Author Topic: Divers find 'amazing' underwater tunnel network that could unravel mysteries of Mayan civilisation  (Read 629 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mayan-civilisation-underwater-tunnel-network-divers-yucatan-gran-acuifero-maya-cenote-guillermo-de-a8163326.html

A team of divers have discovered what is believed to be the biggest flooded cave on the planet in eastern Mexico.

By connecting two underwater caverns, the Gran Acuifero Maya (GAM) project identified the 216 mile (347km) cave after months of exploring a maze of underwater channels.

The project, which is dedicated to the study and preservation of the subterranean waters of the Yucatan peninsula, said the discovery could shine new light on the ancient Mayan civilisation.

Near the beach resort of Tulum, the group found that the cave system known as Sac Actun, once measured at 163 miles (263km), communicated with the 52 mile (83km) Dos Ojos system, the GAM said in a statement. Because of this, Sac Actun has now absorbed Dos Ojos.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.