Author Topic: Elephant Tranquilizer Cut Into Cocaine Linked To Several Overdose Deaths  (Read 829 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
dailycaller
Steve Birr
Vice Reporter
2:39 PM 02/04/2018

[excerpt]

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/04/elephant-tranquilizer-cut-into-cocaine-linked-to-several-overdose-deaths/

Officials in a Pennsylvania county are warning the region that a deadly opiate-based elephant tranquilizer is possibly being cut into cocaine supplies.

Washington County District Attorney Eugene Vittone issued an alert Thursday night that two January overdose cases turned up positive for cocaine and carfentanil, a synthetic opioid roughly 10,000 times more powerful than morphine. County Coroner Tim Warco said the tests cannot determine if the cocaine and carfentanil ingested were mixed or taken separately, reports Trib Live.

Warco suspects a third overdose case from January will also show carfentanil ingestion when a final toxicology report is made. In neighboring Westmoreland County, where 30 overdose deaths were attributed to carfentanil in 2017, officials say overdoses linked to the substance increased toward the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:40:53 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline mountaineer

Re: Elephant Tranquilizer Cut Into Cocaine Linked To Several Overdose Deaths
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:06:29 am »
Wow. This county is barely 2 miles from us. I had heard the word carfentanil but didn't appreciate how dangerous it is.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:36:39 am »
Wow. This county is barely 2 miles from us. I had heard the word carfentanil but didn't appreciate how dangerous it is.
I recall reading a cop in Ohio brushed the spilled powder off his uniform, inhaled some, and it took four doses of Narcan to keep him alive. http://fox6now.com/2017/05/15/police-officer-accidentally-overdoses-after-drug-arrest-in-ohio/ That was just Fentanyl. Gram for gram, carfentanyl is 100 times as potent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:38 am »
I recall reading a cop in Ohio brushed the spilled powder off his uniform, inhaled some, and it took four doses of Narcan to keep him alive. http://fox6now.com/2017/05/15/police-officer-accidentally-overdoses-after-drug-arrest-in-ohio/ That was just Fentanyl. Gram for gram, carfentanyl is 100 times as potent.

If you're gonna use it to put a 10,000 to 16,000 lb animal down, yeah.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:04:43 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »

If you're gonna use it to put a 10,000 to 16,000 lb animal down, yeah.

Note to self: Do NOT blow the horn at the elephants....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:46:45 pm »
I wonder how they're getting it?  You would think the list of carfentanyl manufacturers, suppliers and dispensers would be pretty small. 

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:50:55 pm »
I wonder how they're getting it?  You would think the list of carfentanyl manufacturers, suppliers and dispensers would be pretty small.

Gotta ask yourself where, what part of the world, do they have elephants.

Look at the Governments of those countries.

Probably get all you want and relatively cheap too, for not much more than asking.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:53:03 pm »
It is a synthetic opioid, an analog of fentanyl which has no clinical use because of its strength. As such, it hasn't hit the abuse radar until relatively recently, and isn't regulated like clinical drugs. It is, most notably, an animal tranquilizer for very large animals.
Clinically, because it is 10,000 times as potent as heroin, the chance of a lethal outcome with a very small dose  renders it useless... however, mixing half a gram with a lot of manitol or other substance makes tens of thousands of doses of ersatz product with a huge street value. If that isn't done right, someone is going to die.

Since veterinary medicines are not regulated the same way, nor intended for human consumption (look at veterinary antibiotics, for instance), most veterinary medicine can be purchased with relatively few strings attached or hoops to jump through.

https://www.opiates.com/carfentanil-linked-heroin-overdoses/

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:21:02 pm »
It is a synthetic opioid, an analog of fentanyl which has no clinical use because of its strength. As such, it hasn't hit the abuse radar until relatively recently, and isn't regulated like clinical drugs. It is, most notably, an animal tranquilizer for very large animals.
Clinically, because it is 10,000 times as potent as heroin, the chance of a lethal outcome with a very small dose  renders it useless... however, mixing half a gram with a lot of manitol or other substance makes tens of thousands of doses of ersatz product with a huge street value. If that isn't done right, someone is going to die.

Since veterinary medicines are not regulated the same way, nor intended for human consumption (look at veterinary antibiotics, for instance), most veterinary medicine can be purchased with relatively few strings attached or hoops to jump through.

https://www.opiates.com/carfentanil-linked-heroin-overdoses/

Thanks, that helps.  I'm guessing that those cutting it aren't necessarily good with math or are particularly worried about the health of their clients.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 03:29:56 pm »
Thanks, that helps.  I'm guessing that those cutting it aren't necessarily good with math or are particularly worried about the health of their clients.
Not dealing with the best and the brightest in the Chemistry department, there. Sure, they want to keep the heat off by not having a bunch of dead folks lying around, but a few hot loads out there would be a test run or a hit. Killing off the clients is bad for business....

C S Lewis