Author Topic: Amos Humiston: Union Soldier Who Died at the Battle of Gettysburg  (Read 889 times)

rangerrebew

Amos Humiston: Union Soldier Who Died at the Battle of Gettysburg

By Mark H. Dunkelman
8/19/1997 • America's Civil War

Of all the fallen heroes of the epic, three-day Civil War Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, this Union soldier was unique. He had not led a charge, nor captured an enemy flag, nor rescued a comrade under fire. Instead, his fame rested on his dying act of devotion and love; his death pose made his story special.

Found after the battle, in a secluded spot in the town near the intersection of Stratton and York Streets, the soldier bore nothing on his person to identify him. But clutched in his hand was an ambrotype photograph of three young children. In his final moments, he had fixed his gaze on the image of his beloved little ones, and carried the sight with him into death. The picture was freed from his frozen grip, and he was buried in an unknown’s grave.

http://www.historynet.com/amos-humiston-union-soldier-who-died-at-the-battle-of-gettysburg.htm

Offline mountaineer

Re: Amos Humiston: Union Soldier Who Died at the Battle of Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:08 pm »
What an interesting story!

I did some genealogical research a few days ago and found my great-great-great-grandfather served in Virginia's 22nd Infantry. It doesn't appear they were at Gettysburg, though. The only interesting thing about them is that they at one point were commanded by Col George S. Patton, grandfather of the WWII general.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

Re: Amos Humiston: Union Soldier Who Died at the Battle of Gettysburg
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:34:31 pm »
Amazing. Thanks for posting.

My folks went through a geneological phase some years back, too, and found a great x uncle who was the only KIA in his Penn infantry regiment on the second day at Antietam. Even found his picture.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:36:56 pm by skeeter »