Author Topic: Trump: Immigration Deal Presented Thursday 'Was A Big Step Backwards'  (Read 472 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump: Immigration Deal Presented Thursday 'Was A Big Step Backwards'

By Susan Jones | January 12, 2018 | 8:17 AM EST

According to The Washington Times, the deal offered Mr. Trump less than 10 percent of his border wall, and only a 3 percent cut to existing paths of family-based chain migration.

It would have eliminated the Diversity Visa Lottery, but it would have taken those 50,000 annual lottery visas and used them to create a new pathway to citizenship for hundreds of thousands of foreigners in the U.S. under temporary humanitarian protections (TPS).

The majority of those TPS immigrants are from countries such as El Salvador, Haiti and Honduras, and -- according to the Times -- "the demand that they be covered in any immigration deal appeared to irk the president." (It was in this context that he made the "shithole countries" comment.)

The DACA fix offered by Durbin-Graham et al reportedly includes a 12-year pathway to citizenship for dreamers, who would be able to sponsor relatives for temporary legal status in the United States.

Earlier this week, in his televised meeting with Republicans and Democrats, Trump laid out his non-negotiable elements of immigration reform:

"Any legislation on DACA must secure the border with a wall, it must give our immigration officers the resources they need to stop illegal immigration, and also to stop visa overstays, and crucially, the legislation must end chain migration. It must end the visa lottery. Dangerous," Trump said.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/trump-immigration-deal-presented-thursday-was-big-step-backwards

I agree with President Trump.

Changed my mind and posted the excerpt.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:46:53 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump: Immigration Deal Presented Thursday 'Was A Big Step Backwards'
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »
Of course it was.  He knows Congress would never agree to everything he campaigned on.  So did everyone else.  Consequently, they bring him something equally unacceptable in the first round.  Perhaps he should read his own book or attend a Chester Karrass seminar.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:15 pm »
Of course it was.  He knows Congress would never agree to everything he campaigned on.  So did everyone else.  Consequently, they bring him something equally unacceptable in the first round.  Perhaps he should read his own book or attend a Chester Karrass seminar.

Right, read the book.  Maybe he will get the answer on how to win and win bigly.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline anubias

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »
The title is rather misleading when one actually reads the article.

Trump was not happy with the GOP/Dem immigration deal.  Thankfully, he nixed it.  I hope he sticks to his guns and gets closer to what he specifically told them he expects.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:57 pm »
The title is rather misleading when one actually reads the article.

Trump was not happy with the GOP/Dem immigration deal.  Thankfully, he nixed it.  I hope he sticks to his guns and gets closer to what he specifically told them he expects.

Dems don't want any deals, they want to run out the clock until the mid-terms.   They certainly don't want to give Trump any victories.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:50:40 am »
Dems don't want any deals, they want to run out the clock until the mid-terms.   They certainly don't want to give Trump any victories.

Let them shut down the government then.  I think they are taking a gamble because America is tired of unenforced immigration laws.  Mid terms?  They are gambling.  Trump won in some liberal states.