Author Topic: Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat  (Read 3187 times)

rangerrebew

Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:54:39 pm »
 Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

1 / 26
Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Who can resist those big brown eyes and cute doggie grin? Can a little reward from the table or getting into Mom or Dad’s stuff really hurt your dog? Well, that depends on what it is and what's in it. If it contains the sweetener xylitol, it can cause your dog some real problems. In fact, there’s a lot of people food your dog should never eat. And, it’s not just because of weight. Some foods are downright dangerous for dogs -- and some of these common foods may surprise you.

https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat

Online roamer_1

Re: Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »
WHAAAAT?
Meat, fat trimmings, and fish? No bones? That's just crazy talk.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:45:29 pm »
This slideshow is a bunch of snowflake pansy bullshit. No bones or fatty meats? Maybe someone should let this asshat know that dog food as we know it is a new invention. Prior to that dogs ate butcher scraps and anything else laying around and they lived just fine.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 03:51:11 pm »
Heck, I'd be happy to get him to quit eating rotten meat and cat poop.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:35 pm »
I've heard about the grapes & chocolate. Don't need anyone to tell me about salt, medicine and alcohol.

As for the rest, I think most know not to feed your dog a half a birthday cake.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:55:40 pm »
I've heard about the grapes & chocolate. Don't need anyone to tell me about salt, medicine and alcohol.

Yeah the grape thing is right. Chewy got into some grapes... Ate the whole bag. Didn't actually hurt him none - he just hucked em up all over the house. Nice.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:01 pm »

I didn't exactly feed it to her, but I had a chihuahua who once ate half of a cake when I left it sitting on the coffee table.  She apparently had a cast-iron stomach, because she had no ill effects. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Au_Jus

• Adorable Deplorable
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:16:46 pm »

Bear in mind that we're literally having to tell people not to eat Tide pods.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 05:58:18 pm »
I didn't exactly feed it to her, but I had a chihuahua who once ate half of a cake when I left it sitting on the coffee table.  She apparently had a cast-iron stomach, because she had no ill effects.

We had a greyhound years ago that appeared to eat two full pound cakes.

Turns out a day later, he only ate one and hid the other in the couch for later.

A bit sick, but no lasting problems.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 06:01:55 pm »
Heck, I'd be happy to get him to quit eating rotten meat and cat poop.

D@mn. You should think about feeding your dog more often.  ^-^

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:02:14 pm »
WHAAAAT?
Meat, fat trimmings, and fish? No bones? That's just crazy talk.

I've been told no raw meat as it can make your dogs want more raw meat, like your kids.

Bones tend to become brittle when cooked.   They splinter and can get caught in your dogs GI tract.  We gave our dog a small round bone.  It ended up getting caught on his lower jaw behind his teeth.  I ended up taking tile nippers to cut it off.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:52 pm »
D@mn. You should think about feeding your dog more often.  ^-^

LOL! He's got a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of kibble in front of him at all times.
He just likes that crap. Nothing he likes better than scuba diving under the deck for tootsie rolls.
Unless it's rolling in dead things.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 07:17:54 pm »
I've been told no raw meat as it can make your dogs want more raw meat, like your kids.

@driftdiver
Nah. Two different things. Kids (and often cats and even chickens) are accepted as pack. They are guarded like they were pups.

I am partial to Wolf/Malamutes. Had em most of my life. Nothing much is closer to wild.
They got kibble, but they hardly ever ate it, because they got a fish a day, and fresh roadkill all the time - Sometimes delivered by my kid's own hand. Never heard of such a problem.

Bones tend to become brittle when cooked.   They splinter and can get caught in your dogs GI tract.  We gave our dog a small round bone.  It ended up getting caught on his lower jaw behind his teeth.  I ended up taking tile nippers to cut it off.

Some truth in that. I never give em T-bones for that purpose. But just about any other kind, to include chicken bones/parts once they were totally cooked down.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:26 pm »
@driftdiver
Nah. Two different things. Kids (and often cats and even chickens) are accepted as pack. They are guarded like they were pups.

I am partial to Wolf/Malamutes. Had em most of my life. Nothing much is closer to wild.
They got kibble, but they hardly ever ate it, because they got a fish a day, and fresh roadkill all the time - Sometimes delivered by my kid's own hand. Never heard of such a problem.

Some truth in that. I never give em T-bones for that purpose. But just about any other kind, to include chicken bones/parts once they were totally cooked down.

@roamer_1
As a kid I got a malamute that had killed some hogs on a farm.   The owners had a baby and werent giving the dog enough attention.

She was a great dog and would protect me with her life.  As long as you werent a hog

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 07:29:14 pm »
As long as you werent a hog

Funny that, @driftdiver ...
All of mine hated bears with a passion. Especially Brown, my last one. Even griz... He was all in. Never had to worry about bears in the bush with him around - Though a cougar messed him up pretty bad one time.
Some say bears are just hairy pigs...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »
I had a dog get into a Valentine's heart shaped box of chocolates I gave my wife.
She had left it on the coffee table overnight.
The dog was 12 at the time and lived 5 more years after this incident, but she got really sick.
Touch and go for a few days.
That same dog got into some neglected Sonic tater tots with cheese, and ate the cardboard where some of the cheese had melted on it.
That dog looked like a coyote mix, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was.

Onions are another thing to be careful with.
My 2 hound dogs (a beagle, and a foxhound), love 'em, and every time I bring a What-a-burger home, I've got to get to any I drop before they do.
Onions can do something weird to their blood, but I don't think mine have been harmed.
Not sure the amount needed to cause damage, or whether they are cooked or not, if those things come into play.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:21 pm »
I had a dog get into a Valentine's heart shaped box of chocolates I gave my wife.

Chewy did that. His poop came out in little brown wrappers for three days.
It was hell getting em all back in the box.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 07:35:40 pm »

:silly:

I wished it were like that!
Would have made clean up a whole lot easier.

Online berdie

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 07:36:05 pm »
@driftdiver

I had a wolf/husky mix. The best most beautiful dog ever! A little on the reserved side...and a true hunter.

I at one time made homemade food for my pack. Partially used raw meat. They never went after any kids. Heck, once upon a time dogs ate anything left on the dinner table. They were the garbage disposals.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 07:46:22 pm »

I had a wolf/husky mix. The best most beautiful dog ever! A little on the reserved side...and a true hunter.

@berdie
I miss em talking to me. I really do. If I ever get my pins back under me, I'll have another, I guarantee.
But for now, just an ozzie cowdog. He's just fine with a 1/2 acre of back yard, and I don't have to run him every day just to keep him even. That's all I can handle for now. And his poop is little enough that the grass lifts it up for the mower. That's a feature  right there, I'll tell you what.

I at one time made homemade food for my pack. Partially used raw meat. They never went after any kids. Heck, once upon a time dogs ate anything left on the dinner table. They were the garbage disposals.

Heck yeah. Mine still is. If I ain't careful he takes it before its time and I go hungry. And if it hits the floor, it's his in his mind - He's got the 5 second rule pared down to 3.5.  :shrug:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 07:57:22 pm »
She had left it on the coffee table overnight.
The dog was 12 at the time and lived 5 more years after this incident, but she got really sick.
Touch and go for a few days.
That same dog got into some neglected Sonic tater tots with cheese, and ate the cardboard where some of the cheese had melted on it.
That dog looked like a coyote mix, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was.

Onions are another thing to be careful with.
My 2 hound dogs (a beagle, and a foxhound), love 'em, and every time I bring a What-a-burger home, I've got to get to any I drop before they do.
Onions can do something weird to their blood, but I don't think mine have been harmed.
Not sure the amount needed to cause damage, or whether they are cooked or not, if those things come into play.

Anything in the onion family, so garlic too.   They cause liver damage and the amount depends on the dog. 

There are lists of foods bad for dogs, even lethal.

Alcohol, my dog loves beer but I cant give it to him anymore
Avocado
Coffee, Chocolate, Caffeine
citrus,
coconut
grapes
macadamia nuts
milk
nuts

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:58:40 pm »
:pondering:

Had a Golden retriever that loved to eat the crotch out of my 2nd wives panties.  One day after a healthy dump he was scootin all over the backyard.  Scoot, walk scoot some more. Then he'd roll over and lick his butt and grab at something.   I walk over to see what my retarded dog was up to when I see about 12  inches of something sticking out his poopchute.   Unbeknownst to us he had graduated from panties to panty hose.  You have never lived till you pull a nude sheer toed pair of panty hose from a dogs butt.

I put it back in the platic egg shell container and left it for my wife.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:59:22 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:24 pm »
You have never lived till you pull a nude sheer toed pair of panty hose from a dogs butt.

I put it back in the platic egg shell container and left it for my wife.

:silly: :silly: :silly:
 :beer:

Worst I ever had was my first dog named Charlie (Had 3 with that name) He chewed up a ball of yarn... got sick as hell (though I didn't know why) a day later he shat part of it out the back and barfed the rest out the front... Still connected in the middle.

Then the question is, which end to pull from??
Turned out I had to pump him full of oi to grease everything up, and it hung up trying to pull it out the front... So that decided that... There's two hours of my life I'll never get back.

There's how much I loved that dog.
I'd never do that for a friend.  :shrug:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
:silly: :silly: :silly:
 :beer:

There's how much I loved that dog.
I'd never do that for a friend.  :shrug:

LOL.

It's like that guy who was camping with his buddies and went into the woods to answer the call of nature. While squating a rattle snake bit him on his johnson.  He stumbles out of the woods and tells his buddies what happened.  With no cell service one guy takes off running for help.  He finally gets a signal and calls 911. The operator explains that to save his friend he needs to make two cuts across the fang marks and suck the poison out or he will die.
The guy runs back to camp to comfort his friend and told him he called 911.  His friend asks what did the emergency operator say. He leaned down and replied:  "You're gonna die"
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:42 pm »