Author Topic: Boom: Over Two Million Workers Have Received Bonuses And Raises Thanks To Trump's Tax Bill  (Read 1046 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
So far, so good.

Boom: Over Two Million Workers Have Received Bonuses And Raises Thanks To Trump's Tax Bill

The Republican tax reform package, the most extensive in 30 years, is so terrible that over two million workers have received bonuses and raises since it was signed into law on December 22, 2017. Paul Bedard at The Washington Examiner has been compiling the list, citing over 100 companies that have doled out bonuses of at least $1,000 or more since the bill became law, some are now approaching $3,000, with increased 401k contributions, and wages.....

......Even part-time workers are receiving bonuses, albeit smaller ones. It’s creating a better job creating and investing climate. File this under Obama couldn’t have managed it.

Companies also announced increased U.S. investment and boosting philanthropic activity as well. Fiat Chrysler not only said they would be giving workers a $2,000 bonus, but would be investing $1 billion in a plant in Michigan. Guy has also covered the damage, and by damage, we mean tremendous economic news; brought on by this bill. The Democrats rolled the dice betting against the American worker and middle class. Now, they’re choking on the crow they’re eating. ....

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/01/15/boom-over-two-million-workers-have-received-bonuses-and-raises-thanks-to-trumps-n2434777
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:51:31 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Fiat Chrysler not only said they would be giving workers a $2,000 bonus, but would be investing $1 billion in a plant in Michigan.

Fantastic.  Feel free to cut the rest of us a check, as well.

Chrysler won't repay bailout money

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler LLC will not repay U.S. taxpayers more than $7 billion in bailout money it received earlier this year and as part of its bankruptcy filing.

This revelation was buried within Chrysler's bankruptcy filings last week and confirmed by the Obama administration Tuesday. The filings included a list of business assumptions from one of the company's key financial advisors in the bankruptcy case.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news/companies/chrysler_loans/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Fantastic.  Feel free to cut the rest of us a check, as well.

Chrysler won't repay bailout money

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Chrysler LLC will not repay U.S. taxpayers more than $7 billion in bailout money it received earlier this year and as part of its bankruptcy filing.

This revelation was buried within Chrysler's bankruptcy filings last week and confirmed by the Obama administration Tuesday. The filings included a list of business assumptions from one of the company's key financial advisors in the bankruptcy case.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/05/news/companies/chrysler_loans/

I discount anything that opens with "Boom" as the raving of an idiot.

The fact is that a lot of people are getting laid off these days as well.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Please provide a  link to your statement "the fact is that people are getting laid off these days as well".

Since you don't like the "Boom" intro; USA Today posted a similar article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/11/list-companies-paid-bonuses-boosted-pay-since-tax-bill-passed/1023848001/

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Concerned

Please provide a  link to your statement "the fact is that people are getting laid off these days as well".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/11/list-companies-paid-bonuses-boosted-pay-since-tax-bill-passed/1023848001/

There have been 10K layoffs this month alone according to DailyJobCuts, another 5K in December, and 12K in November.  The January numbers include hundreds at Comcast and 1,000 at Walmart which both announced bonuses as a result of the tax bill and a second round of layoffs (215) at the Carrier plant Trump took credit for saving from Mexico.  It also includes over 1,000 at Allergan and 300 at Pfizer. There will also be over 300 in 2018 at AT&T which also announced bonuses.  DailyJobCuts appears to update their information daily so we can see any increase in layoff activity on a day-to-day basis.

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/

https://americaclosed.com/att-layoffs-2018-missouri-michigan/

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/11/news/companies/trump-carrier-plant-layoffs/index.html

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

The January numbers include hundreds at Comcast and 1,000 at Walmart which both announced bonuses as a result of the tax bill and a second round of layoffs (215) at the Carrier plant Trump took credit for saving from Mexico.  It also includes over 1,000 at Allergan and 300 at Pfizer. There will also be over 300 in 2018 at AT&T which also announced bonuses.

I really hope some of these companies aren't doling out severance packages, then trying to classify them as bonuses.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Except of course if you're 'The Rich'.

Is that your argu---

No, I don't even Want to Try understand your argument.

Because "I discount anything that opens with unsubstantiated "I just want to make sure every knows I hate Trump" as the raving of an idiot." again and again and again.

You're a Constitutional Extremist but Tax Cuts for the Rich/SSSS upset you.

As a Constitutional Extremist you're in favor of a progressive Marxist income tax?

As a Constitutional Extremist this Tax Cut pkg - as the Rats put it - GIVES Money to the Rich at the expense of the poor?

As a Constitutional Extremist the idea that the Money the Rich are paying in taxes isn't a gift from Government to begin with, eludes you?

As A Constitutional Extremist it's Your position that this Tax Cut is a Failure because it hasn't provided Govt Run Full Employment?

Which Constitution would this be?

http://www.cpusa.org/party_info/cpusa-constitution/
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
There have been 10K layoffs this month alone according to DailyJobCuts, another 5K in December, and 12K in November.  The January numbers include hundreds at Comcast and 1,000 at Walmart which both announced bonuses as a result of the tax bill and a second round of layoffs (215) at the Carrier plant Trump took credit for saving from Mexico.  It also includes over 1,000 at Allergan and 300 at Pfizer. There will also be over 300 in 2018 at AT&T which also announced bonuses.  DailyJobCuts appears to update their information daily so we can see any increase in layoff activity on a day-to-day basis.

http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/

https://americaclosed.com/att-layoffs-2018-missouri-michigan/

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/11/news/companies/trump-carrier-plant-layoffs/index.html

Thanks for the info.   :beer:

Offline MajorClay

Boom indeed

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

And getting rid of Obamacare would also benefit part-time workers as employers would probably make them full time if they didn't have to provide insurance for full time workers.

I think it would be a good thing for employers to provide insurance but being forced to do so has caused many employers to keep workers a few hours below full-time status.

Consequences, you know.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I really hope some of these companies aren't doling out severance packages, then trying to classify them as bonuses.

My resolution not to respond to anti-Trump idiots is wavering.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

No, you don't hope that.

You are a person that would love, love, love for the economy to go south as long as you could blame it on Trump.

That is a mean point of view.

But, happily for most of us, the economy is booming right now.

Offline edpc

No, you don't hope that.

You are a person that would love, love, love for the economy to go south as long as you could blame it on Trump.

That is a mean point of view.

But, happily for most of us, the economy is booming right now.

As usual, you have no idea what you’re talking about. When I first joined here, I noticed some people picked on you.  I understand why, because you are a special kind of vapid.

In mid 2009, during the downturn, I was laid off, despite the fact I work in a generally safe and recession proof industry.  For 18 months, I sent out resumes and and never even got a ‘thanks for applying’ reply. To make ends meet, I loaded FedEx trucks in freezing cold or blazing hot conditions, depending on the weather. I also worked a call center, listening to people bitch about crap like our product did not come in a size 28, when I and millions had actual problems. Those two jobs provided a fraction of my former salary, so I had to take the penalty and dip into the 401K.  Thankfully, I was able to get back into my field, but I’m still playing catch-up.

With about 15-20 years left of good, productive years, I should be able to do fine, as long as nothing serious like that happens again.  So, no – I do not wish for that for anyone, no matter who is in office.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:37:28 pm by edpc »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

As usual, you have no idea what you’re talking about. When I first joined here, I noticed some people picked on you.  I understand why, because you are a special kind of vapid.

In mid 2009, during the downturn, I was laid off, despite the fact I work in a generally safe and recession proof industry.  For 18 months, I sent out resumes and and never even got a ‘thanks for applying’ reply. To make ends meet, I loaded FedEx trucks in freezing cold or blazing hot conditions, depending on the weather. I also worked a call center, listening to people bitch about crap like our product did not come in a size 28, when I and millions had actual problems. Those two jobs provided a fraction of my former salary, so I had to take the penalty and dip into the 401K.  Thankfully, I was able to get back into my field, but I’m still playing catch-up.

With about 15-20 years left of good, productive years, I should be able to do fine, as long as nothing serious like that happens again.  So, no – I do not wish for that for anyone, no matter who is in office.

I am truly sorry that happened to you.  I wouldn't wish it on anybody.  We had a bad economy for years and my point was simply that Trump SEEMS to be making it better.

That does not mean that every individual in the country will be doing better.  As someone said, "Life is good, but it isn't fair."

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

Cheer up Ed. I HAD 15 years of that stinking Communist garbage living in Commie-fornia, when I was lucky enough to Find it.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

Cheer up Ed. I HAD 15 years of that stinking Communist garbage living in Commie-fornia, when I was lucky enough to Find it.

Yeah – I know some people had it worse. I’m just bent out of shape, because my original comment was in defense of people who get laid off. I’m very much a free-market capitalist, but I’m painfully aware of the stunts corporations sometimes pull for the sake of numbers.

Offline ConservativeGranny

I wouldn't put it past them. I also wondered if any of those losing their jobs also received "bonuses" or "raises".

Carrier is just one of the companies that made it look like they had a change of heart about moving jobs to Mexico and then did it anyway. There seems to be some Kabuki Theater going on. Walmart was another one that touted these bonuses and then suddenly closed the doors on 63 Sam's Clubs leaving over 10,000 people without jobs. Something is odd about all of these. Perhaps Walmart could afford to give the bonuses knowing it was going to close these stores and it had nothing to do at all with Trump?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I wouldn't put it past them. I also wondered if any of those losing their jobs also received "bonuses" or "raises".

Carrier is just one of the companies that made it look like they had a change of heart about moving jobs to Mexico and then did it anyway. There seems to be some Kabuki Theater going on. Walmart was another one that touted these bonuses and then suddenly closed the doors on 63 Sam's Clubs leaving over 10,000 people without jobs. Something is odd about all of these. Perhaps Walmart could afford to give the bonuses knowing it was going to close these stores and it had nothing to do at all with Trump?

My sister is getting a thousand dollar bonus from Walmart but points out that only a very small percentage of Walmart employees have worked for the company for the required 20 years.

Offline Frank Cannon

Perhaps Walmart could afford to give the bonuses knowing it was going to close these stores and it had nothing to do at all with Trump?

Like hell. Wally's, Home Depot and a bunch of box chains have been dealing with their hubris of over-expansion for the last 10  years. Wally's shut down over 150 stores in '16 alone. You remember them passing out bonuses after that round? Nope.

BTW, love your irrational and deranged Trump hate. It's entertaining to me to see people like you and other Trump haters in genuine despair and anger everyday.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:11:19 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Like hell. Wally's, Home Depot and a bunch of box chains have been dealing with their hubris of over-expansion for the last 10  years. Wally's shut down over 150 stores in '16 alone. You remember them passing out bonuses after that round? Nope.

BTW, love your irrational and deranged Trump hate. It's entertaining to me to see people like you and other Trump haters in genuine despair and anger everyday.

IMHO I see that the economy is in an 'adjustment' period.  Trump's tax cuts haven't been truly felt yet, and companies also may be re-organizing to take advantage of those cuts for expansion as  I did read reports of cases where jobs were lost, but a lot of those people were offered jobs in different sectors or locations within the organization.

I think it would be prudent to realize just how much the MSM hates Trump and that their focus is always going to be reporting the negatives rather than the positives.  I have a hunch that the number of sustainable jobs will far exceed jobs lost by the end of this year ... along with increases in the majority of paychecks and a decrease in their tax burden.  Once the majority of people experience the opposite of what the MSM is trying to spin, the MSM will lose a lot of credibility.

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah – I know some people had it worse. I’m just bent out of shape, because my original comment was in defense of people who get laid off. I’m very much a free-market capitalist, but I’m painfully aware of the stunts corporations sometimes pull for the sake of numbers.

Yer just a Negative Nelly. Admit it.

Offline edpc

More of the ‘Hot In Here’ Nelly, as opposed to the Little House On The Prairie one.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:30:24 pm by edpc »