Author Topic: Schumer: GOP Has 'Forgotten the Lessons of the Founding Fathers' by Not Compromising  (Read 2045 times)

Offline endicom

PJ Media
Nicholas Ballasy
Jan. 21, 2018

Excerpt:

Schumer blamed Trump for the shutdown, adding that Republicans “failed” to negotiate with Democrats on adding a DACA solution to the CR.

“Our democracy was designed to run on compromise. The Senate was designed to run on compromise. We are no dictatorship, subject to the whims of an executive. Just as we're not a one-party system where the winner of an election gets to decide everything and the minority nothing. We are a government that can only operate if the majority party, the governing party, accepts and seeks compromise. The majority, however, has forgotten the lessons of the Founding Fathers. They have shown that they do not know how to compromise,” Schumer said.

“Not only do they not consult us, they can't even get on the same page with their president, the president from their own party. The congressional leaders tell me to negotiate with President Trump. President Trump tells me to figure it out with the congressional leaders. This political Catch-22, never seen before, has driven our government to dysfunction. Americans know why the dysfunction is occurring – a dysfunctional president,” he added.

More... https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/schumer-gop-forgotten-lessons-founding-fathers-not-compromising/

Anyone need some manure?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Fine, in the spirit of The Founders and compromise, fund and build a wall on 3/5ths of the border.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

You mean like when we compromised over slavery in the 1800's Chuck?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Government is now what many of them spoke against.  It is a government of tyranny.  A government of lawlessness.  Illegal immigration is tyranny against the American People.  They allow it to satisfy greed.

Our Founding Fathers intended for us to be a nation of laws and not men.

Jul 25, 2015   
| Blog Post   

Our Founding Fathers intended for us to be a nation of laws and not men. The idea behind this was that while kings could be capricious, the law was not. It was steady and constant and applied equally to the rich and the poor. This has been one of the cornerstones of what made America exceptional. People could base business investments and life decisions on government being consistent in its application of the law.

I believe the ire around sanctuary cities more than anything else has been about another breach of this trust. For the administration to say we will look the other way in the application of federal immigration law represents a challenge to something much more significant than the immigration issues at play in each sanctuary city. It represents a challenge to people’s faith in the even application of law in this country, and if that breaks down all breaks down in our republic.

For this reason, I voted in favor of the Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act which passed the House last night by a vote of 241 -179. Trey Gowdy is a member of the judiciary committee and summed up the issue in his closing statement on the bill here. It’s worth a view.

This bill simply denies sanctuary cities and states from receiving grant money from three programs within the Department of Justice, which are designed to aid state and local law enforcement agencies in enforcing the law. It seems to me common sense to say that if they refuse to enforce federal laws, they should not get the federal funding associated with doing so.

https://sanford.house.gov/media-center/blog-posts/our-founding-fathers-intended-for-us-to-be-a-nation-of-laws-and-not-men
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:38:14 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Victoria33

"'Not only do they not consult us, they can't even get on the same page with their president, the president from their own party. The congressional leaders tell me to negotiate with President Trump. President Trump tells me to figure it out with the congressional leaders. This political Catch-22, never seen before, has driven our government to dysfunction. Americans know why the dysfunction is occurring – a dysfunctional president,' he added."

He is correct.  This is the first time in the history of the country there is a shut down of government when one party had the majority in the House and Senate and the Presidency.  In the past three weeks, Trump has changed his mind numerous times as to what he wanted in the deal with the two parties.  Plus Stephen Miller dealing with immigration in the White House has also shot down every proposal that has come to him.  Dysfunctional is the word for it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:00:39 am by Victoria33 »

BassWrangler

He is correct.  This is the first time in the history of the country there is a shut down of government when one party had the majority in the House and Senate and the Presidency. 

@Victoria33
Incorrect: there  have been 5 previous shutdowns with one party controlling all 3 branches of the federal government: 3 in 1977, and one each in 1978 and 1979. Jimmy Carter was president for all 5.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:11:46 am by BassWrangler »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We were told by Democrats a CR is not the proper place to debate Obamacare, but a CR is a fine place to debate Illegal Immigration?  And we're placing this on Trump?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

BassWrangler

We were told by Democrats a CR is not the proper place to debate Obamacare, but a CR is a fine place to debate Illegal Immigration?  And we're placing this on Trump?

Exactly. I am certainly not shy about criticizing Trump, but the blame for this shutdown tests squarely with the Donks.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
Incorrect: there  have been 5 previous shutdowns with one party controlling all 3 branches of the federal government: 3 in 1977, and one each in 1978 and 1979. Jimmy Carter was president for all 5.

According to Fox News this is the first time.

Also, Trump has said the DACA people will remain in this country (unless he changed his mind yesterday), the majority of Republicans (maybe all, not sure) and all Dems in the senate agree on this, so there is no fight between the parties about them staying.  Apparently, it is the Wall causing the problem with the two groups, why they can't agree on an extension to reopen govn.

We need this spelled out EXACTLY WHY the two sides can't agree to an extension to reopen govn.  Is it DACA or is it the Wall - or what?  What?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:57:53 am by Victoria33 »

BassWrangler

According to Fox News this is the first time.

Look for yourself. It is well documented, even CNN has it:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/us-government-shutdowns-budget-chart/index.html

You are promulgating Dem propaganda.

Offline Victoria33

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/us-government-shutdowns-budget-chart/index.html

Blame Fox News.  I thought the Trump channel was always right.  I didn't think to look it up myself to check if they were right.  I will click on the link you provided.  Thanks.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In all honesty, it was difficult to notice the shutdowns during Carter.  The government didn't work anyway.  Nothing did. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

@BassWrangler

I SEE THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT YOU SAID.  It is the first time the REPUBLICANS have had all three branches and the govn. shut down.  That is what I meant, the REPUBLICANS.  I didn't make that clear enough with my post.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:09:39 am by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

Back to the shutdown.  I will repeat what I said:

"We need this spelled out EXACTLY WHY the two sides can't agree to an extension to reopen govn.  Is it DACA or is it the Wall - or what?  What?" 

I will write my senator, Cruz, tomorrow, and ask him what they are fighting about.  What?  I had better not get a canned phrase, such as, "Democrats won't compromise.", or some other useless words.  I want to know exactly what is the problem.

Offline endicom

Back to the shutdown.  I will repeat what I said:

"We need this spelled out EXACTLY WHY the two sides can't agree to an extension to reopen govn.  Is it DACA or is it the Wall - or what?  What?" 

I will write my senator, Cruz, tomorrow, and ask him what they are fighting about.  What?  I had better not get a canned phrase, such as, "Democrats won't compromise.", or some other useless words.  I want to know exactly what is the problem.

Ted Cruz
‏
Verified account

@tedcruz
 9h9 hours ago
More Ted Cruz Retweeted Donald J. Trump
.@realDonaldTrump is right. We've voted to fund entire govt; Dems voted to shut it down. If Dems demand amnesty for illegal aliens as the price for reopening the govt & funding our military, we should just change the rules & fund the govt with 51 votes. End the #SchumerShutdownTed Cruz added,
Donald J. Trump
Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
Great to see how hard Republicans are fighting for our Military and Safety at the Border. The Dems just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked. If stalemate continues, Republicans should go to 51% (Nuclear Option) and vote on real, long term budget, no C.R.’s!
3,063 replies 12,061 retweets 26,172 likes

https://twitter.com/tedcruz

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:44:21 am by endicom »

Offline Frank Cannon

Blame Fox News.  I thought the Trump channel was always right.  I didn't think to look it up myself to check if they were right.  I will click on the link you provided.  Thanks.

Lady. The stuff you post about tells me you are at least in your 80's. You know damn well we used to have routine shutdowns through Carter and Reagan. It was no big deal. It wasn't until Clintoon figured out he could weaponize it that everyone started panicking over it.

If the GOP had any balls, they would leave it shut down for a month to show everyone that it isn't a big deal.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
When I want an American History lesson, Chuckie the Bet Winning Beer Fart is always my Go To Source.

Compromise, the way General Washington Compromised with the Hessians at Trenton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trenton
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

BassWrangler

@BassWrangler

I SEE THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT YOU SAID.  It is the first time the REPUBLICANS have had all three branches and the govn. shut down.  That is what I meant, the REPUBLICANS.  I didn't make that clear enough with my post.

@Victoria33
Ok, in your post you said "This is the first time in the history of the country there is a shut down of government when one party had the majority in the House and Senate and the Presidency", no mention of Republicans. I just brought it up because I have seen leftists (which I know you are not) using this false talking point. Just wanted to make sure people knew that was false so they can refute that talking point if they hear it elsewhere. Sounds like we're in agreement, so I'll drop it. Got to get to work.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:52:18 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline skeeter

Lady. The stuff you post about tells me you are at least in your 80's. You know damn well we used to have routine shutdowns through Carter and Reagan. It was no big deal. It wasn't until Clintoon figured out he could weaponize it that everyone started panicking over it.

If the GOP had any balls, they would leave it shut down for a month to show everyone that it isn't a big deal.

Anyone who's been paying attention over the past 30 or 40 years understands how much a steady stream of impoverished illegals means to the future of the democrat party. They attempted to use the 'shithole' ploy to shove amnesty without restriction down Trump's throat and failed. The shutdown is the obvious plan B.

Is it really necessary to point out that the democrats do not deal in good faith.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:00:49 pm by skeeter »

Offline jpsb

@BassWrangler

It takes 60 votes in the Senate to move legislation. The GOP has 51 votes in the Senate so
nothing can pass in the Senate without the help of 10+ Democrats. The Democrats shut the
government down not the GOP. The Democrats put the interests of those in the country illegally
ahead of the interests of American citizens and legal residents.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
@BassWrangler

And yet Another great reason to stay with the Party and work Within it.

They own both Houses and the WH, and they shut the Rats hands Out of the Cookie Jar, at least for a while.

Winning!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Oceander

:bigsilly:

That’s rich coming from an uncompromising bastard like Schumer.  Where was this sense of comity and compromise back when Obamacare was rammed through?

BassWrangler

:bigsilly:

That’s rich coming from an uncompromising bastard like Schumer.  Where was this sense of comity and compromise back when Obamacare was rammed through?

Exactly! And why doesn't the media ever bring that up!!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Government is now what many of them spoke against.  It is a government of tyranny.  A government of lawlessness.  Illegal immigration is tyranny against the American People.  They allow it to satisfy greed.

Our Founding Fathers intended for us to be a nation of laws and not men.

Jul 25, 2015   
| Blog Post   

Our Founding Fathers intended for us to be a nation of laws and not men. The idea behind this was that while kings could be capricious, the law was not. It was steady and constant and applied equally to the rich and the poor. This has been one of the cornerstones of what made America exceptional. People could base business investments and life decisions on government being consistent in its application of the law.

I believe the ire around sanctuary cities more than anything else has been about another breach of this trust. For the administration to say we will look the other way in the application of federal immigration law represents a challenge to something much more significant than the immigration issues at play in each sanctuary city. It represents a challenge to people’s faith in the even application of law in this country, and if that breaks down all breaks down in our republic.

For this reason, I voted in favor of the Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act which passed the House last night by a vote of 241 -179. Trey Gowdy is a member of the judiciary committee and summed up the issue in his closing statement on the bill here. It’s worth a view.

This bill simply denies sanctuary cities and states from receiving grant money from three programs within the Department of Justice, which are designed to aid state and local law enforcement agencies in enforcing the law. It seems to me common sense to say that if they refuse to enforce federal laws, they should not get the federal funding associated with doing so.

https://sanford.house.gov/media-center/blog-posts/our-founding-fathers-intended-for-us-to-be-a-nation-of-laws-and-not-men

That is so great.  A much-needed bill.  It infuriates me that people in power in these extreme leftist enclaves can flout the law and dare us to do anything about it.

When the money fries up, we will see just how passionate they really are about protecting illegals.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
"'Not only do they not consult us, they can't even get on the same page with their president, the president from their own party. The congressional leaders tell me to negotiate with President Trump. President Trump tells me to figure it out with the congressional leaders. This political Catch-22, never seen before, has driven our government to dysfunction. Americans know why the dysfunction is occurring – a dysfunctional president,' he added."

He is correct.  This is the first time in the history of the country there is a shut down of government when one party had the majority in the House and Senate and the Presidency.  In the past three weeks, Trump has changed his mind numerous times as to what he wanted in the deal with the two parties.  Plus Stephen Miller dealing with immigration in the White House has also shot down every proposal that has come to him.  Dysfunctional is the word for it.

No, he has not.  And I'm a little sad that you fell for Schumer's line on this.

Trump has been firm on this and, because Lindsey Graham chose to scapegoat Miller does not mean that Miller was wrong.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.