Author Topic: Exclusive: Intel's new smart glasses hands-on  (Read 296 times)

Offline thackney

Exclusive: Intel's new smart glasses hands-on
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:09 pm »
Exclusive: Intel's new smart glasses hands-on
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

The most important parts of Intel’s new Vaunt smart glasses are the pieces that were left out.

There is no camera to creep people out, no button to push, no gesture area to swipe, no glowing LCD screen, no weird arm floating in front of the lens, no speaker, and no microphone (for now).

From the outside, the Vaunt glasses look just like eyeglasses. When you’re wearing them, you see a stream of information on what looks like a screen — but it’s actually being projected onto your retina...

...Using a Vaunt display is unlike anything else I’ve tried. It projects a rectangle of red text and icons down in the lower right of your visual field. But when I wasn’t glancing down in that direction, the display wasn’t there. My first thought was that the frames were misaligned.

Turns out: that’s a feature, not a bug. The Vaunt display is meant to be nonintrusive. It’s there when you want it, and completely gone when you don’t. Without a speaker or vibrate mode to notify you, I couldn’t help but wonder if that would mean a bunch of missed information....

...”We didn’t want the notification to appear directly in your line of sight,” says Eastwood. “We have it about 15 degrees below your relaxed line of sight. … An LED display that’s always in your peripheral vision is too invasive. … this little flickering light. The beauty of this system is that if you choose not to look at it, it disappears. It is truly gone.”...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer