Author Topic: Holocaust denier running for Congress has no opponents in Republican primary  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
@Right_in_Virginia
"Wouldn't the question become how? As in, assuming this Nazi miscreant was a registered Republican, and legally qualified to make the race, how would the state party amend its rules to prevent him and others of his like from running as a Republican without causing a big migraine for the party?"

No funding by the RNC?
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant

Yes, that museum is bad enough.  I could never visit one of the camp sites in Europe, knowing what occurred there.

I don't even have a passport.  Everything I want to see is right here in the USA. I can visit other countries via the Internet, and not be fearful that behind the next building is someone waiting to cut my head off.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia
Wouldn't the question become how? As in, assuming this Nazi miscreant was a registered Republican, and legally qualified to make the race, how would the state party amend its rules to prevent him and others of his like from running as a Republican without causing a big migraine for the party? 

How about adding "we believe the Holocaust happened" to:  lower taxes, prolife, border security, strong military ... etc.

I'm half kidding @EasyAce ... but the GOP can set standards for people running for office under its banner.   Absent this, a flat out repudiation of this candidate is required ... that he is NOT a Republican --- no money, no support and no welcome to the House GOP Caucus if he wins.

If there's a will, there's a way.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
When I visited Auschwitz,  I saw somebody taking a Selfie, I wanted to slug them.

I can just imagine. I have read so many stories of the atrocities -- that is not even a strong enough word -- at Auschwitz and other sites.  I cannot even imagine  how the people who lived through that time could survive after it. Just the thought of it...

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
How about adding "we believe the Holocaust happened" to:  lower taxes, prolife, border security, strong military ... etc.

I'm half kidding @EasyAce ... but the GOP can set standards for people running for office under its banner.   Absent this, a flat out repudiation of this candidate is required ... that he is NOT a Republican --- no money, no support and no welcome to the House GOP Caucus if he wins.

Yep!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I can just imagine. I have read so many stories of the atrocities -- that is not even a strong enough word -- at Auschwitz and other sites.  I cannot even imagine  how the people who lived through that time could survive after it. Just the thought of it...

Now imagine surviving that as a young adult, then moving to a new home surrounded by nations that declare war on you in 1948, '67, and '73 with the same goals - your extermination.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
No funding by the RNC?
That would only fix part of it. Congressional candidates have been known to run without funding from the national party and still make a strong showing.
@Right_in_Virginia is right---the party organisations can set rules for candidates. And, should.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

... but the GOP can set standards for people running for office under its banner.   Absent this, a flat out repudiation of this candidate is required ... that he is NOT a Republican --- no money, no support and no welcome to the House GOP Caucus if he wins.
@Right_in_Virginia
I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about him winning. If that district is that strong a Democratic district, their incumbent could run on a parking ticket
and bury him. The state party chairman already renounced and repudiated him. But . . .

Even in that strong a Democratic stronghold, some Republican needs to find the will (the stones?) to challenge him in the primary. That challenger may not
have a chance in hell of knocking off the Democrat in the general, but at least the Republican Party in that district won't be able to provide fodder for the usual
gang of GOP-means-Nazi fools to make things even more miserable for them.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline anubias

No funding by the RNC?

I can pretty much guarantee that he will not receive funding, but that isn’t enough.  This mess will be on the news constantly with the big R after his name.  This is not good.

David Duke Part Two.

Oceander

I can pretty much guarantee that he will not receive funding, but that isn’t enough.  This mess will be on the news constantly with the big R after his name.  This is not good.

David Duke Part Two.

:thumbsup:

Offline dfwgator

Now imagine surviving that as a young adult, then moving to a new home surrounded by nations that declare war on you in 1948, '67, and '73 with the same goals - your extermination.

Even worse, the nation responsible for The Holocaust, in an attempt to atone,  imports millions of Muslims who hate the Jews even more than the Nazis did.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark.

Ping @Hopalong Ginsberg
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@EasyAce

When we went to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington, DC, I came out crying.  I did not even visit the final atrocities section.

I sat with a couple of docents because @Cyber Liberty was going through that area. A docent told me that some people come out laughing.  I was appalled!

I don't think I could ever go through there again.  The brutality one human could do to another is beyond my comprehension.

My father was 18 when he was in the army, and helped with the liberation of a camp after the war.

He had nightmares about what he saw, plus the fact he was Jewish....he never told us about it. I think he didn't want to upset his children. I had nightmares as a child of relatives with numbers tattooed on their arms....neighbors of my grandparents, people in synagogue .and all the candles grandma lit on The High Holiday Days for family members who died in those camps. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:28:15 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

@EasyAce

When we went to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington, DC, I came out crying.  I did not even visit the final atrocities section.

I sat with a couple of docents because @Cyber Liberty was going through that area. A docent told me that some people come out laughing.  I was appalled!

I don't think I could ever go through there again.  The brutality one human could do to another is beyond my comprehension.
@Slip18
I know exactly how you feel.

Offline dfwgator

My father was 18 when he was in the army, and helped with the liberation of a camp after the war.

He had nightmares about what he saw, plus the fact he was Jewish....he never told us about it. I think he didn't want to upset his children. I had nightmares as a child of relatives with numbers tattooed on their arms....neighbors of my grandparents, people in synagogue .and all the candles grandma lit on The High Holiday Days for family members who died in those camps.

Edward R. Murrow on Buchenwald....

! No longer available

I still wonder how many who heard this first-hand actually believed it at the time.

Offline anubias

@EasyAce

I reacted exactly as you when I went.  It’s more than decent people can comprehend.  For some freak to deny the holocaust after all the evidence, one would have to have a heart of stone.

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I hate Illinois Nazis.

He could be a Muslim. They feel the same way
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
No funding by the RNC?

Prevent use of any GOP assets such as logos, names, offices, etc.  It can be done via simple copyright law. Right now, this is all left to local precincts which often are dysfunctional or just social clubs. Many are just glad to have someone on the ticket and don't vet them at all.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Anyone can run for office. Ironically, this guy is a bit closer to several Democrats who have run for office.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline musiclady

Wow.  The choice between a Nazi and a Communist.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... I guess if I lived in the People's Republik of Illinois, none of the above works for me.

But, but........... it's a BINARY choice, doncha know??   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Even worse, the nation responsible for The Holocaust, in an attempt to atone,  imports millions of Muslims who hate the Jews even more than the Nazis did.

The horrible irony of that is overwhelming.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

For some freak to deny the holocaust after all the evidence, one would have to have no heart.
Fixed.

Offline Suppressed

@dfwgator

It's not for atonement.  It's an attempt to prevent their economy from collapsing.

Importing Muslims in the 60s and 70s gave them an economic miracle.  They were hoping to repeat that, not realizing that this "labor pool" was different.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EasyAce

Edward R. Murrow on Buchenwald....

! No longer available

I still wonder how many who heard this first-hand actually believed it at the time.
@dfwgator
Atrocity of that magnitude usually sounds too surreal to believe the first time you learn of it.

The part of Murrow's Buchenwald report that really shook me---and I'd heard it for the first time when I was in college and already
knew more than I ever wanted to know about the Holocaust---was when he cited one of the survivors, a Frenchman, quoting him:
"You will write something about this, perhaps. To write about this, you must have been here at least two years. And after that,
you don't want to write anymore."

I have that broadcast in the World War II section of my old-time radio collection. I also have a BBC Radio Newsreel broadcast
from 5 May 1945, discussing Bergen-Belsen, the camp at which among too many others Anne Frank and her older sister, Margot,
died.