Author Topic: Trump administration wants to end NASA funding for the International Space Station by 2025  (Read 897 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trump administration wants to end NASA funding for the International Space Station by 2025
The end may be in sight for the two-decade-old program
By Loren Grush@lorengrush  Jan 24, 2018, 8:49pm EST

The International Space Station Image: NASA

The Trump administration is preparing to end support for the International Space Station program by 2025, according to a draft budget proposal reviewed by The Verge. Without the ISS, American astronauts could be grounded on Earth for years with no destination in space until NASA develops new vehicles for its deep space travel plans.

The draft may change before an official budget request is released on February 12th. However, two people familiar with the matter have confirmed to The Verge that the directive will be in the final proposal. We reached out to NASA for comment, but did not receive a response by the time of publication.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

Why wait until the end of a potential second Trump term?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
US President Donald Trump did sign a bill in March 2017 regarding transitioning ISS away from Nasa authority and funding, but the agency has not released information on that and has not responded to a request for comment on the matter as yet.

The purpose of the bill was to free up the $3-4bn a year Nasa spends on ISS - a total of $87bn US investment - to develop Nasa’s own spacecraft and research capabilities.

According to The Verge: “Nasa has been developing both a giant rocket, the Space Launch System, and a crew capsule, Orion, to take astronauts beyond lower Earth orbit.”

The announcement also comes on the heels of Mr Trump’s December 2017 comment that it was time for the US to reclaim "America's proud destiny in space".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-iss-funding-cut-nasa-international-space-station-a8178461.html
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline kevindavis007

This is where I agree with Trump 100%.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”