Author Topic: U.S. Copyright Authorities to Make Subscription Music Services Increase Payout Rate to Publishers an  (Read 295 times)

Offline Suppressed

U.S. Copyright Authorities to Make Subscription Music Services Increase Payout Rate to Publishers and Musicians
Rob Arcand   January 28, 2018 12:59 pm
https://www.spin.com/2018/01/u-s-copyright-authorities-to-make-subscription-music-services-increase-payout-rate-to-publishers-and-musicians/

American copyright authorities have ruled to increase royalty payments on streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora over the next five years. On Saturday, the Copyright Royalty Board of the U.S. Library of Congress issued a written decision to adjust the revenue rates for songwriters and music publishers on streaming sites.

The National Music Publishers Association said that the ruling would require streaming companies to give 15.1% of their revenue to music publishers and songwriters, up from the current 10.5% rate for mechanical and performance royalties.

[...]

Streaming services would continue to pay mechanical licensing fees to license music from publishers, now adjusted for the higher 15.1% rate. As it stands now, U.S. law requires the Copyright Royalty Board to determine rates for these fees, rather than allowing publishers to negotiate with streaming platforms themselves.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just a observation, for a great many of the older artists or their heirs, 40's or even earlier through 70's where would the music be played that they would receive even a penny of royalties. I use Pandora, albeit the free version with ads, but I predominately listen to music from the period I mentioned or classical. Other than one AM station that plays what I consider oldies and one FM classical station nobody else plays the music.

Offline Suppressed

Just a observation, for a great many of the older artists or their heirs, 40's or even earlier through 70's where would the music be played that they would receive even a penny of royalties. I use Pandora, albeit the free version with ads, but I predominately listen to music from the period I mentioned or classical. Other than one AM station that plays what I consider oldies and one FM classical station nobody else plays the music.
@GtHawk

You can get stations via TuneIn.  Prime Music has some, too, if you have Amazon Prime.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn