Author Topic: Mom shares a flu warning sign that most people probably aren't aware of  (Read 485 times)

Offline endicom

SFGate
Mike Moffitt
Feb. 1, 2018

With deaths of children from influenza mounting, a Nebraska mother took to social media to alert readers to an unusual symptom that may escape their notice.

Some 37 children reportedly have died in the U.S. from the flu, nearly double the total of last year's flu season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

On Friday, Brodi Willard, a registered nurse in Blair, Neb., posted on Facebook that her son came home from school with hives. The rash flared up on the back of his arm, above the elbow.

The itchy skin bumps and blotches wouldn't go away, even after bathing and changing clothes. So she called the family's pediatrician.

More... http://www.sfgate.com/healthredesign/article/Mom-shares-a-flu-warning-sign-that-most-people-12540851.php

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Mom shares a flu warning sign that most people probably aren't aware of
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:56:03 am »
"Were the kids' hives really a symptom of the flu or merely coincidental?"

:raise hand:

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:42:13 am »
"Were the kids' hives really a symptom of the flu or merely coincidental?"

:raise hand:

Young man, don't raise your hand if you've not done the reading!

It says that some viral infections, flu included, can cause the rash.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:05:47 am »
I had a cold, about a year ago, that gave me hives.  I'd never had them before.  It was just about the time of year that I have seasonal allergies so I thought it was related to that.  Started on just my shins, then added in my forearms, and then my abdomen.  After a few days of it I finally went to the doc and he suspected a simple cold.  I didn't feel bad other than the itchy hives and I had a cough.  The benadryl to manage the hives knocked me out though.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
After a few days of it I finally went to the doc and he suspected a simple cold.

I think I'd have been relieved but doubtful. Can't recall seeing this before.