Author Topic: Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases  (Read 611 times)

Offline Suppressed

Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases
Data about exercise routes shared online by soldiers can be used to pinpoint overseas facilities
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases
Alex Hern  @alexhern
Sun 28 Jan 2018 16.51 EST First published on Sun 28 Jan 2018 12.46 EST

A military base in Helmand Province, Afghanistan with route taken by joggers highlighted by Strava.

Sensitive information about the location and staffing of military bases and spy outposts around the world has been revealed by a fitness tracking company.

The details were released by Strava in a data visualisation map that shows all the activity tracked by users of its app, which allows people to record their exercise and share it with others.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:18 am »
I love Strava.   I seriously doubt this is a problem.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."