Author Topic: California AG: Employers Who Cooperate With Federal Immigration Raids Will be Prosecuted  (Read 429 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D-CA) said during a press conference Thursday that employers in California who cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in their rumored upcoming immigration raids would be prosecuted if they cooperate in a manner that violates California law.

https://ntknetwork.com/california-ag-employers-who-cooperate-with-federal-immigration-raids-will-be-prosecuted/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
XX is drawing a line in the sand.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
That seems like obstruction to me
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
That seems like obstruction to me.

Or extortion.  Create a new, complicated law and tell people they'll be prosecuted for breaking it, regardless of ignorance created by its complexity.

The law Becerra is referring to, AB 450, is a complicated law that “puts employers in a difficult situation of having to comply with federal immigration law obligations on one hand and state law requirements on the other.”

“There are new laws in place in California now in 2018 with the advent of 2018. I mentioned two of them specifically, AB 450 and SB 54. AB 450 in particular deals with the workplace in particular and how we go about treating the information about the workplace and employees at the workplace by employers,” Becerra explained. “What we’re trying to make sure is that employers are aware that in 2018, there is a new law in place.”
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline the_doc

I would love to be interrogated by ICE and threatened with jail time if I am uncooperative.  I would get the feds to draw up and sign a statement threatening me, and I would cheerfully comply with their demands.  I would then request that they forward the document to the California AG along with a copy of a letter thanking me for my cooperation.

I would dearly hope that the State of California would promptly arrest me.  I would sue the State for a gazillion dollars and I would beat them like a drum in court.