Author Topic: Trump Willing To Sign A Revamped Paris Climate Deal  (Read 1100 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Willing To Sign A Revamped Paris Climate Deal
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:40:57 am »
London (AFP) - President Donald Trump would be willing to sign the US back up to the Paris climate accord, but only if the treaty undergoes major change, he said in comments published Sunday.

Trump was met with global condemnation when he announced in June 2017 that the United States was pulling out of the Paris climate agreement, painting it a "bad deal" for the US economy.

While the president remains firm in his criticism of the historic accord, which was signed by his predecessor Barack Obama, he said he would be willing to sign up to a revamped deal.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-willing-sign-revamped-paris-climate-deal-001206948.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump Willing To Sign A Revamped Paris Climate Deal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:53 am »
OK - say we get better terms.  What's in it for us to be in the deal, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:42:20 am by edpc »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:10:52 am »
So much for one of Trump's accomplishments I keep reading about from Trump supporters and pro-Trump media outlets. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:04:02 am »
So much for one of Trump's accomplishments I keep reading about from Trump supporters and pro-Trump media outlets.

Everything is negotiable.

No principle.

We knew this before the election.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »
Everything is negotiable.

No principle.

We knew this before the election.

I get re-negotiating NAFTA and TPP.  There is actual trade involved.  I'm just not sure how this accord does anything but restrict our energy policy, regardless of terms.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:55:30 pm by edpc »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:21 pm »
The President has consistently said if better terms for the United States could be negotiated he would reconsider the Paris Climate Agreement.  He even said this during his speech announcing our withdrawal. 

Merkel, on behalf of the rest of the world, has consistently said "no new negotiations".  And the President shrugs, smiles and says "okay".

This is more recycled  :bs: with the sole purpose of keeping folks on the NeverTrump plantation.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:24:21 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »

He wants a piece of the action.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:30:20 pm »
The President has consistently said if better terms for the United States could be negotiated he would reconsider the Paris Climate Agreement.  He even said this during his speech announcing our withdrawal. 

Merkel, on behalf of the rest of the world, has consistently said "no new negotiations".

This is more recycled  :bs: with the sole purpose of keeping folks on the NeverTrump plantation.

What the f ever.  How does being in this accord benefit us at all, no matter what the terms are?  It's just a bunch of one-worlders nodding and saying 'we agree.'

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »
   If you've ever been so enamored by a President as @Right_in_Virginia is with Trump you'd understand her ramblings @edpc.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 05:00:20 pm »
What benefit is there in backpedaling on this issue? None I can see. We're out, and let's stay there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 05:02:37 pm »

Merkel, on behalf of the rest of the world, has consistently said "no new negotiations".  And the President shrugs, smiles and says "okay".

But as long as Trump is willing to re-negotiate, can Trump supporters keep the withdrawal from the Paris accord out of the "win" column?

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 05:12:26 pm »

What the f ever.  How does being in this accord benefit us at all, no matter what the terms are?  It's just a bunch of one-worlders nodding and saying 'we agree.'

Why, why get so upset over something that is not going to happen?  The President threw a bone to the global warming nut jobs knowing there will be no negotiations ... they're not about to say "okay, don't give us your billions". 

There's no reason to believe the media spin on this. 

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 05:14:25 pm »
What benefit is there in backpedaling on this issue? None I can see. We're out, and let's stay there.

The point is:  The President is not "backpedaling".  He's said this on the day he announced our withdrawal---knowing the outcome.  It was a safe bone to throw.  That's all. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:17:35 pm »
Why, why get so upset over something that is not going to happen?  The President threw a bone to the global warming nut jobs knowing there will be no negotiations ... they're not about to say "okay, don't give us your billions". 

There's no reason to believe the media spin on this.

I'm neither upset about the renegotiation nor buying media spin.  I'd just like to have my question answered.  Why do we even care about being involved in this accord?

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:24:14 pm »

I'm neither upset about the renegotiation nor buying media spin.  I'd just like to have my question answered.  Why do we even care about being involved in this accord?

Who says the President does?  He gave his pat answer to the globalists who continue to ask him the same question.  It should be expected by now.  It's become meaningless.   :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 08:09:09 pm »
The point is:  The President is not "backpedaling".  He's said this on the day he announced our withdrawal---knowing the outcome.  It was a safe bone to throw.  That's all.
You can call it 'advancing to the rear' if you want, but it still looks like a retreat from the cheap seats.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:37 pm »
So what terms would have to be in it for Trump to sign it?  Isn’t that what matters?