Author Topic: McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate  (Read 343 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:22:10 pm »
McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate
By Brett Samuels - 01/21/18 10:07 AM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Sunday expressed opposition to using the “nuclear option” to allow the Senate to pass a long-term budget with 51 votes.

“The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,” a spokesman for McConnell said.

President Trump earlier Sunday suggested Republicans should deploy the tactic if the Senate is unable to come to an agreement to fund the government.

Doing so would allow the party, which holds 51 seats in the Senate, to pass legislation without a single Democratic vote.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/369984-mcconnell-opposes-nuclear-option-in-budget-debate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:27:05 pm »
Even if they did invoke the nuke....Probably couldn't get 51  votes on a buget anyway with some of the squishy bellied no account republican we have in the Senate these days.

Piddiful.  Just piddiful 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: McConnell opposes 'nuclear option' in budget debate
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:33:43 pm »
Even if they did invoke the nuke....Probably couldn't get 51  votes on a buget anyway with some of the squishy bellied no account republican we have in the Senate these days.

Piddiful.  Just piddiful

A budget - maybe.  Endless CRs - no.

They'd never go with a straight 51 on all measures, because too much pressure would come from the right.  The 60 gives them the latitude to go conservative on things they know won't get cloture.  After that, they say 'oh, well.....we tried.'
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:37:04 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.