Author Topic: Campaigners are petitioning Netflix to censor a comedy special containing ‘hate speech’  (Read 1055 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Thanks to the publicity from the PC police I'm going to watch this tonight.

Comedian Tom Segura's controversial joke has been criticised by organisations including the Canadian Down Syndrome Society

Netflix is facing calls to censor a new comedy special which features alleged “hate speech” against people with Down Syndrome.

In his Netflix special Disgraceful, US comedian Tom Segura delivers a riff on the use of the word “retarded”.

After maligning the fact that it’s no longer socially acceptable to use the word “retarded” as a substitute for something stupid or foolish, Segura adds: “Now you’ve gotta be like, ‘That’s not… smart. Your idea has an extra 21st chromosome, if you ask me.’ It’s not the same.”

Segura’s punchline mocks the fact that Down Syndrome often arises when a person is born with a partial or full third copy of their 21st chromosome.

The controversial riff has been criticised by organisations including the Canadian Down Syndrome Society, who branded Segura’s language “offensive and disrespectful”. Meanwhile, Change.org petition called “Take it down, Netflix” has been launched.

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/netflix-hate-speech-comedian-tom-segura-2227191

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online goatprairie

If we could legally censor all speech that offended someone, there would be very little free speech.  Far better to let the rough stuff out in the air than shut down everything that might offend people.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Yet one can drop F-bombs and yell  ****cute kitty jokes while nobody bats an eyelash.

I think we have a twisted view of what is offensive humor these days.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online goatprairie

I always find it amusing liberals, who define themselves as believing in more freedom, constantly try to limit speech....unless, of course, it agrees with their own beliefs.
I remember fifty years and more when the Free Speech Movement got started, and libs everywhere railed against the "repressive" rules and regulations concerning speech on tv and other media forms.
George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, and others were at the forefront demanding the right to say ugly or profane things  on tv and other public places.  They got that right. And aren't we all better for it?  :whistle:
But now most of the same types desperately want to stifle the speech rights of people i.e. conservatives they hate.
Just proving again what tremendous hypocrites they are.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:54:40 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Frank Cannon

The Canadians think calling someone "retarded" is insulting, it's nowhere near as insulting as being called "Canadian".

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
"Extra chromosome Republicans"?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The Canadians think calling someone "retarded" is insulting, it's nowhere near as insulting as being called "Canadian".

I bet the Canucks just love Matt and Trey.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online goatprairie

Hey folks, it was a Canadian, Jordan Peterson, who has just struck one of the biggest blows against leftist fascism in his utter demolition  of  leftist  talk show host Cathy Newman. Everybody should watch that video.