Author Topic: NASA scientists: People are born “creative geniuses” but get dumbed down by the U.S. education syst  (Read 571 times)

rangerrebew

NASA scientists: People are born “creative geniuses” but get dumbed down by the U.S. education system

Monday, February 05, 2018 by: David Williams   

(Natural News) Would you consider yourself a creative genius? If you asked other people that question, perhaps some might answer in the affirmative. But the vast majority of individuals, when confronted with that question, might say no. It’s not that they don’t really think they are the type of person to be considered creative or a genius. It’s just that they no longer see themselves as creative individuals. The older the person, the higher the chance that they would answer no to the question. This is based on the results of a shocking new study that posits that all people are creative geniuses at birth. It’s just that the system of education ends up dumbing them down as they move through it.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-02-05-nasa-scientists-people-are-born-creative-geniuses-but-get-dumbed-down-by-education-system.html

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"Genius" is by definition highly unusual, and not "normal". 

One issue I have with this article is the idea that everyone has to be above average, special, a genius.  Nope, most of us are normal.  And, that's fine.  Absolutely nothing wrong with being "normal".

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
:facepalm2:

If there was ever a place for a triple facepalm...this would be it.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

"Genius" is by definition highly unusual, and not "normal". 

One issue I have with this article is the idea that everyone has to be above average, special, a genius.  Nope, most of us are normal.  And, that's fine.  Absolutely nothing wrong with being "normal".

What is normal can vary quite a bit. Historically, 'genius' societies become 'dumass' societies and vice versa. Greece, Italy and Germany have shown quite a variance over time.

Offline goatprairie

total and complete bovine fecal matter.  Some people have it, some don't. Virtually everybody is born with a certain talents that can be expanded and worked on.
But if everybody is a genius at birth and only bad schools make them stupid, why do so many Asian immigrants shine at "awful" schools? Bad students make bad schools. Read Robert Weissberg.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What is normal can vary quite a bit. Historically, 'genius' societies become 'dumass' societies and vice versa. Greece, Italy and Germany have shown quite a variance over time.

No, think of what "genius" actually means in a population.  It's abnormal.  By definition.

Mass stupidity, on the other hand, can seem quite normal.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

I'm pretty sure most of them were born stupid.  Thus this threads major thesis is null and void.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

If there was ever a place for a triple facepalm...this would be it.

Yup. And I’d make one up, too, if I weren’t too old to be a “creative genius” anymore. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
While I don't buy the people are born creative geniuses crap, they are definitely alot more creative until the modern education system gets ahold of them and dumbs them down.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ConstitutionRose

While I don't buy the people are born creative geniuses crap, they are definitely alot more creative until the modern education system gets ahold of them and dumbs them down.

I agree that schooling and culture tends to destroy some of the creative juices in kids.   

My grandson is a genius (as Sheldon would say, "my Mommy had me tested".)  He certainly is NOT like the other little boys his age.  He sometimes feels the need to "dumb it down" in a social situation. 

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.