes. Today, this tragic event is commemorated in Anchorage’s Earthquake Park, where you’ll find signs explaining the circumstances of the quake and its effect on the area.

Destruction of part of Turnagain Heights subdivision of the city of Anchorage by liquefaction of a sand layer in the Bootlegger Clay accompanying the Good Friday 1964 Earthquake in the Gulf of Alaska. The ground and the houses were disrupted; note the tilted trees.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
When I am in California, I usually try to stay on ground floors in the hotel, just in case. Based on that picture, that might not have been the best plan, depending on which side of the building you are on.
At least in California almost all modern buildings are relatively safe, but I have come to be uncomfortable when stuck in traffic below a freeway overpass. Still, it's all on what you grew up with, I would rather put up with earthquakes than tornadoes.

Offline edpc

At least in California almost all modern buildings are relatively safe, but I have come to be uncomfortable when stuck in traffic below a freeway overpass. Still, it's all on what you grew up with, I would rather put up with earthquakes than tornadoes.[/size

The weather can come up quickly and fiercely here in KS.  Twice this summer, I got the severe weather alert while kayaking.  That'll make you paddle.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Take a look at that building in posts 4 and 5 above, and then consider what's going to happen to the Millenium Tower in San Francisco (the one that's sinking and tipping right now) when the next earthquake hits there...

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Take a look at that building in posts 4 and 5 above, and then consider what's going to happen to the Millenium Tower in San Francisco (the one that's sinking and tipping right now) when the next earthquake hits there...
Hey if things shake out just right, the tower will be much shorter with several new sub basement floors :tongue2: