Author Topic: Washington Post bungles simple Eric Trump quote  (Read 579 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Washington Post bungles simple Eric Trump quote
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:48:58 pm »
The Washington Post erroneously reported Thursday that President Trump's middle son, Eric, bragged that his 401(k) had increased in value since his father's election. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

But you’d think otherwise from reading the initial version of a Washington Post story published early Thursday morning.

The report’s original headline read, “Eric Trump’s 401k is up by 35 percent, but half of American families don’t even have one.”

The problem here is that Eric Trump didn’t actually say his 401(k) has increased. Rather, he said someone else told him that.

"Every single day I walked on the street and people come up to me," Eric Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity. "They hugged me. 'Tell your father we say thank you. You know what, I just opened up my 401(k), I haven't looked at in a year. It is up by 35 percent. I mean, I didn't think retirement was possible.'”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-post-bungles-simple-eric-trump-quote/article/2646413
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

Re: Washington Post bungles simple Eric Trump quote
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:41:57 pm »
I wonder if the Post will trust a rush transcript from Fox News in the future?  From the link in the OP:

"Part of the likely problem here is that Fox News’ rush transcript of Trump’s appearance was inaccurate, as the Washington Free Beacon’s Alex Griswold noted. The inaccurate quote that appeared in the transcript is what also appeared in the original version of the Post story."

Maybe the headline should have read:  "Fox News Bungles Rush Transcript of Eric Trump Quote".   :whistle:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:16:38 pm »
I wonder if the Post will trust a rush transcript from Fox News in the future?  From the link in the OP:

"Part of the likely problem here is that Fox News’ rush transcript of Trump’s appearance was inaccurate, as the Washington Free Beacon’s Alex Griswold noted. The inaccurate quote that appeared in the transcript is what also appeared in the original version of the Post story."

Maybe the headline should have read:  "Fox News Bungles Rush Transcript of Eric Trump Quote".   :whistle:

So you are confirming that the Wapo just regurgitates stories from other places without a simple fact check.   

But then you knew that, didn't you.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:23:39 pm »
So you are confirming that the Wapo just regurgitates stories from other places without a simple fact check.   

But then you knew that, didn't you.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  If you think using a quote provided in a transcript by another news source is "regurgitating stories from other places without a simple fact check", fair enough.  Prior to this incident, I would have thought it reasonable to assume Fox News provided an accurate transcript of their own interview, but apparently that assumption has now been proven wrong.  As I asked in Reply #1, "I wonder if the Post will trust a rush transcript from Fox News in the future?"  Probably not I suspect.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear.  If you think using a quote provided in a transcript by another news source is "regurgitating stories from other places without a simple fact check", fair enough.  Prior to this incident, I would have thought it reasonable to assume Fox News provided an accurate transcript of their own interview, but apparently that assumption has now been proven wrong.  As I asked in Reply #1, "I wonder if the Post will trust a rush transcript from Fox News in the future?"  Probably not I suspect.

When you consider how often Fox News is trashed by other outlets like WaPo, yes, I find it astounding WaPo would rely on a transcript from Fox, rushed or leisurely.  J/S.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:32:43 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: