Author Topic: Should raw sushi eaters be worried about tapeworms?  (Read 1036 times)

rangerrebew

Should raw sushi eaters be worried about tapeworms?
« on: January 23, 2018, 03:11:46 pm »

Should raw sushi eaters be worried about tapeworms?
January 23, 2018 by Vincent Ho, The Conversation

Australians love their sushi and consume more than 115 million servings of seaweed-wrapped rolls and sashimi (slices of raw fish) per year.

But a story doing the rounds this week is enough to scare anyone off their raw salmon lunch. A Californian man presented to his local emergency department with abdominal cramps and bloody diarrhoea – caused by a 1.5-metre tapeworm. He seems to have contracted the parasite from raw sushi, which he ate most days.

Tapeworms are flat, segmented worms that live in the intestines of animals and humans.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-raw-sushi-eaters-tapeworms.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Should raw sushi eaters be worried about tapeworms?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:19:08 pm »
No, all sushi fish in the US is required to be frozen before use.   This kills any parasites.

If the fish is sourced from reputable suppliers the risk of this is extremely low.   If you buy sushi at the bargain shop then you are taking your chances.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:08 pm »
Probably.  Cook your damn fish like civilized people.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:41:58 pm »
No, all sushi fish in the US is required to be frozen before use.   This kills any parasites.

If the fish is sourced from reputable suppliers the risk of this is extremely low.   If you buy sushi at the bargain shop then you are taking your chances.

You mean I should get the gas station sushi?

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:45:22 pm »

Depends on the station. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »
It's funny to me how everyone de-worms their cats and dogs regularly, and that every sort of farm animal has to be de-wormed regularly, but somehow, hoomins think they are immune. It's not even part of normal medical checks. Western medicine never checks for parasite load.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:13:33 pm »
My father once gave me a little advice, never eat in an Chinese restaurant next to a pound.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:22:53 pm »
My father once gave me a little advice, never eat in an Chinese restaurant next to a pound.

My father told me that if it smells like fish, eat it. He was a big angler in those days.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 10:27:19 pm »
My father told me that if it smells like fish, eat it. He was a big angler in those days.

I think we know what he was angling for.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 10:31:42 pm »

@Neverdul

I think you should go for it.  711 only has the freshest sushi.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:32:45 pm »

True story. I had just adopted a stray kitten and wanted to get him checked out, get his shots, to a veterinary clinic that had been recommended to me by a friend.

It was located in a strip mall and on one side of the veterinary clinic was a Chinese restaurant and on the other side was, I swear as God as my witness, a taxidermy shop.  Talk about bad business placement.  :nometalk:

As it turned out, aside from the unfortunate placement, I didn't like the vet, she was rather cold and sort of nasty and found another vet I liked better.

And for some reason, "Moe" didn't freak out nearly as bad a the new vet's.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:41 pm »

It was located in a strip mall and on one side of the veterinary clinic was a Chinese restaurant and on the other side was, I swear as God as my witness, a taxidermy shop.  Talk about bad business placement.  :nometalk:

Perfect!   lol

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:38 pm »
It's funny to me how everyone de-worms their cats and dogs regularly, and that every sort of farm animal has to be de-wormed regularly, but somehow, hoomins think they are immune. It's not even part of normal medical checks. Western medicine never checks for parasite load.

I ran across an article a while ago that basically talked about how they think that in the old days, when hookworm "infection" was common in people there was a lot less inflammatory disease.  I can't find that article, but here are some others from a google search of "hookworms may reduce inflammation"

Bloodsucking Hookworms May Provide A Treatment For Asthma
https://www.popsci.com/bloodsucking-hookworms-may-provide-treatment-for-asthma

Hookworms May Reduce Celiac Disease Patients' Gluten Intolerance Symptoms
http://www.medicaldaily.com/hookworms-may-reduce-celiac-disease-patients-gluten-intolerance-symptoms-305236

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:24 pm »
@Neverdul

I think you should go for it.  711 only has the freshest sushi.

I do like sushi but I'm pretty particular about were I get it from and typically won't get the pre-packaged stuff even at the grocery store.

There was a great place near where I worked in Timonium, MD that I used to lunch at sometimes. It was owned by an honest to goodness Japanese man and all the sushi chefs were also Japanese, (probably fresh off the boat and they didn't speak much if any English). My boss at the time and her son were very involved in Japanese martial arts and her husband was retired military and they had all lived in Japan for several years while he had been stationed there, and she recommended the place to me as being the real deal. It was very fresh and very good.

The only exception to the grocery store sushi was a Wegman's but again, I'd order fresh made by the Japanese guys at the counter and not the pre-packaged stuff sitting in the cooler.

One of my other guilty pleasures is raw shucked oysters even though I know there is a risk in eating them if the aren't sourced and handled properly.

Growing up in Maryland, one of the ways organizations would do fundraisers would be to host a "Bull & Oyster Roast" - pit beef, pit ham, raw oysters, oyster stew, padded oysters, deep fried clams, all sorts of side dishes and all the beer you could drink and usually a kick ass rock and roll or blues band.  :beer:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:23 pm »
I do like sushi but I'm pretty particular about were I get it from and typically won't get the pre-packaged stuff even at the grocery store.

There was a great place near where I worked in Timonium, MD that I used to lunch at sometimes. It was owned by an honest to goodness Japanese man and all the sushi chefs were also Japanese, (probably fresh off the boat and they didn't speak much if any English). My boss at the time and her son were very involved in Japanese martial arts and her husband was retired military and they had all lived in Japan for several years while he had been stationed there, and she recommended the place to me as being the real deal. It was very fresh and very good.

The only exception to the grocery store sushi was a Wegman's but again, I'd order fresh made by the Japanese guys at the counter and not the pre-packaged stuff sitting in the cooler.

One of my other guilty pleasures is raw shucked oysters even though I know there is a risk in eating them if the aren't sourced and handled properly.

Growing up in Maryland, one of the ways organizations would do fundraisers would be to host a "Bull & Oyster Roast" - pit beef, pit ham, raw oysters, oyster stew, padded oysters, deep fried clams, all sorts of side dishes and all the beer you could drink and usually a kick ass rock and roll or blues band.  :beer:

@Neverdul
People think sushi fish is fresh but its really about 4 days old.   In the US all fish has to be frozen if you buy it in a store.  Sushi fish is no exception.    Our supermarket used to have good sushi but the guy making it quit and its not good anymore.   Only a couple places I'll eat it from.  When its good, then its really good.  When its not good then its bait.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:56 pm »
True story. I had just adopted a stray kitten and wanted to get him checked out, get his shots, to a veterinary clinic that had been recommended to me by a friend.

As it turned out, aside from the unfortunate placement, I didn't like the vet, she was rather cold and sort of nasty and found another vet I liked better.

And for some reason, "Moe" didn't freak out nearly as bad a the new vet's.

@Neverdul , I'm glad you found a good vet. A good vet is wonderful.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:53:12 pm »
I ran across an article a while ago that basically talked about how they think that in the old days, when hookworm "infection" was common in people there was a lot less inflammatory disease.  I can't find that article, but here are some others from a google search of "hookworms may reduce inflammation"

https://www.popsci.com/bloodsucking-hookworms-may-provide-treatment-for-asthma

Hookworms May Reduce Celiac Disease Patients' Gluten Intolerance Symptoms
http://www.medicaldaily.com/hookworms-may-reduce-celiac-disease-patients-gluten-intolerance-symptoms-305236

I recall being in the car and listening to NPR (yea, I know but they have some shows I like to listen to like Radiolab) and listening to a science show on that very topic but not only Asthma but also for allergies.

But I think I'll pass.  **nononono*

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
Probably.  Cook your damn fish like civilized people.

I've never found the appeal of eating raw fish.
Some folks love it, but I am definitely not one of them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:13 pm »
I ran across an article a while ago that basically talked about how they think that in the old days, when hookworm "infection" was common in people there was a lot less inflammatory disease.  I can't find that article, but here are some others from a google search of "hookworms may reduce inflammation

Well ain't that something. I'll be reading up on that tonight. thx.

Silver Pines

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:22 pm »
I've never found the appeal of eating raw fish.
Some folks love it, but I am definitely not one of them.

@GrouchoTex

Yeah, cavemen went to a lot of trouble to discover fire for us, and it really improved our food. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 01:33:11 am »
Eat raw fish?
Are you kiddin'...?

Would you eat raw pork?
Or raw chicken?
Or raw beef?

Ugh.

I prefer Tobin's baloney...!

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 01:42:07 am »
Eat raw fish?
Are you kiddin'...?

Would you eat raw pork?
Or raw chicken?
Or raw beef?

Ugh.

I prefer Tobin's baloney...!

Steak Tartare

Man, it was great!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 01:46:38 am »
Will it help me lose these last few pounds?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 01:50:29 am »
@Neverdul
People think sushi fish is fresh but its really about 4 days old.   In the US all fish has to be frozen if you buy it in a store.  Sushi fish is no exception.    Our supermarket used to have good sushi but the guy making it quit and its not good anymore.   Only a couple places I'll eat it from.  When its good, then its really good.  When its not good then its bait.

I've seen fish sold in stores in the US labelled "fresh, never frozen" (which I avoid, I'd prefer it frozen during the trip from the sea to me).  I've also seen restaurants where you could pick your fish out of a tank (and eat it raw, IIRC).

http://www.publix.com/products-services/seafood/fresh-seafood

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.