Author Topic: What is chain migration?  (Read 563 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What is chain migration?
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:00:22 am »
What is chain migration?
Rafael Bernal

A key part of immigration talks concerns “chain migration,” a term used by and other conservatives to describe “family migration” and “family reunification visas.”

Trump has demanded an end to the program, and it is one of four pillars to immigration talks along with a permanent solution to the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, border security and the diversity visa lottery program.

Chain or family migration is a system of visas that allow U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents to petition the government to allow their close relatives to immigrate to the United States.

Read more at: http://thehill.com/homenews/politics-101/370796-what-is-chain-migration

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: What is chain migration?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:08:57 am »
I have seen it in action. My employer got an employee a Green Card. Next he applied for citizenship.

And next their in laws started coming, in this case from India.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:14:43 am »
So, they are talking about potentially 1.8 dreamers, then, in all fairness, these 1.8 million will likely have family members and that will bring that number up as well.

In the meantime, "chain migration" occurs, they have to go through legal hoops, but still, I would think quite a few who come in this manner are made American citizens every year.

So, is there an evening out point? I think Trump is trying to see what the Democrats might accept.

What a pity we have to fool with a broken immigration system benefiting the Democratic party.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:41:12 am »
It’s not always a bad thing, but there’s been terrible abuse of the program.  I grew up in a town where 9 family members escaped the Cambodian killing fields to Thailand.  They eventually made their way to the US through Thailand and the Philippines via chain migration.  Most of them are professionals with advanced degrees today.  The others own a small business.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:26 am »
Chain Migration brings in 1.3 million immigrants a year who can then, get in line to become citizens.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states#CurrentHistoricalNumbers

So, that appears worse than this one time 1.8 million dreamers (+ family members) deal and the end of chain migration, building the wall and more over the long run. It would take research.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:35:24 am »
It’s not always a bad thing, but there’s been terrible abuse of the program.  I grew up in a town where 9 family members escaped the Cambodian killing fields to Thailand.  They eventually made their way to the US through Thailand and the Philippines via chain migration.  Most of them are professionals with advanced degrees today.  The others own a small business.

We should make special exceptions with cases like this. We have plenty of Cambodians, they are "relatively" conservative, vote for candidates of both parties. <--- At least, per one family, Vietnamese, Hmong, also seem to have a number of conservatives.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:49:37 am by TomSea »