Author Topic: White people who practise yoga contribute to racism, professor claims  (Read 625 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
A PROFESSOR has caused outrage after publishing a new paper that suggests your downward facing dog might be better performed in a white hood rather than yoga attire.

IF YOU are white and do yoga, you need to cease immediately or live with the knowledge that you are a dirty racist.

Well, this is the belief of a professor who claims practising yoga is contributing to “white supremacy” and a “system of power and oppression”. Who knew the downward-facing dog and Hitler had so much in common?

Michigan State University religious studies professor Shreena Gandhi and self-described “anti-racist white Jewish organiser, facilitator and healer” Lillie Wolff co-authored the piece titled Yoga And The Roots Of Cultural Appropriation.

The pair argued “the explosion of yoga studios, yoga video, apps, yoga pants and other yoga swag over the last two decades is evidence” of the “(mis)appropriation of yoga” that “is part of systemic racism” built on “the labour of black people and people of the global south”.

“We would argue one of the goals of white supremacy is to buffer white people from the pain that comes from the process of exchanging cultural grounding for the unearned power and privilege of whiteness,” they wrote.

“This modern-day trend of cultural appropriation of yoga is a continuation of white supremacy and colonialism, maintaining the pattern of white people consuming the stuff of culture that is convenient and portable, while ignoring the wellbeing and liberation of Indian people.”

According to Ms Gandhi, white people should learn yoga’s history, acknowledge the cultural appropriation they engage in and possibly reduce the cost of classes for poor people — a group that often includes people of colour and “recent immigrants, such as Indian women to whom this practice rightfully belongs”.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/white-people-who-practise-yoga-contribute-to-racism-professor-claims/news-story/0ac1012dca9197115ad27b50d7df2f91
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: White people who practise yoga contribute to racism, professor claims
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:02:42 pm »
Most of the tenets of the "cultural left" are the sort of ideas that Orwell remarked are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 02:05:04 pm »
This is as stupid as the folks on the other side claiming practicing Yoga is the same as participating in the occult.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:10:31 pm »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »
This is as stupid as the folks on the other side claiming practicing Yoga is the same as participating in the occult.

To be fair, there are different styles of yoga. The one you are referring to is Kundalini. Which, in its essence, is a form of worship of the mother goddess.  A release of serpent power.  So, from a Christian view, it is an occult/paganism practice.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 02:40:08 pm »
Look, I think we've all figured this out by now:

Progressives, who are best understood as a class of elite ideologues, are trying to redefine everything that was historically (and honestly) understood as cultural appreciation as "appropriation".

Their unvarnished purpose is to foment class- and race-hatred, thus validating their own crackpot theories and furthering their goal of controlling our lives, from a safe distance.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:41:22 pm »
:facepalm2:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:41:42 pm by Oceander »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 02:42:08 pm »

In other news, writing is cultural appropriation and the authors named above should go back to banging on the bongos...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 02:48:08 pm »
I bet this woke prof would pee her yoga pants if she knew I sometimes say a rosary during yoga sessions.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 02:51:17 pm »
I bet this woke prof would pee her yoga pants if she knew I sometimes say a rosary during yoga sessions.

Well, Blessed art thou, among women too! 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."