Author Topic: House approves spending bill, shifting shutdown drama to Senate  (Read 595 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House approves spending bill, shifting shutdown drama to Senate
« on: January 19, 2018, 12:48:56 am »
House approves spending bill, shifting shutdown drama to Senate
By Cristina Marcos - 01/18/18 07:35 PM EST

The House on Thursday night approved a stopgap measure to keep the government open less than 36 hours before a possible shutdown, shifting the drama to a Senate where Democrats are threatening to block the GOP bill.

The final vote was 230-197, with six Democrats voting for the measure and 11 Republicans voting against it.

The Senate is expected to vote on a procedural motion later on Thursday to take up the House bill. The procedural vote is expected to be approved, but a follow-up procedural motion to move the bill to a final up-or-down vote is expected to fail and may not even clinch a simple majority as several Republicans have already voiced opposition. 

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/369660-house-approves-spending-bill-shifting-shutdown-drama-to-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: House approves spending bill, shifting shutdown drama to Senate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:59 am »
Only the circle of idiots inside the Beltway would find any drama or excitement over any of this.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:55:42 am »
Only the circle of idiots inside the Beltway would find any drama or excitement over any of this.

Well, some people bet on dogs chasing fake rabbits 'Round and 'Round. ...  Meh  :shrug:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:56:42 am »
What about a damn budget instead of kicking the can?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:09:42 am »

The House has passed one.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:35:57 am »
The GOP senate doesn't have enough votes to approve the spending bill ... unless McCain meanders back for a grand entrance, but you know darn well that he'd vote against it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:25 am »

@IsailedawayfromFR

IIRC the house passed all of the required government funding bills following regular order in the budget process prior to the September deadline and every single one of those bills remain in the senate without any action having even been attempted.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:46:48 am »
The House has passed one.
The article says it is a 'stopgap measure'.

Do you call that a budget?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:47:52 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR

IIRC the house passed all of the required government funding bills following regular order in the budget process prior to the September deadline and every single one of those bills remain in the senate without any action having even been attempted.
I understand that, but what Ryan just passed was most definitely not a budget.  It is a 'kick the can'.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:45 am »
I understand that, but what Ryan just passed was most definitely not a budget.  It is a 'kick the can'.
Absolutely!  Ostensibly  in order to allow the senate yet mor time to do its damned job and pass a budget!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:56:55 am »
The article says it is a 'stopgap measure'.

Do you call that a budget?

The House passed a 2018 Budget.  https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/05/house-passes-budget-resolution-the-first-concrete-step-toward-tax-reform.html

More to the point.   
https://www.congress.gov/resources/display/content/Appropriations+for+Fiscal+Year+2018

This latest continuing resolution notwithstanding. The House has done their job.  Senate...not so much.

Frederick Douglass