Author Topic: Holocaust denier running for Congress has no opponents in Republican primary  (Read 3134 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Amy Wang
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/holocaust-denier-running-for-congress-has-no-opponents-in-republican-primary/ar-BBIHA0p
(via the Washington Post)

Like most candidates running for Congress, Arthur Jones has a campaign website.

It outlines the Republican candidate’s education background, his stance on issues and how to donate to his campaign to represent the Illinois’s Third Congressional District.

It also lays out Jones’s unapologetically racist and anti-Semitic views.

In a section called “Holocaust?” Jones describes the atrocities as a “racket” and “the biggest, blackest, lie in history.” Under another tab titled “Flags of Conflict,” he lists the Confederate flag first and describes it as “a symbol of White pride and White resistance” and “the flag of a White counter revolution.”

. . . [W]hen Chicago Sun-Times reporter Frank Main drove to Lyons, Ill., the suburb where Jones lives, the candidate was no less vocal about his extreme views.

“Well first of all, I’m running for Congress not the chancellor of Germany, all right?” Jones said. “To me, the Holocaust is what I said it is: It’s an international extortion racket” . . .

. . . Tim Schneider, the chairman of the Illinois Republican Party, told the Sun-Times that the party denounced Jones.

“The Illinois Republican Party and our country have no place for Nazis like Arthur Jones,” Schneider told the newspaper. “We strongly oppose his racist views and his candidacy for any public office, including the 3rd congressional District.”
--------------------------------------------------------------
Seems to me that if the Illinois GOP has no place for any kind of Nazi, they'd better find a candidate to oppose him pronto. This would seem the last thing
Republicans need.---EA.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Oceander

Offline dfwgator

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I hate Illinois Nazis.

The Idaho ones are more interesting.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline anubias

Good God.

Offline ABX

Waiting to hear the lesser of two evils argument made by someone.

Offline anubias

I assume the RNC won’t give him a dime and he will lose that seat.  It IS Illinois.  The armpit of the US.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The seat's been represented by a Democrat for as long as anyone can remember. The reason why he's the only one running is because no credible Republican is going to waste his or her time running for this seat against an entrenched incumbent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_3rd_congressional_district
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

The seat's been represented by a Democrat for as long as anyone can remember. The reason why he's the only one running is because no credible Republican is going to waste his or her time running for this seat against an entrenched incumbent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's_3rd_congressional_district
Yep, there's that Republican fighting spirit.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Wow.  The choice between a Nazi and a Communist.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... I guess if I lived in the People's Republik of Illinois, none of the above works for me.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mountaineer

Even if it is a sure defeat, a sane Republican should step up and file.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

Agreed. 

Online mountaineer

Former TOS member Hillary's Lovely Legs did her bit several years ago, running for Congress in a 100% Dem district.  She knew she couldn't win. Slightly different situation,  of course - no Nazi already in the race.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Right_in_Virginia

Agree.

Good God this is awful.   **nononono*

Offline dfwgator

Agreed.

And there is the rub.. Conservatives have a natural disdain for government, so they don't want to get involved in politics, so they cede the territory to liberals, who believe that government is the 'be all end all' of life. 

Offline ABX

Political parties really need to take control of their brand. No one has any right to run under a political party- those are private businesses. They should be able to say 'no, you can't use our brand or our name' just like a hamburger shop can't use McDonald's name.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Political parties really need to take control of their brand. No one has any right to run under a political party- those are private businesses. They should be able to say 'no, you can't use our brand or our name' just like a hamburger shop can't use McDonald's name.

VERY good point. 

Offline EasyAce

VERY good point.
@Right_in_Virginia
Wouldn't the question become how? As in, assuming this Nazi miscreant was a registered Republican, and legally qualified to make the race, how would the state party amend its rules to prevent him and others of his like from running as a Republican without causing a big migraine for the party?

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
@EasyAce

When we went to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington, DC, I came out crying.  I did not even visit the final atrocities section.

I sat with a couple of docents because @Cyber Liberty was going through that area. A docent told me that some people come out laughing.  I was appalled!

I don't think I could ever go through there again.  The brutality one human could do to another is beyond my comprehension.
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@EasyAce

When we went to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington, DC, I came out crying.  I did not even visit the final atrocities section.

I sat with a couple of docents because @Cyber Liberty was going through that area. A docent told me that some people come out laughing.  I was appalled!

I don't think I could ever go through there again.  The brutality one human could do to another is beyond my comprehension.

Yes, that museum is bad enough.  I could never visit one of the camp sites in Europe, knowing what occurred there.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

Sounds more like a Rat "plant" to me.

Offline dfwgator

Yes, that museum is bad enough.  I could never visit one of the camp sites in Europe, knowing what occurred there.

When I visited Auschwitz,  I saw somebody taking a Selfie, I wanted to slug them.